Rogaine/Tricomin application help...

thoradas

Reaction score
I am trying to convince myslef to start Rogaine, but can't seem to figure out how in the world I am going to be able to effectively apply it in the mornings before work. I mean, you have to apply it to a fairly dry scalp, but are recommend to apply it after showering. Further, in order to apply it to a fairly dry scalp you have to get your scalp dry. Now, you aren't supposed to towel dry, or blow dry, so how then? Once the hair is in fact dry you are to apply it in the described areas, and in the front for me as well, and let absorb in the skin for at least 20 minutes. I have longer hair, so this will be quite tricky. Not to mention that I'd like to apply Tricomin as well. And I don't even know how in the heck I'll have time for that. Propecia, thankfully, will be a breeze. But the other two, whew. I just don't know. At night I don't see a problem, but how do morning workers accomplish effective application without getting up two or three hours earlier?? I would appreciate any suggestion/comments.

jrg

Established Member
Reaction score
That's why I'm not using minoxidil. Start with propecia alone and see how it goes.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
Towel dry your hair just don't rub hard. Then apply the minoxidil. For me minoxidil usually dries in about 45 minutes to an hour. Then I blow dry my hair. After blow drying there's no trace of greasiness from the minoxidil either.
Do other "morning" stuff while it's drying....Shave, sh*t, brush your teath, eat breakfast, clean the semen off your keyboard, get dressed, read the paper, take out the dogs, clean your gun, finish burying the body in your basement, Browse HairLossTalk.com, rock back and forth in your own fecees while biting your nails and screaming NOOO NOOO, go warm up the car, tape your cat to the wall, Get on the treadmill,change a lightbulb,rearrange the furniture,wipe the blood off your steak knives,take out the garbage, water the plants,write that ransom note, do the dishes.

BHD

thoradas

Reaction score
BadHairDecade said:
For me minoxidil usually dries in about 45 minutes to an hour.

You see, that is my problem. I don't have 45min to an hour, especially if I plan to then use Tricomin after Rogaine dries, only to then wait for Tricomin to dry. I wish I could just shave my head, but I just can't do it. Thanks for the reply, however peculiar it may be...

thoradas

Reaction score
jrg said:
Start with propecia alone and see how it goes.

I'd like to, but while I am early into treating, or getting ready to treat, my hair loss, I do have fairly noticable loss in my temporal regions, with mild thinning overall. Or at least, my hair feels flatter overall. I would like know, however, if you use both Rogaine and Propecia, couldn't you feasably stop using Rogaine once, or if, it grows back the desired hair amount, then rely on Propecia to stop the newly grown hair from falling out? Sounds logical to me, but I'm no expert. Thanks for the reply.

jrg

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't think it works that way. Whatever hair attributed to minoxidil will shed once it is discontinued. I have overall thinning too but on the advice of the people here (such as HairLossTalk.com), I'm going to stay on finasteride for one year and assses the situation then before adding something.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
thoradas said:
You see, that is my problem. I don't have 45min to an hour, especially if I plan to then use Tricomin after Rogaine dries, only to then wait for Tricomin to dry.

you could just get up a little earlier...to grow hair back you have to make some sacrifices. Any topical is a lifelong commitment, Just like brushing your teeth. Do you have 15 to 20 minutes???

There's a much faster drying minoxidil available from Dr. Lee. It has less PPG in it and more alcohol than regular minoxidil. Dries in 15-20 minutes. Some have said it dries in about 10 minutes.
It can be found at http://www.minoxidil.com
I use tricomin about 10 minutes before my minoxidil application.

I would like know, however, if you use both Rogaine and Propecia, couldn't you feasably stop using Rogaine once, or if, it grows back the desired hair amount, then rely on Propecia to stop the newly grown hair from falling out?
No...It may hold on to a few but that's about it.

thoradas

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. It is feasable for me to get up earlier to apply such treatments, but I am already miserable with my condition's onset, and hate work, so having to get up earlier for a job I hate to start a treatment designed to treat a condition that is merely cosmetic in nature, only to then continue said treatment for the rest of my natural born life, which is, unfortunately in this case, quite a while is extremely disheartening. After all, I already have ProActiv added in my morning regime, so what's another 3+ steps... Ahh, how I loooove skin problems. I will keep pondering over this matter, as I have for a month and a half. Thanks again for responding.

Oh, as for the comment about trying Dr. Lee's minoxidil version, I don't want more alcohol on my scalp, nor can I find a reputable site to order the product. So, if I do start a minoxidil treatment it will be Rogaine (5% most likely).

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You could try the 15% Xandrox, which is designed to be used once a day. You could simply use that in the evening before going to bed and use Tricomin in the morning.

thoradas

Reaction score
mvpsoft said:
You could try the 15% Xandrox, which is designed to be used once a day.

That's not a bad idea, one that I would greatly prefer. Only, I do not know much about Xandrox, and the place that sells it does not seem all that secure. I do plan to research it, and hope to come to some kind of conclusion soon. Thanks for the suggestion.

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Xandrox is a concotion of Dr. Lee, who is pretty highly respected. You can get it from http://www.minoxidil.com. I agree that the website is not very well done, but I believe the company is legit.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Im too lazy to read the whole thread but why is applying rogaine difficult? I don't see any reason to do both Rogaine and Tricomin. Save something for a rainy day, guys! But just towel dry your hair, shave, and then put it on. Seems pretty simple. I put spironolactone on after my shower, Revivogen on at lunch, and spironolactone on before bed. Just get it on your head ... thats the goal... dont worry too much on the small things.

HairLossTalk.com

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
I don't see any reason to do both Rogaine and Tricomin.
There are two reasons. First, Tricomin helps soothe an irritated scalp. Minoxidil causes irritation for some people; Revivogen for others, etc. Tricomin can help overcome that. Second, if Loren Pickart is right, the copper peptides in Tricomin and Folligen cause hair follicles to enlarge, which helps trigger regrowth by preparing them to generate new cells. Thus using cu can have a synergistic effect along with other treatments. For some people, minoxidil might not work by itself, finasteride might not work by itself, but taken together, they are more effective than used separately. The same may be true of copper peptide products, if Pickart's claims about how it works are accurate.

BTW, I have been using Tricomin and minoxidil at the same time, one applied immediately after another. I have experienced not only maintenance but am beginning to see regrowth. So I see no reason that they can't be used simultaneously.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
mvpsoft said:
There are two reasons. First, Tricomin helps soothe an irritated scalp. Minoxidil causes irritation for some people; Revivogen for others, etc.
Still you should pace yourself. I see no logic in using all your options up front. That just doesn't make sense when this is a 10 to 20 year process. If and when irritation occurs on Rogaine, then you can sprits some Tricomin on it to ease it once in awhile, or try Aloe, or Emu Oil. All work pretty well.

mvp said:
or some people, minoxidil might not work by itself, finasteride might not work by itself, but taken together, they are more effective than used separately.
Technically, if you use everything at once it will be more effective than just one item by itself. That doesn't negate the fact that this is a long process and doing the kitchen sink approach up front is incredibly unwise. It does not take into consideration anything other than the here and now, and that is never a good way to think or make decisions. Not to mention that Propecia alone may accomplish all his goals. Propecia and Rogaine if not. And then ... later ... if still no results... propecia rogaine and tricomin.

mvp said:
So I see no reason that they can't be used simultaneously.
Didn't say they couldnt. I said its not wise, especially if you're just starting out. The bottom line is you can do whatever you want. Dump everything on your head from Day one. You still have to contend with the fact that Rogaine only works for roughly 3 to 6 years. Propecia only works for roughly 7 years, and we have no idea how long Tricomin works. If you want to use everything up starting at day one, you're going to be sh*t out of luck in 7 years. What are you going to use then? Procerin?

If you're a new hair loss sufferer, it is far more wise to use Propecia and Nizoral alone, and see how you do. I did this and I literally ... literally.... literally bought myself 4 years. 4 years I kept my hair from getting any worse and I haven't even touched a drop of Rogaine. I haven't touched a drop of Tricomin. ... If I were able to keep going with Propecia, it easily could have been another 4 years.

If it started to fade in effectiveness after 8 years, then I could add on Rogaine .... and that would buy me another 5 years easily.... thats a total of 13 years .... then maybe after a few years add Tricomin.

Rogaine and Tricomin will be synergistic even in 5 years when the ROgaine starts to wear off ... just as synergistic as they are if you use them both up front. The difference? Using treatments end to end will get you through many more years.

HairLossTalk.com

Again - if you are going to use everything up front, what are you going to do in 5 years when your rogaine/tricomin combo stops working? Use Procerin? You're toast at that point. Zero options.

thoradas

Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
You still have to contend with the fact that Rogaine only works for roughly 3 to 6 years. Propecia only works for roughly 7 years, and we have no idea how long Tricomin works. If you want to use everything up starting at day one, you're going to be sh*t out of luck in 7 years. What are you going to use then?

I have always thought of myself as knowing a fair amount on the subject of hair loss treatments and what they're known to do and so forth, but your statements of their lastability is quite shocking. Granted I understand the body's ability to develop tolerance to most anything used on a repeated basis, but even though this is a well know fact, why am just now learning about such? If you're the owner/moderator, why isn't this information listed in the reviews of each proven treatment? So to try and understand what you've mentioned, by thirty or so, if I remain on Propecia, it will stop working. I will have to then start Rogaine 2% to regrow, what? I mean, I'd have been using Propecia to stop hair from falling out for the past seven years, and now what? Wait a few months for it all to fall out and then start Rogaine? Maybe then buy myself some more time by switching to 5% Rogaine, then switch to Tricomin, and by forty, what? Maybe they'll have perfected hair clonning, scalp transplants? So while I do get your logic, why hasn't such been detailed on HairLossTalk's main site? Or is it just that well known? I am not trying to attack what you've stated or demanding to know why said products aren't perfected, I am simply curious in trying to understand your methodology, or rather the methods of these treatments' madness.

I should note that it was my assumption, based on the information provided on this site, that in order to combat hair loss one should use the acclaimed "Big 3." It was my understanding that such consisted of Propecia, Rogaine, and Tricomin, but I see now that I was mistaking Tricomin with Nizoral. I am in my mid twenties and have about a half inch to an inch of temporal hair loss and an overall feeling of having flat hair. And while I most certainly want to stop hair loss, I also want to regain what I've lost in my temporal regions and thicken my hair back up. I know that Propecia's main claim to fame is stop hair from falling out, yet only loosely claims to regrow hair. So, while I want to keep the hair I have, which is still a great deal, why would I just want to stop it from falling out without trying to regrow what I've lost? Not to mention the fact that it is detailed in the product reviews on this site of Propecia and Rogaine that using both together is most beneficial. Now, I understad that you may not be responsble as being the complete editor of such information, but I do think that this information would be helpful if placed in the review section of the various treatments.

As for the topic of my orignal posting, of which you stated your being to lazy to read, all I wanted to know was the best method of applying Rogaine based on a limited time frame, just trying to get comments/opinions, and to initiate conversation regarding proven methods of treatment and so on.

I would be interested in any follow up comments you have on this matter, though I suppose I should just keep on reading other threads. In either case, thanks for the replies.

thoradas

Reaction score
mvpsoft said:
Xandrox is a concotion of Dr. Lee, who is pretty highly respected. You can get it from http://www.minoxidil.com. I agree that the website is not very well done, but I believe the company is legit.

Thanks for the input. I have been to that site (after first discovering it yesterday) and do not find it be all that secure, though I understand why you'd say it is legit. That would be my assumption too, but I am still a bit hesistant. I suppose I need to keep researching. Thanks again for your reply.

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
HairLossTalk.com, are there studies that show that the different treatments used in conjunction will be effective for only a few years? If so, I would like to read them. Also, are there studies that show that Tricomin will lose its effectiveness after a few years? Nizoral? Propecia? Minoxidil? Are there studies that show that a combination will lose its effectiveness after several years? Let's apply the same critical evaluation to these claims that we apply to the claims of unproven treatments.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
mvpsoft said:
HairLossTalk.com, are there studies that show that the different treatments used in conjunction will be effective for only a few years?
No, but I *am* working with solid data in my comments, and that is just an assumption. In fact I agree with the assumption, but do either of us know if we're right? No. Do either of us know exactly how much more time you get by combining them? Nope. So you go with what you know. And what we know is Rogaine works for 5 years. Propecia for roughly 7 years.

This doesn't negate the fact that it is unwise and illogical to use everything up front.

If you use them end to end, you not only Maximize their individual durations, but you ALSO maximize their *combination durations*. See?

You use them all up front, there will come a time when you're sh*t out of luck. That is a fact. Either way you look at it, using them end to end, incrementally, buys you significantly more time.

mvp said:
Also, are there studies that show that Tricomin will lose its effectiveness after a few years?
Nope, and that's the point. We don't know a thing about Tricomin's duration. So we can't logically assume that its going to work forever. That is terrible logic considering all other treatments eventually stop working. When you're faced with an assumption, you always go with the most likely outcome, not the least likely one.

mvp said:
Let's apply the same critical evaluation to these claims that we apply to the claims of unproven treatments.
Again, we don't have any data on the unproven treatments at all. We only know that they weren't significant enough to even warrant FDA testing, so we *assume* that they're only minimally helpful. You've got powerhouses like Propecia and Rogaine which fade over time, you have to assume these weaker ones will too.

That just enhances my point. The conclusion is the same. The data we DO have says things lose effectiveness over time. You don't want to use everything up front unless you want to be sh*t out of luck when things stop working.

Think a little bit about this. Say you're using Rogaine, Propecia, Nizoral, Tricomin, Revivogen, and spironolactone.... for 5 years... and then suddenly it stops working.

What are you going to do? Start using Avacor? You're toast. Its over. Hang up the towel. Say goodbye to your hair. You've got nothing left.

Conversely, here I am ... 5 years into my hair loss fight, and I haven't even touched a growth stimulant yet. Propecia stopped my hair loss for 3.5 years all by itself. My topical DHT inhibiting regimen is doing the same. I've still got Rogaine 2% I could add. Rogaine 5% I could add. Tricomin. ... Here I am 5 years into it and I still have a bunch of things I can add later if I need to.

The only time I would condone a multi-faceted approach is for someone who has lost a noticeable amount of hair and absolutely CANNOT live with his hair the way it currently is. Then I agree with the big 3. Or big 5 ... He's got to make up for lost time, and he's absolutely unhappy with how he looks to the point that it is ruining his life.

The good thing about my method? You can always add something! Use Rogaine for a year and see how it works. If it does its job, guess what. You're on Rogaine by itself and you're happy for another 5 years! If it doesn't? ... well add Tricomin. Using both up front still doesn't make sense when you can give things a chance to work and not only reduce your daily regimen hassles, but your monthly cost, AND buy yourself time. Its a win win win situation.

But I definitely see no logic in using Rogaine and Tricomin, together and up front at the beginning. One growth stimulant is enough. Let its do its thing, let it run its full 5 year course. THEN add Tricomin and keep the train chugging for however much longer. *ALL* these products are synergistic if you use them together, but that's not really the point. You've got to fight this stuff for 20-30 years. Pace yourself.

HairLossTalk.com

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
thoradas said:
why am just now learning about such? If you're the owner/moderator, why isn't this information listed in the reviews of each proven treatment?
Maybe it should be. I didn't want to alarm people or scare them. I don't like to run my site that way usually. In fact we try to be optimistic. For some guys it may work 10 to 15 years. Very easily. Everything is based upon how well you respond. Things started to level out and taper off after 7 years on Propecia... but ... admittedly a significant percent of the people were still doing just fine. Its a small percent that began to drop off.

thoradas said:
So to try and understand what you've mentioned, by thirty or so, if I remain on Propecia, it will stop working.
MAY stop working. Be optimistic. And this is exactly why I suggest holding off on other treatments if Propecia does its job all by itself. Its totally reckless as hell to just start dumping things on your head all up front. You will leave yourself with no options to add to your regimen later. ALWAYS pace yourself because there will come a time that you may need to start adding things to maintain your gains.

thoradas said:
Wait a few months for it all to fall out and then start Rogaine? Maybe then buy myself some more time by switching to 5% Rogaine, then switch to Tricomin, and by forty, what? Maybe they'll have perfected hair clonning, scalp transplants?
Bingo, but im not clear why this is so upsetting for you. Maybe because you had assumed Propecia works forever. I apologize if that is the case. This must be annoying news. For most of us this is a given though, and we all know over time we may need to build up and enhance our regimen's. Nothing lasts forever. Most people are aware of Rogaines 4 to 6 year effectiveness timeline. But we all expect to slowly build on our regimen's over time. That's the nature of the fight. And yes its all about "buying time" until the next good treatment comes along.

thoradas said:
I should note that it was my assumption, based on the information provided on this site, that in order to combat hair loss one should use the acclaimed "Big 3."
The Big three is a freaking *potent* treatment. Usually Propecia will do the job perfectly well all by itself (with nizoral shampoo). guys like Martin in the Photo Gallery are guys I suggest the Big 3 for. New diffuse thinners don't need it. And they can use Propecia for 1 year to find out if they DO need to add rogaine. Its all very logical, methodical, and well planned out.

thoradas said:
I am in my mid twenties and have about a half inch to an inch of temporal hair loss and an overall feeling of having flat hair. And while I most certainly want to stop hair loss, I also want to regain what I've lost in my temporal regions and thicken my hair back up.
Regrowing hair on an area that has already become 100% skin is nearly impossible. These treatments typically thicken up existing hairlines. You very well could creep forward a few centimeters after a year or two of consistent use, but if those temples have been 100% hairless for a couple years, try to focus on thickening up what you've got. Check out martin's pictures to see this exact thing in action. He didn't regain much ground on the slick areas, but he thickened up very nicely with the rest.

thoradas said:
why would I just want to stop it from falling out without trying to regrow what I've lost?
This is your choice. You need to weigh your options. Use Propecia and Rogaine now, and place your bets on it not "fading" in 7 years... or be happy with what you have and keep it, to add Rogaine later and possibly thicken it up... buying yourself an easy 12 years. Its your choice. I can only present you with what the data tells us.

thoradas said:
Not to mention the fact that it is detailed in the product reviews on this site of Propecia and Rogaine that using both together is most beneficial.
Most beneficial for people who are looking to regrow noticeable amounts of hair, and simply cannot live with the hair they have now, any longer, because its destroying their self esteem, ruining their social life, and just plain unacceptable to them aesthetically.

thoradas said:
As for the topic of my orignal posting, of which you stated your being to lazy to read, all I wanted to know was the best method of applying Rogaine based on a limited time frame, just trying to get comments/opinions, and to initiate conversation regarding proven methods of treatment and so on.
Then it sounds like I answered your question, even though I did not have the time to read the whole thread. I gave my two cents on applying it with a limited time available to you.

HairLossTalk.com