Robotsex's Story - (9.5 Years of Hair Loss Feedback Please!)

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
robotsex said:
On the issue of collagen inhibition due to Minoxidil:

http://www.baldingblog.com/2008/07/17/minoxidil-and-collagen-levels/

Interesting, but even that Doctor says it's unlikely.

Maybe it's in my head, no pun intended ;)
If you want to invest in Biosil, it supposedly has studies showing it increases collagen production and helps thicken your hair and improve slows aging of the skin. I was taking it and not sure how much it helped but I took it when I was not using minoxidil foam. I am going to use it again just in case minoxidil may have some effect on collagen. My skin did look pretty good on it. If you use good skin exfoliators like beta hydroxy acid or alpha hydroxy acid, they help increase collage production. Lets put it this way, its easier to get rid of wrinkles, but hard to regrow lost hair. If minoxidil can thicken up things and regrow some hair, I think it maybe worth the subtle side effects that I am sure nobody notices but YOURSELF. As I told you before, you would be surprised how much salt in foods plays a role in how much water you retain and affects the bloating. Its so hard to avoid it if you eat out because most places use alot of salt.

robotsex

Reaction score
Biosil is a good suggestion.

Overall, avoiding sodium is a hard task indeed if you eat out. Being someone who has never really had to watch what foods I eat for cosmetic or superficial reasons, it's a bit of a daunting task to make this adjustment but am willing to give it a shot.

I've reduced my Foam intake to a little less than half a cap applied to temples, hairline, and crown exactly 12 hours apart (10 in AM and 10 in PM) since I think spanning the doses as far apart as possible will help curb over saturation of minoxidil in the system. Additionally, I've stopped massaging me head before applying minoxidil and I'm drinking a lot of water and will see how it goes. If it still looks like I can't keep puffiness down I'll need to try running every morning for a bit to sweat.

robotsex

Reaction score
Put in an order for Biosil and some MSM as well. Figure stuff is good all around for hair, skill and nails.

robotsex

Reaction score
Another contributing factor to my skin looking older could just be that during the winter months my skin is less oily and drier overall. For instance the knuckles on my right hand are very dry and kind of cracked.

To be honest, I sort of had a freakout today thinking that the Foam is going to ruin my hairline, but I'm committed to stay the course for at least 6 months comparison photos to see how its looking by then. It's hard to say if it's worse now...even though I took photos I took them a month or so into using Rogaine Foam. Not ideal, but I'll have to live with it. I guess the worst that will happen is I will shed some hair earlier than I should have and it won't grow back. Eeek! One of the biggest pains in the *** when trying to save hair is the fear of expediting the process through my attempts. Oh well...

robotsex

Reaction score
Quick Update:

I feel like the Foam and/or Nizoral is causing my hairline to thin a bit, especially in the temples, but this really isn't worrying me at the moment as it's very minor. I'm kind of excited because I realize I need to shed some hair in order to get in some regrowth. Seems like a general reduction in overall density. Also, I don't really get "sheds" in the shower per se. My fair is pretty solidly locked into my scalp and of course I lose a little when washing hair etc, but certainly nothing major and not enough to constitute a "shed".

I've since added Dandelion Root Tea 3x a day (safe herbal diuretic) to my regimen to reduce the bloating my face and body. It has definitely helped with my body and I also believe it has reduced some of the bloating in my face as well. Can't seem to shake all of the facial bloating, but just trying to get it down to a manageable level.

Quick question...based on my photos, am I actually a NW3V? I feel like I have a unique kind of hairloss pattern that is a combo of the Norwood pattern and some diffuse thinning overall. I can't seem to find a specific pattern that really applies to me. Anyone?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
robotsex said:
Quick Update:

I feel like the Foam and/or Nizoral is causing my hairline to thin a bit, especially in the temples, but this really isn't worrying me at the moment as it's very minor. I'm kind of excited because I realize I need to shed some hair in order to get in some regrowth. Seems like a general reduction in overall density. Also, I don't really get "sheds" in the shower per se. My fair is pretty solidly locked into my scalp and of course I lose a little when washing hair etc, but certainly nothing major and not enough to constitute a "shed".

I've since added Dandelion Root Tea 3x a day (safe herbal diuretic) to my regimen to reduce the bloating my face and body. It has definitely helped with my body and I also believe it has reduced some of the bloating in my face as well. Can't seem to shake all of the facial bloating, but just trying to get it down to a manageable level.

Quick question...based on my photos, am I actually a NW3V? I feel like I have a unique kind of hairloss pattern that is a combo of the Norwood pattern and some diffuse thinning overall. I can't seem to find a specific pattern that really applies to me. Anyone?
You are close to a NW3V but I think you are not quite there yet. Your vertex is still not bad but your temples are receded to almost a NW3. Your lucky that you have thick hair because you can style it to look pretty much almost like a NW1. I honestly think some of the alcohol in the foam cosmetically shrinks the hair shaft somewhat so it looks thinner. However the actually hairs are still there but just thinner looking so it seems like your thinning more. If the hair shafts are dehydrated somewhat they look thinner. I am taking Biosil again as well. Keep using the minoxidil because I stopped using it because it seemed to cause my hair to look worse but it does help. You won't know how much it helped until you stop it. I did that and now I regret it but I am back using it so maybe I can recover some thickness again. I did a food diary on my iphone and my sodium intake is almost double what the recommended requirements daily for my body weight. Everything is loaded with sodium. I would have to just each fruits and vegetables and make my own meats just to stay low with the sodium.

Petchsky

Reaction score
+1 looks great, you don't even look as if you have any hairloss.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Petchsky said:
Petchsky, are you saying he is a NW1 with +1. If that is the case I am a NW0 in your eyes. He is definitely not going to get a NW1 rating from CCS.

Nuli

Established Member
Reaction score
I have VERY similar hair to you. About same hair line with a little thinning in the back. But im only 19 :( . I have responded VERY well to minoxidil/finasteride tho, I'm probably at a nw2 from a nw3v. The thinning in the back isnt even noticeable anymore. But im getting sexual sides from the finasteride and will be getting on proxiphen and nano conditioner when it arrives. I'll let you know how it goes!

Petchsky

Reaction score
DoctorHouse said:
Petchsky said:
Petchsky, are you saying he is a NW1 with +1. If that is the case I am a NW0 in your eyes. He is definitely not going to get a NW1 rating from CCS.

Ah, that's what happened to my post, posted on the wrong thread. That reply was meant for Obsidian's thread :eek:opsblush:

robotsex

Reaction score
Oh man, I've been looking at a few pictures of myself as of late and my face is quite puffy in them. Looks not so good...even while I've been using Dandelion tea, less minoxidil, less sodium, etc. This is demoralizing as I feel my face is swollen even when reducing sodium intake, drinking diuretic tea 3x a day, drinking A LOT of water, and using a little less than half a cap 2x a day.

I guess I'm just a bad responder to the bloating effects of minoxidil. This really sucks because I felt like minoxidil/Nizoral combo in addition to my 9.5 years of finasteride was my last hope to keep/grow some hair back and I'm not sure it's worth drastically changing my eating habits to avoid sodium intake and STILL getting bloating. I love how my face normally looks and now it weirds me out to even look in the mirror because I don't like what I see. I'm not sure it's worth it.

But what's worse...a less attractive (to me anyway) bloated face and maybe keep some hair or a noticable receding/thinning with a chiseled attractive face? It sucks it comes down to this, as I feel I've really done all I can to curb this.

I have a few options:

1) Run in the morning for a week to try and eliminate some of the water. I doubt this will work, but I'm willing to try it.

2) Cut down minoxidil to use 1x a day and see what happens. If I do I will probably stop using minoxidil for 5 days to reduce bloating to baseline and start again to see if it happens again.

3) Use minoxidil 2x a day, but 1/4 cap just at crown (as I feel like this kind of thinning looks the worst)

Feedback appreciated. A bit demoralized at the moment.

Thanks!

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
robotsex said:
Oh man, I've been looking at a few pictures of myself as of late and my face is quite puffy in them. Looks not so good...even while I've been using Dandelion tea, less minoxidil, less sodium, etc. This is demoralizing as I feel my face is swollen even when reducing sodium intake, drinking diuretic tea 3x a day, drinking A LOT of water, and using a little less than half a cap 2x a day.

I guess I'm just a bad responder to the bloating effects of minoxidil. This really sucks because I felt like minoxidil/Nizoral combo in addition to my 9.5 years of finasteride was my last hope to keep/grow some hair back and I'm not sure it's worth drastically changing my eating habits to avoid sodium intake and STILL getting bloating. I love how my face normally looks and now it weirds me out to even look in the mirror because I don't like what I see. I'm not sure it's worth it.

But what's worse...a less attractive (to me anyway) bloated face and maybe keep some hair or a noticable receding/thinning with a chiseled attractive face? It sucks it comes down to this, as I feel I've really done all I can to curb this.

I have a few options:

1) Run in the morning for a week to try and eliminate some of the water. I doubt this will work, but I'm willing to try it.

2) Cut down minoxidil to use 1x a day and see what happens. If I do I will probably stop using minoxidil for 5 days to reduce bloating to baseline and start again to see if it happens again.

3) Use minoxidil 2x a day, but 1/4 cap just at crown (as I feel like this kind of thinning looks the worst)

Feedback appreciated. A bit demoralized at the moment.

Thanks!
I totally feel the same way as you. I still have a bloated face too. I am wondering if anyone got bloating from one type of minoxidil and did not with another yet still had good results with their hair. If anyone knows let me and robotsex know. I wonder if you get less bloating with the liquid since some say it does absorb as much as the foam. The other choice is 2% minoxidil twice daily but its less effective. Or try hairchi foam like this guy did who got bloating from minoxidil and claims his hair did well with hairchi with no side effects.

robotsex

Reaction score
I don't remember getting bloating with the liquid 5% when I used to use it. But it's tough to say considering I never really stuck with it for very long and applied it infrequently at best. I definitely don't remember getting any bloating, but to be honest I didn't notice bloating with the foam until week 5 and not until after I was applying it 2x a day consistently.

Are you kidding about hairchi? Seems kind of ridiculous to me. But I'm open minded if you think it might work.

robotsex

Reaction score
Just an update...

I stopped the Foam for 5 days and all bloating subsided. Now I'm going back to 1x a day in the evening on half a cap applied to front hairline, temples, and crown. Even with medium length hair, I seem to be able to spread it around alright at half a cap.

I'll be sure to keep everyone posted.

I was a little bummed when quitting for 5 days because some areas have definitely thinned in the front (or perhaps I'm over analyzing), which is probably to facilitate the new hairs growing in. However, knowing I quit....I was in a serious downward spiral because I figured I unnecessarily lost that hair. However, to be honest, I'm taking action...trying a variety of approached..all in hopes of discovering the idea regimen/dosage etc. I need to keep this in mind. Otherwise I think i'll go insane.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I do not think its a good idea to use minoxidil once per day. My results went downhill when I did that. Its going on 3 weeks now of using minoxidil twice per day and I definitely see alot of new hairs at the hairline. I am using two different types of minoxidil now the foam am and Promox pm. I have less bloating. I think maybe you should use the liquid at night( maybe 2 percent minoxidil if you don't want to try 5%). I realize now I made the biggest mistake going down to once per day. I was not sure until now.

robotsex

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip House.

Don't you think it makes sense to see if I get bloating at 1x a day and work off that to decide if I even want to use the stuff in the first place anymore? If I bloat on 1x a day...I don't think I will use minoxidil anymore.

However, what about using Dr. Lee's 5% instead? I heard that may cause less bloating and its not as greasy as the normal liquid. Or perhaps using Dr. Lee's 5% at night and Foam in the morning?

What is your regimen House?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
robotsex said:
Thanks for the tip House.

Don't you think it makes sense to see if I get bloating at 1x a day and work off that to decide if I even want to use the stuff in the first place anymore? If I bloat on 1x a day...I don't think I will use minoxidil anymore.

However, what about using Dr. Lee's 5% instead? I heard that may cause less bloating and its not as greasy as the normal liquid. Or perhaps using Dr. Lee's 5% at night and Foam in the morning?

What is your regimen House?
My regimen is called OVERKILL. In the am, I shampoo with Nano or Revivogen shampoo. Use Nano conditioner. Use the foam. PM, I use Proxiphen, Promox, Revivogen, and back using Viral Mane. Take Propecia once per day. Use LLLT 2-3 times per week. I did what you did in the past. I went to foam once per day then saw bloating and went to no foam. Big mistake. However, if you don't want to use minoxidil then don't. I would keep trying different minoxidils until you find one that you like. Try Lee's. Or go to 2% percent. Just experiment. If you don't want to mess with it, then try Hairchi. I am. What can I say, I am sucker for hair loss products.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
robotsex said:
How has your regimen worked for you thus far?
Very good question. I honestly wonder if my hair would be the same even without using all those treatments. I honestly do not know for sure but I think now (I hate to admit this) maybe twice a day minoxidil was helping me more than I ever realized. I used to just use Revivogen and the Lasercomb and my hair looked great. Used all these treatments and my hair looks worse than my baseline. So if anything maybe they have slowed things down or as Bryan likes to say "offset" my thinning but they have not helped me get back to baseline or go above baseline. So don't just use minoxidil once per day.