Rapid hairloss and thinning hair-Is this male pattern baldness?

yohair

Reaction score
Hello Guys,
Am a 28 yr old male..For the past two months am having terrible hairloss....hair`s everywhere in the pillow, sink and have started to notice receding hairline, thinning of my crown and the vertex whirl has started to become bigger and i can notice a line resembling cowlick above my whirl...I tried using kaminomoto hair growth tonic, some herbal treatment, shampoos, had iron and vitamin tablets and also been on provillus tablets for last one month...But i find that nothing can stop my shed..
I`ve visited 2 dermatologists and both of them cleared me of any infection, i had my sugar, hormones checked and they showed normal range values...male pattern baldness also doesnt run in my family..I was under stress for past few months....can it be telogen effluvium?...Last week, I`ve started with nizoral 2% ...Got rogaine foam..but worried about worsening the situation as massive shedding is cited in various articles ...Am already having huge shedding so first wanna to have some feedback about my current hairloss status....I request you all to please tell me your views about whether its time to get treatment and What product should i start with?
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• diffused thinning wet and normal.JPG
    diffused thinning wet and normal.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 17,226
  • thinning of crown.JPG
    thinning of crown.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 18,814
  • vertex thinning.JPG
    vertex thinning.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 23,167

Ridgerunner7

Reaction score
I'm in the exact same situation as you and my hair is almost identical. Everyone tells me to start treatment now. I went to the derm and got a script for propecia but am scared to even to fill it. I just am worried about the long term effects of taking something like that..say 20 or 30 years! It must have some impact. That's the thing no one really knows right? So right now I'm struggling with trying to save my hair which right now still looks decent or just going bald gracefully and trying to stay at optimal health.

yohair

Reaction score
Ridgerunner7 said:
I'm in the exact same situation as you and my hair is almost identical. Everyone tells me to start treatment now. I went to the derm and got a script for propecia but am scared to even to fill it. I just am worried about the long term effects of taking something like that..say 20 or 30 years! It must have some impact. That's the thing no one really knows right? So right now I'm struggling with trying to save my hair which right now still looks decent or just going bald gracefully and trying to stay at optimal health.

Tnx a trillion 4 ur reply dude....S am totally scared abt propecia after seeing this website abt side effects of propecia on jpn patients (am frm japan)...
http://www.patientsville.com/medication ... ffects.htm
Also with out flash my thinning is not so prominent....So its really a tough choice to make....I saw some questions about taking 0.5mg finasteride/day....Is that a good idea to start with?...Reply guys plzzzz...

Ridgerunner7

Reaction score
Yeah..that site is scary, but check this one...its worse!

http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.a ... e=PROPECIA

My buddy has been on propecia for two years. Hair has come back well and has no sides. There are alot of people that use it successfully and have no short term adverse effects, but the side effects that can happen are straight up SCARY! Is it worth it? Haven't decided yet.

FreeloaderUK

Established Member
Reaction score
if u catch it early you might think to yourself- it dont look so bad. true. but what about a couple of years down the line when its inevitably worsened?

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm 24. I started treatment in January. I decided not to read much about the sides. I knew the risks and decided the best think for me was taking this drug.

This is how I see it. There are some risks. But if you get off finasteride as soon as you feel like things are not right you will more than likely go back to normal.

I had a nut ache for about a week, headaches for about a week and watery semen for about 3 or more months.

Now, I am fine. No sides.

It’s totally about how much of an affect the hair loss so having to your life. For me, hair loss was starting to paralyse me; taking finasteride was something I had to try.

Good Luck

Francois

Reaction score
Ridgerunner7 said:

My buddy has been on propecia for two years. Hair has come back well and has no sides. There are alot of people that use it successfully and have no short term adverse effects, but the side effects that can happen are straight up SCARY! Is it worth it? Haven't decided yet.

Hard to believe I had 0 effect with the propecia in 1.5year, I wasn't even aware of the propecia side-effect before coming on this site :dunno:

Anyway, this askapatient is so funny :D

"Before my boyfriend started taking this drug we were very happy together and had a very healthy sex life(4-8 times a week). He's been acting cold and distant for weeks (has been on Propecia for 5-6 months) and we've had sex once in the last month. He broke up with me last week because he doesn't feel attracted to me any more (he hasn't slept with anyone else and has masturbated twice in the last month, so it's not just me!). He says he can't think of having sex with anyone at the moment. In addition to the sexual side effects he has become depressed, demotivated and generally unhappy. He says he needs a break from me because he feels completely confused with everything going on in his life and doesn't want to be around other people. Whilst there are other factors which are the underlying problems, he has only been like this since taking Propecia and I strongly believe the medicine is doing this. He is not the same person he was 6 months ago. He thought it was me who had changed but luc"

There is even people complaining about the acetaminophen :jump:

hairnewb101

Reaction score
hi, on those spots that's thinning, do you see hair that's approximately 2 or 3 centimeters long? It seems like you don't have any hair on those spots. Am i wrong?

Also, does your hair fall out on the sides and back as well?

yohair

Reaction score
hairnewb101 said:
hi, on those spots that's thinning, do you see hair that's approximately 2 or 3 centimeters long? It seems like you don't have any hair on those spots. Am i wrong?

yes bro u got it right my hair fall out on the sides and back as well also when wet if i scratch my eyebrow also....2 or 3 strands comeoff.....but those places when photographed dont show any signs of thinning n no visible scalp area......Regarding the spots....am not sure abt which area u r asking abt vertex or crown...but the combing line seems to be bigger now and that was after my haircut...there is some hair left but its numbers are reduced.....here am showing the pic before my haircut

Attachments

• hairloss.JPG
    hairloss.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 3,642

yohair

Reaction score
Francois said:
Ridgerunner7 said:

Hard to believe I had 0 effect with the propecia in 1.5year, I wasn't even aware of the propecia side-effect before coming on this site :dunno:

Anyway, this askapatient is so funny :D

"Before my boyfriend started taking this drug we were very happy together and had a very healthy sex life(4-8 times a week). He's been acting cold and distant for weeks (has been on Propecia for 5-6 months) and we've had sex once in the last month. He broke up with me last week because he doesn't feel attracted to me any more (he hasn't slept with anyone else and has masturbated twice in the last month, so it's not just me!). He says he can't think of having sex with anyone at the moment. In addition to the sexual side effects he has become depressed, demotivated and generally unhappy. He says he needs a break from me because he feels completely confused with everything going on in his life and doesn't want to be around other people. Whilst there are other factors which are the underlying problems, he has only been like this since taking Propecia and I strongly believe the medicine is doing this. He is not the same person he was 6 months ago. He thought it was me who had changed but luc"

There is even people complaining about the acetaminophen :jump:
tats encouraging bro to hear....s i agree many drugs had its own sideeffects...so what do u think abt my rate of hairloss?...Is it time to start propecia?...am just worried abt wat if it is telogen effluvium bcas my hairloss rate increased or noted by me only for the past 2 months.....plz suggest

yohair

Reaction score
optimus prime said:
I'm 24. I started treatment in January. I decided not to read much about the sides. I knew the risks and decided the best think for me was taking this drug.

This is how I see it. There are some risks. But if you get off finasteride as soon as you feel like things are not right you will more than likely go back to normal.

I had a nut ache for about a week, headaches for about a week and watery semen for about 3 or more months.

Now, I am fine. No sides.

It’s totally about how much of an affect the hair loss so having to your life. For me, hair loss was starting to paralyse me; taking finasteride was something I had to try.

Good Luck
Thanks prime...one more basic question?....does taking propecia affect sperm motility as am yet to have a child....correct me if am wrong but dont blast plzz :hump:

yohair

Reaction score
Bumping for more replies...Plz guide me on whether its time to start my treatment and can i start with only minoxidil

hairnewb101

Reaction score
yohair said:
hairnewb101 said:

yes bro u got it right my hair fall out on the sides and back as well also when wet if i scratch my eyebrow also....2 or 3 strands comeoff.....but those places when photographed dont show any signs of thinning n no visible scalp area......Regarding the spots....am not sure abt which area u r asking abt vertex or crown...but the combing line seems to be bigger now and that was after my haircut...there is some hair left but its numbers are reduced.....here am showing the pic before my haircut

Dude, on the second picture, your hair looks fine. No signs of thinning, or any bald spots. On the first picture, i thought you were going bald.

You said, the last two months you were under stress. Perhaps that had something to do with your hair loss. I firmly believe that stress (i mean serious stress; the kind that you go depress over) can contribute to hair loss. What sort of hormone test did you take?

By the way, did you have any hair loss before you were under stress?

I think it's too soon for you to take any drugs. Your hair looks fine to me. But i'd get more tests done to rule out any medical conditions before i take any drugs.

yohair

Reaction score
hairnewb101 said:
yohair said:
hairnewb101 said:

Dude, on the second picture, your hair looks fine. No signs of thinning, or any bald spots. On the first picture, i thought you were going bald.

You said, the last two months you were under stress. Perhaps that had something to do with your hair loss. I firmly believe that stress (i mean serious stress; the kind that you go depress over) can contribute to hair loss. What sort of hormone test did you take?

By the way, did you have any hair loss before you were under stress?

I think it's too soon for you to take any drugs. Your hair looks fine to me. But i'd get more tests done to rule out any medical conditions before i take any drugs.
Thanks a lot dude.....s when my hair is wet or under flash...i can see thinning spots and the rate at which i see hairs falling on my laptop when i work is, alarming...Since its diffuse thinning am worrying abt sudden bad cosmetic appearance...Sofar its not instantly visible as naturally my hair is thick n dense.......my girlfriend just said tat i look different now but she hasnt noticed so far....but donno abt future as am sure am not paranoid and my hairloss is prominentin bathtub, working table, pillow...I checked ACTH, cortisol, DHEA, free and total testosterone, estradiol, DHT, adrenaline nor adrenaline and my dr said that there is no probs with their balance and the levels...However free testosterone is in the border line values...am doubting abt whether they get converted into DHT...nyway its confusing as my dr ruled it out...thyroid n diabetes tests and complete blood count were also done and all looks fine...no pattern baldness runs in my family...So wonder why am losing hair at such an alarming rate...can you tell me how to identify if a hairloss is telogen effluvium....Drs here are useless when asked abt hairloss

hairnewb101

Reaction score
I am not sure if i can help you with telogen effluvium. I am essentially trying to find out why i have excessive hair loss as well. Fact is, only you can know. You know your own medical history better than anyone else here. Perhaps even the doctors.

When my hair is wet, you can also see through my scalps. But that's only because my hair aren't growing any longer or thicker on those areas. They're like 2 or 3 centimeters long. I am wondering if you have a similar situation.

The way your hair falls out, to me it's not natural. Maybe you should ask somebody that has gone through the stages of male pattern baldness, and see what their experiences are like. I am also trying to find out if there is a difference in the way hair falls out between somebody with male pattern baldness and somebody with perhaps a thyroid condition. But i seem to get no response.

About the thyroid test, did you ask for t3, t4, tsh, and antibody tests done?

Jay102389

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, I know your post is nearly a decade old but I've been suffering the same exact thing that you did. Curious what happened to you and any action you possibly took??? In a depression not knowing what's going on. Thanks

Jay102389

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, can across your post and I'm suffering from the same thing you did. Can you please give me a little update on what happened in your case. Thanks

Ravinder

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello Guys,
Am a 28 yr old male..For the past two months am having terrible hairloss....hair`s everywhere in the pillow, sink and have started to notice receding hairline, thinning of my crown and the vertex whirl has started to become bigger and i can notice a line resembling cowlick above my whirl...I tried using kaminomoto hair growth tonic, some herbal treatment, shampoos, had iron and vitamin tablets and also been on provillus tablets for last one month...But i find that nothing can stop my shed..
I`ve visited 2 dermatologists and both of them cleared me of any infection, i had my sugar, hormones checked and they showed normal range values...male pattern baldness also doesnt run in my family..I was under stress for past few months....can it be telogen effluvium?...Last week, I`ve started with nizoral 2% ...Got rogaine foam..but worried about worsening the situation as massive shedding is cited in various articles ...Am already having huge shedding so first wanna to have some feedback about my current hairloss status....I request you all to please tell me your views about whether its time to get treatment and What product should i start with?
Thanks in advance

Yes, it is the right time to get treatment for hair loss. Firstly, you should take healthy diet plan and massage your scalp with neem oil and aloe vera gel. But, if you already apply these remedies then you should take the hair transplant treatment i.e. very famous. They use FUHT technique for the hair loss treatment.