SAFE AND HARMFUL CHEMICAL FREE TAPE FOR HAIR SYSTEMS

Discipline hair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys

I am a newbie who is about to order a partial hair system for frontal balding. I am planning to order a good hair system, that is well ventilated and is realistic looking. I am a Norwood 3. Requesting advice on whether I should go for clips or hair tape. I have read that hair tape may be a better option.

Can someone suggest :-

1. safe and harmful chemical free tape.

2. Will i be able to take out hair system every 2 days or so. wash it. replace tape and wear it again ?

3. How do i deal with gym sweat ?

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for reply. So what is a safe liquid adhesive ? Safe for skin . Not harmful in long run.
All chemicals are harmful at different levels. You certainly shouldn't wash the system every 2 days. It's not nessisary, and will only age the unit faster.

There are no "long term" studies....or any for that matter regarding safety of adhesives.
Talcum/baby poweder has been used for well over 100 years...and always regarded as safe. They have since linked it to ovarian cancer.

The safer option, for adhesives, is ghostbond....But all is risky.

Discipline hair

My Regimen
Reaction score
All chemicals are harmful at different levels. You certainly shouldn't wash the system every 2 days. It's not nessisary, and will only age the unit faster.

There are no "long term" studies....or any for that matter regarding safety of adhesives.
Talcum/baby poweder has been used for well over 100 years...and always regarded as safe. They have since linked it to ovarian cancer.

The safer option, for adhesives, is ghostbond....But all is risky.
Thank you for the reply.

I guess there will always be downsides for a partially bald guy like me, no matter what I choose.

I am trying to avoid hair transplant because of surgery, only illusion of density and medicines like finasteride for life.

Hair systems.. Then it will be tapes and adhesives with chemicals and stuff. :(

But I guess hair system is still safer than taking medication for life.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply.

I guess there will always be downsides for a partially bald guy like me, no matter what I choose.

I am trying to avoid hair transplant because of surgery, only illusion of density and medicines like finasteride for life.

Hair systems.. Then it will be tapes and adhesives with chemicals and stuff. :(

But I guess hair system is still safer than taking medication for life.
I wouldn't necessarily say it's safer than taking medication.

doubleindemnity

Reaction score
No different than smoking cigarettes vs drinking alcohol.... Both cause cause systemic disease and cancer.

Typically each one will defend their side, claiming the other is more dangerous...
There is lots of literature saying that the medications are safe. And some literature seems to say that DHT reducing medications help to prevent prostate cancer. On the other hand, we do not have much literature at all about the adhesives...

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
There is lots of literature saying that the medications are safe. And some literature seems to say that DHT reducing medications help to prevent prostate cancer. On the other hand, we do not have much literature at all about the adhesives...
There's nothing that says any medication is safe. They have to prove efficacy and that the benefit is likely to outweigh the risk, when used appropriately. Not that it's void of risk.
A requirement that does not apply to cosmetics and adhesives.

Aspirin has been freely used for over 125 years in households throughout the world.... Yet 3000 people, per year, die in the US, from its consumption.

I use ultrahold tape and glue, so I'm at risk myself.... However, most people have this misconception that products are safe. The ingredients in hair system glue is not very different from industrial adhesives....where their packaging clearly states "avoid skin contact"

Last edited:

Hair system talk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@TooBad what is currently the safest way to wear a hair system then in terms of avoiding any harmful chemicals and also endocrine disrupters?

Would it be ghost bond all along the perimeter without any scalp protector? Because looks like scalp protector is harmful too.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
@TooBad what is currently the safest way to wear a hair system then in terms of avoiding any harmful chemicals and also endocrine disrupters?

Would it be ghost bond all along the perimeter without any scalp protector? Because looks like scalp protector is harmful too.
Even a Poly with a rubber band holding it to your head would create an endocrine disruption and promote estrogen metabolization.

Clips on a lace unit would present no systemic risk... but is far from ideal.

The product with the lesser risk, is ghostbond.

Remember everything has a risk.... and chemicals applied to the dermis, for weeks on end, supplies your bloodstream.... and organs with a steady dose of the chemicals.

Wear a system and do what makes you happy. I DO!
The only reason I speak up is when people use words such as safe with regard to industrial chemicals on our skin. It's not safe, it's harmful but so it's smoking and drinking alcohol. If you enjoy those too, do them as well... but know what you're doing..... :)

Don't try and fool yourself....

Hair system talk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Even a Poly with a rubber band holding it to your head would create an endocrine disruption and promote estrogen metabolization.

Remember everything has a risk.... and chemicals applied to the dermis, for weeks on end, supplies your bloodstream.... and organs with a steady dose of the chemicals.

The only reason I speak up is when people use words such as safe with regard to industrial chemicals on our skin. It's not safe, it's harmful but so it's smoking and drinking alcohol. If you enjoy those too, do them as well... but know what you're doing..... :)

Wearing a system makes me happy but the negative effects of the endocrine disrupters would create the opposite effect.

so ideally I’d like to be as risk adverse as possible whilst wearing a system.

with that in mind I’m considering switching to a perimeter ghost bond because I currently use a tape perimeter which I have now learnt is clearly going to cause endocrine disruption (in fact, after 2 years of wearing I am already seeing some effects of this) with it being a plastic and also ultra hold not being the safest adhesive. Fortunately, I don’t wear poly so at least that’s not an issue.

Would you agree this method of bonding (perimeter ghost bond on lace) would be the most risk adverse when it comes to minimising the effects of endocrine disruption? Clips isn’t an option for me so that’s ruled out.

Last edited:

Discipline hair

My Regimen
Reaction score

Thank you for the reply.

I have booked my hair transplant with a very good surgeon and clinic, few weeks from now. My donor area is good. But I am thinking of cancelling it because:-

1. I don't know if my hairloss would progress further. I started taking finasteride 1 MG daily, two weeks back. But I can see some hair falling everyday when I shower, wash my hair. i don't think my hair loss has stabilized. I really don't know if the finasteride is working for me.

2. A transplant may not give me the density I want . No matter how great a surgeon, it will be more of an illusion of density.

3 . It is a surgery. One may not be enough. Maybe in future I will require more.

4. I am already in my mid 30s. What if I accept my baldness and decide to go with a shaved head 10 years from now. Even a FUE will leave scars.

Therefore, I am thinking to migrate to using a hair system. But I guess, almost everything has cons. Tough choice.

mambovipi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply.

I have booked my hair transplant with a very good surgeon and clinic, few weeks from now. My donor area is good. But I am thinking of cancelling it because:-

1. I don't know if my hairloss would progress further. I started taking finasteride 1 MG daily, two weeks back. But I can see some hair falling everyday when I shower, wash my hair. i don't think my hair loss has stabilized. I really don't know if the finasteride is working for me.

2. A transplant may not give me the density I want . No matter how great a surgeon, it will be more of an illusion of density.

3 . It is a surgery. One may not be enough. Maybe in future I will require more.

4. I am already in my mid 30s. What if I accept my baldness and decide to go with a shaved head 10 years from now. Even a FUE will leave scars.

Therefore, I am thinking to migrate to using a hair system. But I guess, almost everything has cons. Tough choice.
I would say a hair system is an easier decision. You don't have a lot to lose to try it. It's no way near as expensive as hair transplant and the results are guaranteed. If you don't like it, it's easy enough to drop it with no Long term consequences.

With me, hair transplant wasn't really an option but having seen celebrities who have had it, after a few years the problem just comes back. Wayne Rooney is a good example but I guess it does depend on the individual case.

While it's true the chemicals we put on our skin is far from ideal, good health, to me, is a multifactorial thing. If you lead a healthy lifestyle with good exercise, healthy diet, supplements, minimise stress, maintain a healthy emotional state etc then I have found our bodies are remarkably resilient. Whilst even the most healthy people do get ill, the odds are less when you give your body the right conditions to thrive.

For me, health is my number one value in life and I lead a VERY healthy style. I know the potential risk with these chemicals but the difference in look is stark & I do all I can in other aspects to mitigate the potential harms from the use of these chemicals.

As you said, each route has it's pros and cons. Just got to make the right decision for yourself. Good luck!

Discipline hair

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would say a hair system is an easier decision. You don't have a lot to lose to try it. It's no way near as expensive as hair transplant and the results are guaranteed. If you don't like it, it's easy enough to drop it with no Long term consequences.

With me, hair transplant wasn't really an option but having seen celebrities who have had it, after a few years the problem just comes back. Wayne Rooney is a good example but I guess it does depend on the individual case.

While it's true the chemicals we put on our skin is far from ideal, good health, to me, is a multifactorial thing. If you lead a healthy lifestyle with good exercise, healthy diet, supplements, minimise stress, maintain a healthy emotional state etc then I have found our bodies are remarkably resilient. Whilst even the most healthy people do get ill, the odds are less when you give your body the right conditions to thrive.

For me, health is my number one value in life and I lead a VERY healthy style. I know the potential risk with these chemicals but the difference in look is stark & I do all I can in other aspects to mitigate the potential harms from the use of these chemicals.

As you said, each route has it's pros and cons. Just got to make the right decision for yourself. Good luck!
Thanks for the reply. Wayne Rooney, Rafael nadal, Virender Sehwag... All these celebrities had best possible transplant surgeons. But Hair loss is progressive. And I guess mine is progressing too.

How do you use your hair system ? I mean what do you use to attach ? What are the occasions when you remove it?

I mean I don't want to wear it to gym or while running or while sleeping. I can wear a cap or bandana. Still considering the working hours and evening social life. I would be using it around 10 to 12 hours a day.

mambovipi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How do you use your hair system ? I mean what do you use to attach ?
Tape around sides and back and glue 1cm on the front.

What are the occasions when you remove it?
Once a week I re-do the front. Once every three weeks I take it off completely to replace the tape.

I mean I don't want to wear it to gym or while running or while sleeping. I can wear a cap or bandana. Still considering the working hours and evening social life. I would be using it around 10 to 12 hours a day.
This would be exhausting IMO. Although some people talk of daily wear, I can't imagine it would easy. Once it's on it's ON. The only part of it that really is problematic initially is the front but takes some time to master. If you have an unexposed hairline then this can be made infinitely easier. The whole aim is to put it on and forget about it.

Hair system talk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Once a week I re-do the front. Once every three weeks I take it off completely to replace the tape.
What tape do you use? 3 weeks with tape is quite impressive

I understand your point but when you read and hear about these chemicals and tape potentially messing up your hormones, thyroid, sexual health, fertility then it becomes a worry. Diet and exercise won’t really cure any issues with the endocrine system.

hair transplant requires surgery and use of finasteride which also is an endocrine disrupter so both would be a concern.

I don’t plan on stop wearing because like you said the difference is stark, so what I would at least try to do is minimise the risks as much as possible.

Last edited:

mambovipi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What tape do you use? 3 weeks with tape is quite impressive
Ultra Hold Tape

understand your point but when you read and hear about these chemicals and tape potentially messing up your hormones, thyroid, sexual health, fertility then it becomes a worry. Diet and exercise won’t really cure any issues with the endocrine system.
I guess I just believe the body can adapt well to toxins when given the right conditions. We can agree to disagree here.