RU 58841 as effective as Finasteride?

el_duterino

Reaction score
There were no official studies to compare finasteride to RU and the only human studies were 2 separate studies of only 3 months with about 50 guys.

Too short to be able to compare the 2 drugs.

However, I took finasteride for 6 years and also dutasteride for 4, on their own, and now RU on its own for 3 years and based on my much longer "study"?I find?RU?better than?dutasteride with less side effects than finasteride.

Also, you can see the photos that one finasteride user took and make your own conclusions.

Finally, with RU, can use use more or less powder to achieve the desired effect. There is no set amount of the drug per day like finasteride, that's why it is hard to compare both.

Life_sucks

Established Member
Reaction score
el_duterino said:
Finally, with RU, can use use more or less powder to achieve the desired effect. There is no set amount of the drug per day like finasteride, that's why it is hard to compare both.
But weren't there issues with the vehicle absorbing the drug too fast to the blood stream?

It seems RU works but the vehicle has been a pain..lol.

I got some questions:
1) How long does it take for you to make RU at home
2) Is it a liquid form or cream form?
3) Is it legal to purchase RU powder form and make it at home? (I live in US)
4) Is it liquid form or cream form?
5) Dosage? Everyday? Twice a day? EOD?

Sorry man...just wanted to get basic info.

TheInvincible

Reaction score
Life_sucks said:
I got some questions:
1) How long does it take for you to make RU at home
2) Is it a liquid form or cream form?
3) Is it legal to purchase RU powder form and make it at home? (I live in US)
4) Is it liquid form or cream form?
5) Dosage? Everyday? Twice a day? EOD?

Sorry man...just wanted to get basic info.

If you are interested you should read the whole "Share you experience..." thread.
Anyway, here are the answers:
1) it's a matter of minutes if you are making your own vehicle, seconds if you are using it with minoxidil
2) liquid
3) I don't know, but if it's illegal, the customs will only return it to the (re)seller. But I haven't had any legal problems, and it seems to me almost nobody did.
4) still liquid
5) Once is enough.

Life_sucks

Established Member
Reaction score
^Thanks TheInvincible

Sorry but follow up questions...lol

1) Are you able to style your hair a little with RU?
2) What's the most popular vehicle people are using?
3) Is there shedding in the beginning like with Minoxidil?

TheInvincible

Reaction score
Life_sucks said:
^Thanks TheInvincible

Sorry but follow up questions...lol

1) Are you able to style your hair a little with RU?
2) What's the most popular vehicle people are using?
3) Is there shedding in the beginning like with Minoxidil?

don't worry about questions, that's why we are here :)

1) it's curly so it doesn't bother me because I don't style it anyway. But, I'm sure it's possible to style it. Maybe wait at least half an hour after the application
2) don't know about that because I put it in minoxidil, but read Enden's opening post in 'share your experience...' and he mentions a few, I'm sure you cannot miss with any.
3) I didn't experience it, but I didn't experience it with minoxidil either. I know it's possible, so maybe you can anticipate it in regard to your response to minoxidil. It's not too reliable though.

Life_sucks

Established Member
Reaction score
^ Do you mind sharing a little history about yourself.

1) How satisfied are you with RU (1-10...1 being bad and 10 being great)?
2) You just add RU powder to 5% minoxidil? No other ingredient?
3) Why did you decide on minoxidil as vehicle?

4) This is somewhat dependent on question 2. If you are satisfied with RU, have you thought about eliminating finasteride from your regimen?

I'm seriously contemplating RU...just wanted to get as much info as possible.

TheInvincible

Reaction score
1) 9.5 - No further hair loss, no side-effects, slight thickening.
2) No other ingredient. minoxidil is already in a vehicle which is good for RU - two of the most common RU vehicles are the original and the minoxidil one (without minoxidil though).
3) I was already on minoxidil and didn't want to stop it. I don't need a particularly high dosage, so 25mg/1ml is enough for me. Simplicity of the preparation is a secondary reason.
4) I decided to reduce the dosage after a year if my hair stays the same (that would be April 2012), for instance from 1.25 to 1mg and continue to reduce it if the hair stays great.

I think there is no reason to contemplate so much. RU is not very risky and you can buy 10mg and try it. It's not cheap, but it's not that expensive either. If it's working, awesome, if it isn't, you'll at least know which option not to consider and turn to something else.

jonathan123

Reaction score
hi guys i know that everyone think that ru is so great.
and hes realy great against hearloss.
but you gotta do bloodtests and cheack your liver.
its importent.
since we dont know how much pcts of ru gets into the blood and gets to the liver.

supermusic

Established Member
Reaction score
Comparing testimonials from people who have used finasteride and those using ru I would say Ru is much less effective than finasteride, and even I would doubt whether it is more effective than minoxidil.

RedSoxHat

Reaction score
Supermusic: I don't know... I've been reading a lot of good reviews about RU in this forum lately. I just quit finasteride, and I'm willing to give RU a try.

TheInvincible: Where do you purchase your RU? Is it from international sellers? Amazon? I'd like to experiment with it a bit.

Jacobgoblin

Reaction score
I read the article of hairloss written by Will Brink in 1996.
He wrote the wonder drug named RU 58841

RU 58841: This is the mother of all topical anti androgens. RU58841 is made by the Roussel Corporation of France. This stuff shuts down DHT at the hair follicle like nothing else. One of the major problems has been that anti androgens such as Spironolactone and Flutamide taken orally might be good for hair loss, but they cause all sorts of problems related to having low androgens in your body, such as loss of muscle, increased fat, loss of sex drive, gyno, etc. When these same anti androgens have been used topically (put directly on the scalp) they do not cause the negative systemic side effects, but they did not seem to do much of anything for hair loss or growth either. Therefore, a topically active anti androgen without systemic effects would be highly desirable. RU58841 is a topical anti androgen that shuts down DHT at the follicle without any systemic side effects in the body! This stuff is the best thing since the invention of the vibrator! Woops, did I actually say that aloud? Now for the bad news. RU58841 is not out for sale and probably won't be for quite some time. It is in the early stages of testing and I understand there are other reasons that it might be a long time until it hits the market. I would tell you what those reasons are, but then I would have to kill you, and that would be bad for magazine sales...... Make no mistakes about it, RU58841 is the drug of choice for hair loss and would stop hair loss cold in conjunction with a good topical anti inflammatory. Through my secret source, I was told that the initial feelings about this stuff by the researchers who tested it was that it would probably even grow back a lot of hair for some people. I would give my right-no make that left-gonad for some of this stuff. Oh well, maybe I can find some crazy chemist to whip me up some of this nifty compound for my own personal use. Will it cost me a nad?

T

TravisB

Man, this was in 1996, if the research wasn't dropped, we would have RU on the market several years ago :thumbdown2: If it's supposed to have no side effects, then why are some people experiencing Propecia-like sides from it? I guess it could be from impurities that are in those chinese batches?

fml

Established Member
Reaction score
Jacobgoblin1 said:
I read the article of hairloss written by Will Brink in 1996.

RU 58841: This is the mother of all topical anti androgens. RU58841 is made by the Roussel Corporation of France.... RU58841 is not out for sale and probably won't be for quite some time. It is in the early stages of testing and I understand there are other reasons that it might be a long time until it hits the market. I would tell you what those reasons are, but then I would have to kill you...

Sorry if this is common knowledge now, but Im not a follower of RU. I was just wondering if its out there now as to what these "other reasons" were or are. Anyone?

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Is RU or RUM actually STRONG enough to use alone, with nothing else???

If it actually works for me, I'd likely do nizoral once a week and use some saw palmetto internally (it helps me) but I can get off the tumor causing spironolactone. That's my ultimate goal. (and to have a topical that doesn't require any or a load of alcohol as my hair and scalp are very dry).

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have a question, seeing that dht sensitivity increases with age, how does one on RU handle that? Increase the potency/input more of the medicine into the same or smaller amount of the base?