Saw Palmetto quick horror ?

sxyhairwatch

Reaction score
I had some Saw Palmetto lying around, and decided to give it add it in and see what happened. I don't know if that's the cause but I felt pretty dreadful the last few days since taking it.

Lethargic, no libido, lazy, don't want to eat as much, lost weight, headaches.

I mean i really wouldn't expect a few SP capsules to do that so quickly, but it's very strange. I never liked the idea of systemic DHT blockers, I think they are a friggin dreadful idea for some men. And the horror stories about Finestride are quite enough to put me off that.

Anyway like I say I don't know what's happened, maybe I just got run down but I think I'll be giving the SP a miss.

TEDDYRUXPIN

Established Member
Reaction score
Correct. The question is, what concentration are you taking?

Saw Palmetto is a androgen receptor blocker and will mess up your hormonal system for the first two weeks. Your body will then adapt afterwards or not.

sxyhairwatch

Reaction score
TEDDYRUXPIN said:

Saw Palmetto is a androgen receptor blocker and will mess up your hormonal system for the first two weeks. Your body will then adapt afterwards or not.

hmm the capsules are 450mg, i don't know I might have been taking like up to 6 day as an experiment for a week or so.

I mean I just felt like crud. Felt like i had crashed inside.

From what I've read it seems the jury is still out on SP for hair loss, but I suspect it does actually do something overall.

vauxall

Established Member
Reaction score
sxyhairwatch said:

Don't worry it's just your imagination. SP is not a medicine, it cannot give those side effects in such a short time.

Britannia

Reaction score
:stupid:

It can and does. Just because a treatment is natural does not mean it will not cause unpleasent side effects.

dpdr

Established Member
Reaction score
sxyhairwatch said:
TEDDYRUXPIN said:

hmm the capsules are 450mg, i don't know I might have been taking like up to 6 day as an experiment for a week or so.

From what I've read it seems the jury is still out on SP for hair loss, but I suspect it does actually do something overall.

450mg is a very high dose, switch to 320mg or 160mg

beaner

Reaction score
vauxall said:
Britannia said:
Just because a treatment is natural does not mean it will not cause unpleasent side effects.
Troll

Why is he a troll? He speaks the truth.

Britannia

Reaction score
vauxall said:
Britannia said:
Just because a treatment is natural does not mean it will not cause unpleasent side effects.
Troll

Yes Im clearly a Troll. Beneath your name it says "Newbie" - when you reach 1000+ posts like me you can consider your opinion to be somewhat valued. I will still probably think you're a c*** though.

Hoppi

Reaction score
dpdr said:
sxyhairwatch said:
TEDDYRUXPIN said:

450mg is a very high dose, switch to 320mg or 160mg

to be honest the bit about 6 a day was the part that scared me!! lol

I have ordered 450s as they were very cheap on ebay... do you think that was a bad idea?

EDIT -- again... SIX!!! I just got some 450s, and man if I started taking 6 a day man like... I would die lol

It's the dosage man, surely?

Hoppi

Reaction score
vauxall said:
sxyhairwatch said:

Don't worry it's just your imagination. SP is not a medicine, it cannot give those side effects in such a short time.

hehe this is a mad thing to say lol :)

Natural stuff can be very strong, and of course things like deadly nightshade can kill a man!

beaner

Reaction score
sxyhairwatch said:
TEDDYRUXPIN said:

Are these 450mg of extract or 450mg of the berries?

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
SP sides can be as bad as finasteride...if you take enough..and you are
believe me, I v been there and regretted it.
and never mind those people who think natural solutions don't have side effects.. i d like to see them drinking a gallon of peppermint a day.

Hoppi

Reaction score
waynakyo said:
SP sides can be as bad as finasteride...if you take enough..and you are
believe me, I v been there and regretted it.
and never mind those people who think natural solutions don't have side effects.. i d like to see them drinking a gallon of peppermint a day.

ah minty fresh breath! =D

flamingpie

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah i had the same awful side effects when i took saw palmetto. I took it for 8 months, have been off it for almost 8 months now and im finally coming back to normal.

I guess this is a sign that propecia will be just as bad for me.

Hoppi

Reaction score
flamingpie said:
yeah i had the same awful side effects when i took saw palmetto. I took it for 8 months, have been off it for almost 8 months now and im finally coming back to normal.

Hmm these are a little bit worrying, of course it's bad if SP has side effects like this, as much as I love natural remedies I won't defend them if they're doing harm! lol

I think in the case of sxyhairwatch he was merely on a very, very high dose. Imagine if you started taking like 5 or 6mg of finasteride a day and then complaining when you got boobs? lol :)

So, how much were you on?

I think for people wanting to use herbal remedies they should stick to 320mg SP or less, or also consider beta-sitosterol on it's own and/or Pygeum Bark Extract (up to 200mg per day) :)

Oh and I owe much of my knowledge of good natural male pattern baldness treatments to dpdr and misterE, so cheers guys :)

flamingpie

Established Member
Reaction score
well i was using 320mg a day and still had the sides.
Using sp, and using it for as long as i did, is a major regret of mine. Side effects lasted a long time and i didnt even have any hair growth.

Britannia

Reaction score
flamingpie said:

Not at all. Propecia gives you the exact correct dosage per tablet, which is extensively trialled and studied. You are just popping ill advised dosages of untested natural treatments and hoping for the best.