Philosoraptor's Story - 24 (Big 3 + miconazole)

philosoraptor

Established Member
Reaction score
Some pics so you can see just how bad this shed has been.

One of the pics I purposefully made it look as worst as I could possibly get it. And the other is how I style it. I can only hide the loss now because of how long my hair is. (about 2 inches)

Hoping for this shed to stop.

Attachments

• styled.jpg
    styled.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 195
  • damage.jpg
    damage.jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 190

wesleyBelgium

Established Member
Reaction score
maybe add msm to your regime
dose : 5000mg with a vitamin c pill...
(vitamin c improves the msm)

philosoraptor

Established Member
Reaction score
wesleyBelgium said:
maybe add msm to your regime
dose : 5000mg with a vitamin c pill...
(vitamin c improves the msm)
I already take MSM. But more because of years of sports and intense physical activity have left some of my joints ragged. I don't take vitamin C, but I do take a multivitamin daily.

philosoraptor

Established Member
Reaction score
irishpride86 said:
philosoraptor said:
The one I take is 1500mg. And it says to take 3 a day. So I do 4500mg per day. Also it is a pill.

what brand do you use and where do you get it ?

The brand is "Finest". It also has glucosamine sulfate in it 1500mg.

I got it at Walgreens I believe. It was less than $10 for 90 caplets, and they had a buy 1 get 1 free deal when I got it.

philosoraptor

Established Member
Reaction score
April 17, 2010: Week 59

Far less shedding this week. Get maybe 20 hairs in the sink. As a opposed to 100-300 a few weeks ago. A few in the shower. And they are typically thinner hairs. I still have a slight itch, but it is better than it used to be. Dandruff is completely gone. I feel this change is a result of adding miconazole. Looking at getting a shampoo with miconazole in it.

Not much else to report. Hoping for some nice thickening for the summer.

Edit: I swear every time I post something positive on here later that same day I see something like a huge shed. Took a shower and had the normal large amount came out. I'm losing a lot from the top of my head rather than the front. Where is I am having the greatest itch. So I can only assume I need to find something for me that completely eliminates the itch and inflammation and hopefully I will stop shedding.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Hope you get some luck going your way man, you seem to be sustaining to some extent. I know everyone gets jealous of the people who have excellent success on finasteride but genetics plays such a huge factor sometimes it is hard to overcome it.

Keep fighting. Irishpride had some problems on this forum and managed to find success with Rogaine and RU.

blink

Established Member
Reaction score
how do you hide your hairloss? one pic looks like drastic thinning... the next looks like no hair loss at all. do you just brush it forward?

philosoraptor

Established Member
Reaction score
Well in the thinning pic I made it look as bad as I possibly could.

Anyway because of the nature of my hair I can create volume so you can't detect my thinning at all. You can barely see through it when up close, but it feels very flat.

What I do is I comb forward and then comb the front straight up. Pretty much undetectable unless you just stare at my head. Even then it just looks a little off not that I am losing.

It only ever looks bad when it is wet.

philosoraptor

Established Member
Reaction score
April 24, 2010: Week 60

Ok so I dropped liquid minoxidil. I used it for most of a year with no problems. But lately the itch and flakiness have gotten out of control. I attribute this to having longer hair and it not evaporating as quickly. I will continue to use foam, but probably only once a day at night. Also I probably will not use nizoral anymore. It doesn't prevent the itch and makes my hair feel like crap.

Also I started using Dr Miracles 2 in 1 shampoo conditioner. I don't expect this to regrow any hair. I got it because it doesn't have SLS in it and it has castor oil and jojoba oil. I guess people say these things help. But it makes my hair so soft and my scalp is in a much better condition. No dryness. Itch greatly reduced. My scalp just feels healthier.

Still use miconazole 2-3 times a week. It's just too damn sticky. I try to use it a few hours before bed so I can wash it out with my nightly shower.

I also started biotin, because I saw it while stocking up on other supplements and it was cheap and figured I had nothing to lose using it.

Still shedding, but far less. Get anywhere from 5-20 hairs while combing. And I can get up to around 50 hairs while showering. But a lot of these are thin hairs. The thicker hairs are usually shorter hairs. I'll occasionally get a long thick hair. I attribute this to the normal cycling of hair. And for all I know all my loss now is normal. I've never kept my hair this long in my life.

Hasn't quite been 90-100 days since the start of my shed so I am hopeful for what I lost to fill back in. It took about that long after my first shed last summer for my hair to fill in enough for me to have the courage to grow it out this long. So I am expecting similar results.

So here is my current regimen.

0.5mg Dutas EOD
1mg finasteride EOD (alternating with dutasteride)
Rogaine foam 1/day
Dr Miracles Shampoo 1/day
Densiti (used as directed)
Miconazole 2-3/week

Supplements (some unrelated to hair loss, but relevant) All taken as recommended daily dose

Zinc
Biotin
Multi-vitamin
Fish oil
MSM

Kind of a lot of stuff, but it doesn't cost much at all, and it isn't hard to stick to.
Until next week.

philosoraptor

Established Member
Reaction score
When I started last year I was on quartered proscar. I experienced a very high libido for a few weeks after starting. It returned to normal and has stayed there since. Even after adding dutasteride and switching to 1mg finasteride.

No ED, no loss of libido, no watery semen, no brain fog, no breast or testicle tenderness, no loss of strength, no weight gain, no weight loss. And I assume it is working because I am really no worse than baseline.

wesleyBelgium

Established Member
Reaction score
max msm thats advised is 8000mg a day , thats 8gr of msm powder...

i use 5gr powder and there are members on ower hairforums that use 7gr of msm....

taking direct vitamin c with the msm when you drink it , would improve the uptake of the msm into the body....
i dont think i works when you take it not together with the msm , i do this on advice of a hair transplant advisor of germany

powder is mostly cheaper then pills... i buy a box of 500 gr....

philosoraptor

Established Member
Reaction score
May 1, 2010: Week 61

Shedding has decreased dramatically. Combing I get anywhere between 5-15 hairs. One time this week I combed and only got 1 thin hair plus some breakage. Itch is gone. Dandruff is gone. Hair feels thicker, but that might just be because it is longer. It also feels healthier.

In the shower I lose a little bit more. Mostly from my vertex. I have not lost enough there for it to be noticeable in any lighting conditions wet or dry.

Not much else to say really. Unrelated to hair loss I was saying earlier this year that it was one of the best of my life. Things have slowed down. Not everything has panned out the way I have hoped and some bad things have happened. But I have surrounded myself with great people and I am optimistic for the future. :)

philosoraptor

Established Member
Reaction score
May 8, 2010: Week 62

Not much to say this week. Still shedding, but not much at all. Most of it from the vertex. Frontal area seems to have stabilized for now. Still waiting to see if I will regrow the shed hairs stronger. It's hard to tell now if I have because my hair is so long.

That's about it. Until next week.

philosoraptor

Established Member
Reaction score
May 15, 2010: Week 63

Again not much to report. Some days I see only 10-15 hairs all thin. Some days I get up to 50 with more thick ones. I haven't really noticed any new growth, but I probably wouldn't with my hair this long. Despite going through this 3 month (so far) shed my hair doesn't look much different. Maybe now that the shed has slowed down I will sort of catch up and start noticing a change?

Anyway, until next week.

philosoraptor

Established Member
Reaction score
May 22, 2010: Week 64

Still riding out this shed. It has been pretty stable over the last couple of weeks, with only 20 hairs max coming out while combing and about the same in the shower. I haven't receded any, but my hairline isn't looking as dense. I have good days and bad ones.

Even though sometimes I think it looks worse I look back on pictures before and during my shed. And really it looks the same. I think just being able to hide it better made me get used to having the appearance of more hair and my standard becomes higher if that makes sense.

It's been about 3 months since this shed started. Some people report sheds that last for up to 4 months. For awhile it was common for me to lose up to 300 hairs in a day. While it has greatly reduced, and some days I see maybe 3 hairs, I am looking forward to the (hopeful) end to this shed and some filling in of what was lost by the end of the summer.

I grow tired of these weekly updates and it makes me feel down every time I visit this website. I'll stick to my regimen, until it gets bad enough for me to completely shave or some permanent or high success rate cure comes around.

Maybe next week, maybe not.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
I wish you the best, sometimes genetics just really suck.

It's obnoxious that otherwise normal, successful people can get stuck with really harsh balding genes.

Keep it up for a while I'd say, try not to lose hopefor now.

philosoraptor

Established Member
Reaction score
Oh, I'm still hopeful. :)

I'm just tired of weekly posts that I don't feel I get anything out of really. Also whenever I visit this site I start feeling depressed when I'm an otherwise upbeat guy.

philosoraptor

Established Member
Reaction score
May 29, 2010: Week 65

15 MONTHS

One day this week I had a lot of hair fall out. I almost just grabbed my clippers and buzzed it down to a 0 because I was tired of seeing hair fall out of my head every day.

I've been growing it out again and it feels thicker as a result. I have good hair days and bad.

Riding out this shed hoping for it to end. I can only assume that I am filling in as I am losing because I have been shedding non stop for over 3 months and haven't noticed a large change in density. My hairline is a bit less dense, but has not receded.

That's about it.