Proxiphen is it worth it?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes. You'll have to order it from the Internet.

G

Bryan said:
Felk said:
Is phenytoin prescription-only bryan?

You bet ur ***!

Bryan,

If someone were to buy it online, should they be taking 30 mg per day tablets of it or 100 mg per day tablets?

And please pardon my ignorance but isn't dilantin(phenytoin) an anti-seizure medication? Is that safe to be using for the sole goal of hair growth/maintenance?

Thanks.

CCS

Reaction score
phenytoin is just one of the things in proxiphen. Are you just getting it because you already have prox-N and NANO shampoo? I must also point out that prox-N does not have NANO, I think.

Does Dr Proctor list all the proxiphen ingredients anywhere, or the Prox-N for that matter? He likes to use "etc" on his web site.

And as for the phenytoin, you want to use the right concentration.

CCS

Reaction score
yes, I'd definitely say that is as bad or worse than taking minoxidil orally. probably the reason I can't buy pure minoxidil for my creams is they don't want people being tempted to eat it.

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
college,
prox-N definitely has NANO in it.
Perhaps more nano than the shampoo and conditioner

CCS

Reaction score
Is there anything in the shampoo that is not in Prox-N?

What does the N stand for? Non-prescription?

If so I just want to add something to it to make it into a cream. Any ideas?

At least the rest of my head will benefit from NANO with the shampoo. I just don't plan on using it 5 days a week anymore. I'll drop back to twice a week just to help maintain my other hair as it is. I think I'll alternate with nizoral 1%, lef.org nano, and baby shampoo. I'm already putting folligen on my whole head.

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
college N probably stands for non prescription.
I think (almost confident) that prox-N has everything the NANO shampoo has and even a little more (it contains little bit of tempo and pbn).

The main difference between prox N and proxiphen (prescription) is spironolactone, minoxidil, phenytoin and perhaps prescription has a higher concentration.

why do you want a cream. you can buy prox-N and use 0.33 ml a day (will last you six months).

CCS

Reaction score
the purpose of a cream is just slower absorption so the hair gets it longer. As an example, proxiphen cream once a day is stronger than proxiphen liquid twice a day. Same with spironolactone. I think it may be true of folligen too. The only reason people use liquids is if they have diffuse hair. But if you can get a cream on your scalp, it is better.

A cream only needs to evaporate slowly to be effective. It does not have to be thick. So if you can make one that does that and is not thick, you can have the best of both worlds and apply it to diffuse hair. I think glycerol may do that. I'd like to use fatty acids, but their low pH can destablize the CP's. I should ask my professor. He is very cocky and might tell me if he knows. If he does not know what non-toxic soluble chemical has a high boiling point and a low viscosity, he will just say he is too busy to think about that.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
the purpose of a cream is just slower absorption so the hair gets it longer. As an example, proxiphen cream once a day is stronger than proxiphen liquid twice a day. Same with spironolactone. I think it may be true of folligen too. The only reason people use liquids is if they have diffuse hair. But if you can get a cream on your scalp, it is better.

A cream only needs to evaporate slowly to be effective. It does not have to be thick. So if you can make one that does that and is not thick, you can have the best of both worlds and apply it to diffuse hair. I think glycerol may do that. I'd like to use fatty acids, but their low pH can destablize the CP's. I should ask my professor. He is very cocky and might tell me if he knows. If he does not know what non-toxic soluble chemical has a high boiling point and a low viscosity, he will just say he is too busy to think about that.

College: Ask him if using EDTA first will avoid destabilizing the CP's once the solution is made more acidic. Thanks!

CCS

Reaction score
he boasts 20 years of electro chemistry experience, with applications in water purification. i doubt he knows anything about copper peptides.

he told me that if I could find a cure to hairloss by doing research on the net or using my own reasoning or help from others, someone else already would have done it and doctors would be prescribing it to everyone. he thinks I'm wasting my time and have an appearance complex and need to spend more time in his lab. (I'm volunteering).

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
Bryan,

If someone were to buy it online, should they be taking 30 mg per day tablets of it or 100 mg per day tablets?

Uhhh.....TAKING tablets of it every day?? HUH??? You apply it TOPICALLY, you don't swallow them!! :freaked:

JayMan said:
And please pardon my ignorance but isn't dilantin(phenytoin) an anti-seizure medication? Is that safe to be using for the sole goal of hair growth/maintenance?

It's safe when you apply it TOPICALLY. Like spironolactone. Yes, it's been used for decades as an anti-seizure drug.

Bryan

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
Does Dr Proctor list all the proxiphen ingredients anywhere, or the Prox-N for that matter? He likes to use "etc" on his web site.

The Prox-N ingredients should be listed on the bottle.

Bryan

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, here's a little fun puzzle for you guys: who here can guess how the name "Prox-N" first came into existence? More specifically, who is RESPONSIBLE for coining that name?? I'd like to say I'll offer a prize to the first person to figure it out, but I ain't gonna do that! :lol:

Bryan

CCS

Reaction score
sounds enough like proctor that I think he named it after himself.

i'm a bit worried because Felk said NANO does not lather, and my lef.org shampoo does, very well. Also, its ingredients are "3-carboxylic acid pyridine N-oxide, SOD." NANO's incredients are "nicotinic acid N-Oxide and an SODase like growth stimulant." Does that mean this shampoo is completely different from NANO?

i hope the carboxylic acid part is the acid group of NANO.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think those terms are synonymous.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Felk said:
Did you come up with the name Prox-n Bryan? :hairy:

BINGO! At least, I'm pretty sure I was the one who first coined it. In the early years on alt.baldspot, I had been discussing my use of "Proxiphen-N" (which is what it was called in those days) quite a lot, and I literally got tired of typing-out that long name all the time. So one day I simply started abbreviating it to "Prox-N". Everybody knew what I meant, obviously. I don't remember for sure, but I suspect other posters began calling it that, too.

Several weeks or months later, I ran out of my supply, so I went by Dr. Proctor's office to get a new bottle. I was flabbergasted to see that this time, instead of being labeled "Proxiphen-N", it was clearly labeled in nice big letters, "PROX-N"!! :)

I don't even know if Dr. Proctor would remember now all these years later why or how he came up with that new name, but I really do think it was because of _my_ use of it on alt.baldspot! :wink:

Bryan

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Bryan: Have you asked Dr. P recently what he thinks is "on the horizon" as far as treatments are concerned?