Proxiphen is it worth it?

withoutwords

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting Proxiphen i do have some questions
is it really worth the cost
and does it take the place of using minoxidil.

i really do want to regrow some hair so should i go for it?

CCS

Reaction score
It depends if you can afford it and what kind of hair loss you have. If you have light peak fuzz over relatively small area that topicals can easily be spread on, then it would be good for you. Rogain migh regrow such peach fuzz, but you'd have to use it twice a day the rest of your life not miss too many days or it falls out. The proxiphen actually repairs the follicle, i think, and can help even smaller peach fuzz than the minoxidil can. Yes, it replaces minoxidil where you apply it, for one application of the day.

If you have diffuse hair, it is not for you. Get prox-N instead if you have a lot more minaturization than propecia alone will regrow. If you have a wide area, you will be spending more money.

SODs are good because they kind of turn back the clock so propecia can kind of hold your gaines for you, and you can use them less frequently and not have a huge shed right when you stop temporarily. Stop with rogaine, and you many get a shed that will continue even after you restart, if you were on it long enough and stayed off long enough. But with rogaine, you will end up where you would have been without it, eventually after the shed. you just need another 2 months to see regrowth again and a year to get back to where you would have been had you been on it the whole time.

SODs don't seem to have the internal side effects minoxidil sometimes has.

withoutwords

Reaction score
well my situation is i receded at the temples and hairline, then more at the temples i dont really have peach fuss on my hairline it just hair kinda of thinned and then balled. I just started propecia and rogain this weak. I would really like to regrow my hair line that has been balding for almost 2 years (i am 20) so is Proxiphen my best shot?
also do order proxiphen i have to call him? how does that work since i do have a prescriptoin for propecia from my doctor
PS. SO if i go on proxiphen should i still use rogain once a day?

CCS

Reaction score
use rogain in the thin areas that you don't apply proxiphen. minoxidil is good for growing longer hairs in areas in areas that are thinner than propecia will fix. If you can regrow it with propecia, then you don't want the minoxidil, but most people don't want to wait long enough to find out, and most people often need both.

Yeah, call him. I forgot it was by prescription only. If your hair balded, this is your best bet. And if he charges you for a prescription, make sure you asked all your questions about hair loss. I'm going to get it. My hair grafts are nice, but they just are nto as thick as I want, or women want.

beaner

Reaction score
This is my opinion on Proxiphen. I think the stuff is probably a good hairloss treatment that covers all the bases. The price of the stuff is nothing short of robbery...and also to get this off my chest....the amazing before and after pictures of the proxiphen user on the website, while I won't say it was doctored...in the before picture, it seems to me that the guys head was shaved down really short on top, while in the after picture it was obviously much longer which would contribute to the appearance of more hair....and in each picture, he is tipping his head lower, creating the illusion of more hair in the front. I am really skeptical that Proxiphen could produce those results in the supposed 9 months.

http://www.drproctor.com/Proxtx.html

CCS

Reaction score
yeah, i noticed the head tipping too. Many product after pictures do that. many also have no flash.

I just really want to grow some hair below my current hair line, and think this is my best shot, and think if I can do it with the equivalent of 6 dops a day, I can make it last 5 months.

I just wonder if I'm using prox-N, NANO, eucapil, minoxidil, and dutasteride, how much more effective the proxiphen can be. It is a cream, though.

beaner

Reaction score
I wanted to say something before, but some people here seem to think Dr Proctor is the cat's ***, and I truly don't want to offend anyone.....I've got a few beers in me however, and I can say that I find it hard to have faith in someone who answers questions in the fashion that Proctor does...very short, sometimes rude, and almost never helpful....most of the one's I've read basically stated that he had no clue and they should ask their doctor......maybe he 's just being honest, but he's not very tactful. Also, I have a hard time buying hair loss treatments from a guy who looks like Newman from "Seinfeld".....I'm not really serious about that statement, but he does look like him....see my avatar...I'll change it later.

CCS

Reaction score
yeah, it is interesting he has spironolactone and minoxidil in the same container and has not patented it yet. I wonder if when people started widely realizing the two react, compared to when proxiphen first came out. I hope prox-N does something. I told a lot of people to use it.

beaner

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
yeah, it is interesting he has spironolactone and minoxidil in the same container and has not patented it yet. I wonder if when people started widely realizing the two react, compared to when proxiphen first came out. I hope prox-N does something. I told a lot of people to use it.

Actually, I believe he does have a patent for the minoxidil/spironolactone combo. I'm not really trying to knock his product, I just don't think for a minute that it is as effective as he would have you believe with those pictures. Obviously it contains proven ingredients so I'm sure it will be effective, but so is Avacor and Scalpmed (because they contain minoxidil) but who's to say one shouldn't use generic 5%minoxidil, spironolactone cream, and folligen....that is Proxiphen in a nutshell for far less money. I'll admit, I'm not sure what role phenytoin supposedly plays, so if I could be enlightened on that anyone?

CCS

Reaction score
I'm surprised the cat's *** comment has not got Bryan to post anything. He'll probably say Dr P just did not take all that into consideration with the pic, or the guy gave him the pics, and that no mis-advertisement was intended, even though Dr P could have pointed out the camera angle and shaved areas to prospective customers. I would like to google each of those ingredients and look for studies that say they work. There are a lot more than just CPs and phenytoins. I just wonder if I can put fatty acids or glycerol in my Prox-N to make it creamier. I read the CPs are pH sensitive and like a pH of 7.5, so that might rule out the fatty acids.

Felk

Reaction score
beaner said:

Actually, I believe he does have a patent for the minoxidil/spironolactone combo. I'm not really trying to knock his product, I just don't think for a minute that it is as effective as he would have you believe with those pictures. Obviously it contains proven ingredients so I'm sure it will be effective, but so is Avacor and Scalpmed (because they contain minoxidil) but who's to say one shouldn't use generic 5%minoxidil, spironolactone cream, and folligen....that is Proxiphen in a nutshell for far less money. I'll admit, I'm not sure what role phenytoin supposedly plays, so if I could be enlightened on that anyone?

Dr P patented the best cps supposedly, before pickart did. Pickart got his while dr p's patent was pending. So folligen is very different from the peptides in Proxiphen. Also, proxiphen contains nano growth stimulators.

So prox-n + spironolactone + phenytoin + minoxidil might do it. But the nano and cps in prox-n are still weaker than proxiphen apparently.

beaner

Reaction score
I'm surprised the cat's *** comment has not got Bryan to post anything.

Me too....and Bryan, if you've read this, I'm not trying to offend you in any way with my comments regarding Dr Proctor. This is just my opinion, and I'm not even saying I'm correct. You are probaby the most knowledgeable, and helpful person on this or any forum with your information and studies, and you always seem to go above and beyond to get information across as simply as possible to those that are less informed.... so please be aware, whatever I said is not directed toward you.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
beaner said:
I'm not really trying to knock his product, I just don't think for a minute that it is as effective as he would have you believe with those pictures.

He has freely admitted on alt.baldspot that the guy in those pictures is an outstanding responder to Proxiphen. Should companies (and doctors) that make hairloss treatments be legally required to post only before-and-after pictures of typical results, and not outstanding ones? I'm just thinking out loud here, and I'm not really sure about it myself.... Maybe it would be acceptable and ethical for them to always state in the accompanying caption whether it's a typical response, an excellent response, or whatever.

beaner said:
Obviously it contains proven ingredients so I'm sure it will be effective, but so is Avacor and Scalpmed (because they contain minoxidil) but who's to say one shouldn't use generic 5%minoxidil, spironolactone cream, and folligen....that is Proxiphen in a nutshell for far less money.

Dr. Proctor once even admitted on alt.baldspot that Proxiphen "...isn't THAT much more effective than a combination of Propecia and Rogaine", or words to that effect. Most people would probably consider Proxiphen to be something to hold in reserve for those special, stubborn cases of male pattern baldness. Something to try, in case you don't respond to other, cheaper treatments first.

beaner said:
I'll admit, I'm not sure what role phenytoin supposedly plays, so if I could be enlightened on that anyone?

Oh, god. It's a general hairgrowth stimulant, considered by Dr. Proctor to be roughly on the same order of effectiveness as minoxidil. For further information and speculation about how it possibly works, go search alt.baldspot for that word. That'll keep you busy for a while! :)

The really cool thing about it is that (presumably) it works by a mechanism that's completely different from that of any other common treatment, so it's very much something that should be used in conjunction with other things. As Dr. Proctor has said so many times on alt.baldspot, the way to get the best possible results is to use as many different things as possible that work in different ways. It's only common sense. And phenytoin (as opposed to other things like RU58841) is cheap, safe, and easy to obtain. I'm puzzled why more people don't take advantage of Dr. Proctor's experience and use it themselves, even if only in their own topical concoctions.

Bryan

beaner

Reaction score
Ok Bryan...regarding the pictures...I'm looking at them from the perspective that they are manipulated to "show" results that aren't there...namely the first picture where the guy (in my opinon) has the top of his head shaved, and in subsequent pictures his hair is growing out and he is obviously tipping his head forward to give the illusion of more growth....this to me does not show an outstanding response to anything.

And your little response to my question regarding phenytoin..."Oh god, it's a general growth stimulant......" maybe I took that the wrong way, but it seems a bit condescending......now is this general knowledge regarding phenytoin? It's not discussed here much so forgive me and probably 99% of the posters on this board if we don't realize what the benefits of phenytoin are.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
beaner said:
I'm surprised the cat's *** comment has not got Bryan to post anything.

Me too....and Bryan, if you've read this, I'm not trying to offend you in any way with my comments regarding Dr Proctor. This is just my opinion, and I'm not even saying I'm correct. You are probaby the most knowledgeable, and helpful person on this or any forum with your information and studies, and you always seem to go above and beyond to get information across as simply as possible to those that are less informed.... so please be aware, whatever I said is not directed toward you.

I understand, and thanks for the compliment! :)

I didn't say anything, because I actually agree with you, at least to a certain extent. Dr. Proctor has never been known to spend a lot of time on his responses, except on rare occasions when he gets really wound-up about some specific issue that he's really interested in. He once joked on alt.baldspot that he flies through each post, spending an average of 13.7 seconds on each one! :lol:

You might be curious to hear my experience of him in real life. When I first met him, he struck me as being.....well, let's say somewhat introverted. He's not a gushy and outgoing type of person, at least until you get to know him a little. That was the impression I got. I don't find it at all surprising that he flies through responses on the Internet with a minimum amount of detail.

His wife Donna, on the other hand, is probably the most ebullient and extroverted person I've ever met. What's that they say about how opposites attract? :)

Bryan

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
beaner said:
Ok Bryan...regarding the pictures...I'm looking at them from the perspective that they are manipulated to "show" results that aren't there...namely the first picture where the guy (in my opinon) has the top of his head shaved, and in subsequent pictures his hair is growing out and he is obviously tipping his head forward to give the illusion of more growth....this to me does not show an outstanding response to anything.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't think his head was "shaved", and I don't think any difference in the angle was anywhere NEAR enough to detract from what was obviously an amazing amount of hair growth.

beaner said:
And your little response to my question regarding phenytoin..."Oh god, it's a general growth stimulant......" maybe I took that the wrong way, but it seems a bit condescending......

You took it the wrong way. It wasn't about YOU, it was about ME, and the difficulty of remembering years' worth of posts on phenytoin from alt.baldspot.

beaner said:
now is this general knowledge regarding phenytoin? It's not discussed here much so forgive me and probably 99% of the posters on this board if we don't realize what the benefits of phenytoin are.

Hypertrichosis is listed as a possible side-effect of phenytoin (Dilantin), but as far as I know, Dr. Proctor is the only one to have considered taking advantage of that in a hairloss treatment.

Bryan

Felk

Reaction score
Is phenytoin prescription-only bryan?

I want to mix my own topicals, but am not sure about the legal issues with importing all these prescription drugs like spironolactone, finasteride, etc. Ive ordered Dr Lee's spironolactone cream before i guess, so it might not be an issue.

CCS

Reaction score
yeah, i hope my dutasteride and spironolactone pills are not an issue either.

australia has prescription laws?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score

Felk

Reaction score
College - yeah australia has prescription laws i'm sure. Though i don't know exactly what happens if you order something in and you don't have a prescription. Ive recieved proscar and topical spironolactone and prescription proxiphen with no trouble, but the later two examples are hair loss treatments made from famous US doctors, so they're more easily explained i'd say.

Ive checked up on things a little, but for the most part Australia seems to be most concerned about biological stuff which can bring in foreign diseases, not so much medications. For medications the only things i could find were if it's "non commercial" then it has to be no more than a 3 month supply, and a few other things.

Bryan
- if it's prescription only and you think more people should use it, should we simply order it from the internet? There's no other way i can think of, no doctor is going to prescribe the drug for you for hairloss, i'm guessing :) Im not worried about generics for things like spironolactone. in topicals, just the issues with importing the stuff.