Online consultation results from Dr.Wong

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Thats why I want to wait till im at least 30 before doing a hair transplant.

StrangeKarma

Established Member
Reaction score
HatPrisoner91 said:
gillenator said:
Remember, just because the rate of male pattern baldness progression has been slow, that's NOT AN INDICATION nor any guarantee that it will continue that way. Read enough on the forums in the medicinal categories and you'll see guys posting how OUT OF NOWHERE their hairloss went into high gear. The rate of progression is UNPREDICTABLE. :shock:

I can attest to a rapid loss. I mean I went from thinning in the crown and slight receding hairlines to a full blown Norwood 6 in less than 2 years.

How long were you thinning for before it did that?

StrangeKarma

Established Member
Reaction score
gillenator said:
Remember, just because the rate of male pattern baldness progression has been slow, that's NOT AN INDICATION nor any guarantee that it will continue that way. Read enough on the forums in the medicinal categories and you'll see guys posting how OUT OF NOWHERE their hairloss went into high gear. The rate of progression is UNPREDICTABLE. :shock:

Ugh.... yes I am aware of this factor.. it sucks to hear it, but it's true. I'm sort of at the point of "I don't really care"... but I'm sure if I really started to go bald fast, I would... Nobody in my family is a NW6-7 tho, my moms brothers are all either NW3v or NW4. My father is a NW2.5.

HatPrisoner91

Experienced Member
Reaction score
StrangeKarma said:
How long were you thinning for before it did that?

I would say I first noticed very light thinning in the crown when I was 20ish but it wasn't bad at all and no one else could tell. Around 22, it was noticeable but I had longish hair so no one could tell. By 23/24 I was a NW6. Nice right?

pmill

Reaction score
strangekarma dont listen to anybody..im sick of these bald negative people telling you to hold off or wait or the people that say "i would kill for your hair" and all that crap..nobody lives your life or knows what your selfconscious about...i say go for the procedure and get it done..you will feel so much better once its done...if and i say if your hairline does recede more and you have the money then go get more done and more done and more done,just whatever you do dont listen to these negative people...if you do get this first procedure done and years later your hairline recedes more and it looks bad and u dont want to pay more for another procedure then shaved your head or do whatever you want,,its your life..but if you have the money for this then keep doing it so your hair will look great for a long time...however in my opinion i would get the fue even though its more expensive but no scar and faster recovery.theres so many negative people on this board that try to bring you down the drain with them...GO FOR IT!

G

MHD,

That's why one wants to start with a higher, less dense hairline "definition" when they are young. A higher hairline can still put a decent frame on the face. It does not need to be juvenile.

Also, you make a good point in that yes surgery can advance the loss directly behind the recent transplants. That's why every younger patient needs to recognize that once you start surgery, you are commited to it and many times sooner that you want. Again, another reason to start with a higher hairline.

Yes, transplanted terminal hair can be permanently removed in the future and I know a few guys who ended up doing just that. They were guys who had their hairlines built too low at a young age and now that they are in their late thirties or so, it looks ridiculous.

Guys, always remember one thing. A hairline can always be lowered IF your hairloss progression is not as advanced. But try to raise a transplanted hairline that is too low? That's a bummer for sure. :$

pmill

Reaction score
why would someone get a transplant and then watch their hair decline over the years and have only the transplanted hairs left? why wouldnt you just go get more transplanted so that its always looking good?i dont understand why people complain about this when they know once you get a transplant you might have to get more in the future..and i dont want to hear the money complaint because once you get a transplant you should know that you might have to get more in the future..

s.a.f

Reaction score
Its not about money its about donor supply.

StrangeKarma

Established Member
Reaction score
So, how many more years would you suggest I wait? I'm having trouble styling my hair right now as it is and I really don't like the oval shape my hairline gives my head now. :(

dd11856

Established Member
Reaction score
Stay on meds and wait for hair transplant.

PS
I'd love to have that much of my originial hair left!

s.a.f

Reaction score
People dont realise just how good they have it until their hairloss really progresses. :dunno:

metalheaddude

Reaction score
You know, the more I read about this hair transplant thing the more confused I become by it :dunno:

Why do people always assume a guy who has receaded temples will become a NW5-6?

Maybe his temples will stay like that until he is like 50-60 years old?

So why cant he get a hair transplant now and live out the best years of his life with a nice hairline??

s.a.f

Reaction score
Well thats the thing is'nt it? But in my experience if you're a Norwood 2.5 at the age of 45+ then you're probably safe. However if you're in your 20's and receeding quickly then you're probably headed for a high degree of hairloss.
Looking at your relatives father, grandfathers, uncles hair and how that went is a good indicater.

HatPrisoner91

Experienced Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Well thats the thing is'nt it? But in my experience if you're a Norwood 2.5 at the age of 45+ then you're probably safe. However if you're in your 20's and receeding quickly then you're probably headed for a high degree of hairloss.
Looking at your relatives father, grandfathers, uncles hair and how that went is a good indicater.

Man I wish I had slow hairloss. What I would have given for that!

I ever met my relatives but my dad has it and from pics I have seen, all male relatives were also but to varying degress.

Eureka

Established Member
Reaction score
It's always the same debate, Every time a younger guy talks about getting a hair transplant it's the same.
I fail to see how at 25 this guy's hairloss is going to be so drastically different that at 28 he will be in some amazingly better position. There are quite a few young guys on this forum in and out who have gotten hair transplant young, Where are the horror stories? The only ones I've seen have been from people who get the procedure done for next to nothing in the uk or by some crazy hair transplant surgeon who will do anything for a buck and will tell them anything they want to hear to do so.. But this guy didn't go to bosley.

This guy went to a reputable Doctor and the Doctor didn't say no.. your too young, your hairloss is going to steamroll across your head and it will look terrible.. it will look like HAIRLOSS But a weird hairloss not the attractive good kind that all men aspire to have but a crazy kind that looks like hairloss!.

He says his hairloss is moving slow,no reason to lie.. he's on the 3, he will still have donor hair left after the initial procedure, If his hairloss started at 17?I think he said 17 somewhere and 8 years later it's only as bad as it is in that pic I would say he's in pretty good shape to get an hair transplant.

In the end it's up to you mate, How much does your hairloss effect you? Does the gains outweigh the benefits. Does your hairloss effect your daily life in a noticeable way. A way that an hair transplant would change? Do you want it to change? If You get this procedure done, and 5 years later your hairloss progresses uber fast and it's weirdly noticeable, and you have to go back and get another hair transplant are you prepared to do it again? If in another 5 years after your second procedure you have no donor hair left and your hairloss progresses again, and technology hasn't progressed enough to help. What will you do then? That's worst case scenerio but only you can decide.. No point in taking any serious life advice from any of us.

pmill

Reaction score
i agree with Eureka 100%,i think that you should get the procedures done and i think in the next 10 years something better will be out to multiply donor hairs so you wont be short of them

metalheaddude

Reaction score
pmill said:
i agree with Eureka 100%,i think that you should get the procedures done and i think in the next 10 years something better will be out to multiply donor hairs so you wont be short of them

Thats a hell of risk! But its an educated risk and one ive thought about many times too.

pmill

Reaction score
yea but regardless lets say 3 or more transplants done and worst case senario you become a norwood 6 and you have pretty good hair coverage all over your head which is way better then being bald

metalheaddude

Reaction score
You know what I would happily love to put maximum gratfs in front zones and just go bald on the crown and shave my hair to number 1 or 2 clippers as you could still see the strong outline of the hairline which looks incredibley masculine. Many girls like that look.

Secretly I think you're right. I think its worth the risk. I think 10 years from now we will be able to clone hair. But I dont broadcast this to everyone.