Saw Palmetto

Jaded

Reaction score
I was looking at this pdf and wondering why doesn't more people use Saw plametto?

http://www.usrf.org/research/best_poster.pdf

Finasteride reduced DHT from 5.01ng/g to 1.05ng/g
Saw Palmetto reduced DHT from 6.49ng/g to 4.40ng/g

I would say Saw Palmetto decrease is more healthy, plus unlike finasteride, it didn't reduced DHT serum, which in my book is a good thing. So if it was able to reduce DHT on the prostate without reducing serum DHT, the only explanation possible, it's because it blocked the binding of the DHT. It isn't this the thing that everyone wants and is looking for? Something that doesn't inhibit DHT production but only the binding?

Unfortunally i can't seem to find the dosage used.

Cob984

Established Member
Reaction score
it worked for me but also gave me the finasteride sides on a minor scale, gyno, low libido etc so now i take a very minimal dose only and apply it topically,

dont think it does much topically though,

also, i was initially taking around 300mg / day, it worked great for sometime but lost its effectiveness within 3-4 months

Jaded

Reaction score
The funny thing is that i had the best results when i was on a multivitamin from xtend life, that had Saw Palmeto 190mg and beta-sisterol 100mg, and i had no idea that both could be beneficial for the hair, hell i didn't even know they where there. I'm thinking about adding both to my regime.

abcdefg

Reaction score
I dont know if saw palmetto is strong enough to reverse to stop male pattern baldness though for whatever reasons that is. It did help me but like the other person said I also noticed it lose the effect some months after maybe that same thing happens with propecia much like many report it just takes longer because propecia is a lot stronger.

Jaded

Reaction score
I dont know if saw palmetto is strong enough to reverse to stop male pattern baldness though for whatever reasons that is. It did help me but like the other person said I also noticed it lose the effect some months after maybe that same thing happens with propecia much like many report it just takes longer because propecia is a lot stronger.
So basically there's no escape for the up-regulation.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Yes I dont know if its upregulation but something happens to have it lose effectiveness over time. I personally quit because of the sexual sides and I dont know how much it helped my hair so I figured I may as well use propecia if I use anything at all. Propecia is better studied then saw palmetto.

anxious1

Established Member
Reaction score
just because it reduces dht in prostate doesnt mean it reduces it in the hair follicle. I think we nedd the serum dht reduction.

R2D2

Reaction score
I've been really interested in taking Saw Palmetto and there are some studies that show it's more effective than finasteride.

In particular the use of this extract has not been associated with erectile dysfunction, ejaculatory disturbance, or altered libido (Wilt et al. 2000a). Remarkably, in another biochemical study, it was found that LSESr was a 3-fold more effective inhibitor than finasteride (5 mg/day) at concentrations adjusted to the recommended doses for BPH treatment. It should be noted that finasteride as indicated for Androgenetic Alopecia is dosed significantly lower (1 mg/day), suggesting, a 15-fold more potent level of inhibition at the recommended daily dose of LSESr (320 mg/day) (Delos et al. 1994).

Saw Palmetto(LSESr) is widely used in Europe instead of finastiride to treat prostrate problems and basically what's good for the prostrate is good for hair loss since both are DHT related.

There are many more studies for Saw Palmetto at the bottom of this http://www.follacure.com/t/saw-palmetto page.