Oral spironolactone - Why is it so quickly demonized here?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a copy of my old post on alt.baldspot about the study which compared the RBAs (relative binding affinity) of spironolactone and various other drugs:

The oldtimers here will recall that for years Dr. P has occasionally referred to a certain unspecified medical study that found that spironolactone has a VERY high affinity for the androgen receptor; indeed, that it binds to the androgen receptor with fully 2/3 of the affinity that DHT itself has!

I recently stumbled across the study while looking for something else. This would be: "The Use of Human Skin Fibroblasts to Obtain Potency Estimates of Drug Binding to Androgen Receptors", Eil and Edelson, J Clin Endocrinol Metab 59:51, 1984.

They found that spironolactone had BY FAR the strongest binding affinity for the human androgen receptor of all the antiandrogens they tested, and this included cyproterone acetate and flutamide (NOT hydroxyflutamide). I'm going to reproduce the entire list of substances that they tested, and the Relative Binding Affinity that they measured for each one, expressed as a percentage of DHT itself. A couple of brief notes, first: at the top of the list are R1881, DHT, and testosterone, all with relative binding affinities set at 100%. R1881 is a powerful synthetic androgen that's frequently used in studies like this because it's not metabolized into anything else. It "stays put", in other words! And you'll probably wonder why testosterone is also listed at 100% along with DHT. This is the actual result they measured, and apparently is because after they added the testosterone to the cell culture, most of it was metabolized into DHT by 5alpha-reductase.

Here's the complete list of substances they tested, and their RBAs. They are listed in descending order of activity. Afterwards I'll have a couple of interesting quotes from the study:

R1881 (methyltrienolone, a powerful synthetic androgen)

DHT

Testosterone

Spironolactone (our good friend spironolactone!)

Danazol (an androgen agonist)

R2956 (a synthetic antiandrogen from Roussel-UCLAF)

Megesterol acetate

Cyproterone acetate

Medroxyprogesterone acetate

Progesterone

Estradiol

Androstenedione

Canrenone

4-Hydroxyandrostenedione

17-Hydroxyprogesterone (note: this is NOT 11alpha-hydroxyprogesterone)

Flutamide

MSD L-642,317 (this is in the finasteride family of compounds)

Testolactone

Cimetidine

MSD L-642,022 (another in the finasteride family)
<0.0005

Diphenylhydantoin
<0.0005

Diazoxide (this is a drug similar to minoxidil)
<0.0005

That's the complete list. Now here are some comments from the "Discussion" section: "The advantages of using dispersed cultured fibroblasts for the comparison are 2-fold: 1) the receptors are from human cells, and 2) the cells are intact, and therefore, the assay system simulates *in vitro* many of the characteristics of the *in vivo* interactions of the compounds with androgen target tissues, such as nuclear localization. The disadvantages include the fact that these *in vitro* receptor studies do not define whether an inhibitor of binding is an agonist or antagonist *in vivo*. Also, metabolism of the compounds to more or less potent congeners, which may occur after clinical use of these drugs, may not be reproduced in the dispersed cell fibroblast assay system. This may account for the unexpected high potency of spironolactone, which is cleared rapidly *in vivo*, and the unexpected low potency of flutamide, which may require hydroxylation for full antiandrogenic activity..."

"...The results of this study indicate that spironolactone is an extremely effective competitor for the androgen receptor, even more potent than previously reported by others. This probably accounts for its therapeutic efficacy in hirsute women and for the high frequency of impotence and gynecomastia in men given the drug. If it can be administered in a form that minimizes its metabolism to canrenone, a much weaker androgen receptor binder, then its antiandrogenicity *in vivo* may be even further enhanced. This could be of potentially great benefit to patients with hirsutism, acne, prostatic hypertrophy and/or carcinoma, and other disorders thought to be due to excess androgen action."

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
seaback said:
So it appears that flutamide by it self is not really potent, but its main metabolite is.

Exactly. Hydroxyflutamide is considerably more potent than flutamide.

seaback said:
spironolactone is a steroidal antiandrogen, flutamide is a non-steroidal AA. So I'm wondering, reading this extract, how can spironolactone has the greatest affinity for AR ? Beside non-steroidal AA, cyproterone acetate seems to have the greatest affinity. I've read several papers, PhD thesis... all of them consider spironolactone as very weak.

Like I said previously, the relative binding affinity of an antiandrogen is just ONE of the factors that determine how potent it is. You have to look at the TOTAL PICTURE to determine how effective it is, like its half-life, its distribution in body tissues, its overall toxicity to the body, etc.

seaback said:
Brian I guess you're right but I can't get it : how do large dose of spironolactone reduce T level ? I thought the T feedback (and production) remained unchanged, and side effects came from the over-aromatization into estrogens. Where and how does spironolactone act to reduce T level ??? I mean, it is known that cyproterone acetate decreases the T production in the adrenal cortex... but what about spironolactone ?

Spironolactone interferes with some of the chemical steps that are involved in producing testosterone. I can't tell you EXACTLY which step or steps those are because I didn't bother to memorize the details, but you could probably find them with some online searching.

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Why didn't you reply to my suggestion about flutamide?

Because I don't know anything about it and did not bother to look.

neis

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
neis said:
seaback,
You might want to consider equol as well. I have been researching this Equol avenue and I do not understand why the crew here hasn't looked more deeply into this avenue. I think it works much the same way as oral spironolactone.

Huh?? No, there's no similarity at all to oral spironolactone. Equol isn't an antiandrogen at all. What equol closely resembles is finasteride and dutasteride, which is why I've never been particularly interested in it (finasteride and dutasteride are cheaper, and much easier to obtain than equol).

Equol doesn't work in exactly the same way as finasteride, but the overall EFFECTS are almost exactly the same.

I agree with you Byan, but I think you missed some variables which should be taken into consideration,
I believe that finasteride nor dutasteride can stop DHT from binding to the hair follicle receptor sites. I think that finasteride nor dutasteride lower DHT levels in the body and that is their only purpose. Equol on the other hand does not lower DHT levels all it does is totally halts DHT from binding to follicle receptor sites. Another great thing about this stuff is that it doesn't mess with our hormons but does a greater job than any other substance to keep DHT from our follicles.

From an article:
"In castrated male rats treated with DHT, concomitant treatment with equol blocked DHT's trophic effects on the ventral prostate gland growth and inhibitory feedback effects on plasma LH levels without changes in circulating DHT"

Just my opinions