post surgery maintenance

emery

Established Member
Reaction score
I have spent quite sometime now to educate myself on the steps need to know before a transplant, thanks to this website. however, now i am worried about the post surgery maintenance, is it difficult?

i am looking particularly in the first 3 months after surgery.. can i sleep well, or shower/shampoo regularly? actually, i m planning to go on a 30 days road trip 1 month after the transplant.. do you guys think it is a good idea?

hairtech

Established Member
Reaction score
With FUE or strip you should not have to much difficulty post op. Which one are you having and I can give you specifics.

hairtech

Established Member
Reaction score
I like the message about not staring into a mirror Falc. Very important.

G

Your Doctor probably has post-op instructions available for you as well. I would not expose my scalp post-op to the sun even with sun screen. You can also take extra vitamin C which can also facilitate the healing process.

hairtech

Established Member
Reaction score
One of my own pet peeves is not putting ANY pressure on the strip sutures for some time post op. I mean don't bend over and strain picking up stuff. Don't do neck stretches with weight... stuff like that.

Another one of mine is that patients NEED to wash there grafts once per day and after a couple of weeks, they need to be aggressive about scrubbing the scalp.

jj_24

Established Member
Reaction score
So there is no way to hide this from coworkers? I would like to get something done but cant get too long off work and know I will never hear the end from coworkers. Do they always shave your head? I cant wear a hat at work. Are there any options? I dont want to look like a freak and hear tons of comments like oh my god what happened to your head.

s.a.f

Reaction score
jj_24 said:
So there is no way to hide this from coworkers? I would like to get something done but cant get too long off work and know I will never hear the end from coworkers. Do they always shave your head? I cant wear a hat at work. Are there any options? I dont want to look like a freak and hear tons of comments like oh my god what happened to your head.

Basicly it depends largely on the op itself, if you are having a small FUE to the hairline it will only be visible for a couple of weeks. The donor area will be fine once the hair grows back a bit and your existing hair could be combed down to hide the recipient area.
But with strip surgery you will most likely be having a larger area worked on and it will take more hair growth to hide the strip scar. Probably twice as much time off work is needed for strip surgery. Its often a good idea to get a buzz cut before you leave work so that people are already used to seeing you with short hair.
Its a sacrifice that you have to make. :( :dunno:

hairtech

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes bro it can be camouflaged. And there are great discussions on other boards that deaql with recipient site size as to how much scabbing will develop down to what clinics insist on shaving everything.

Now if I had my way as a seasoned technician that cared about every patient considering hair transplant, I would say that shaving is awesome for the technician and/or doctor.

On a shaved head, we as technicians can place with rapid speed and accuracy. However, this is a rare occurance as most folks know, most of the time the patient is having a transplant incognito... and in some instances hiding it from family members. And even in these cases this can happen with seasoned technicians. So to answer your question hiding should not be a problem.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Obviously it makes it easier for the surgeons to shave and in my experience most of the top Dr's absolutely insist on shaving right down. But do you think many would compromise and allow you to just buzz it short?

jj_24

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the answers guys. I am thinking of getting something done. I can get it for free with my health insurance once I am married. I feel like I should do it when its free but dont wnat everyone to know. Does Armani insist on shaving does anyone know?

G

May I ask just exactly how it is covered by health insurance since hair transplants are an elective procedure. Is it related to some accident that happened?

jj_24

Established Member
Reaction score
No it is part of the city's health insurance. The teachers have a cosmetic rider. They are union and fight for it. You can get any cosmetic surgery fopr a small copay.

G

Amazing. This is the first I have heard of something like this for hair transplants! :bravo:

vayder

Reaction score
Hello boys,

I'm getting 4000 grafts FUE next week from a good doctor. Don't know how he's gonna finish 4000 FUE in a couple of days...Well, my question. How many days should I take off work for healing and all that? Thanks guys

s.a.f

Reaction score
Well FUE is a much less physicaly traumatic procedure but since you'll probably be having both donor and recipient area shaved its still going to take more than a few days before you can face people. Unless of course you have the option of wearing a hat. Generally my advice is always take the absolute max amount of time off. (and then some).

G

Are you sure you want 4,000 FUE extractions taken from your scalp donor?