Scientific Study: Baldness is Ugly

BostonBaldy

Reaction score
See the article summary below. Balding makes us ugly, let's face it. But we already knew it, that's why we're stressing out about it. As far as the "bald is beautiful" camp, well, we all know people (including women) say one thing and do another. I know for a 100% fact that it is harder for me to meet women. Used to get compliments from women, now I get nothing. Could the shift from Norwood 2/3 to 5/6 have anything to do with it? Well, look below and you'll find women are much more likely to think bald and balding is ugly. Seriously, if it gets any worse I'm blowing big bucks on a super-realistic wig, no doubt about it.

All the best,
BB

Perception of men with androgenetic alopecia by women and nonbalding men in Korea: how the nonbald regard the bald.

Reports
International Journal of Dermatology. 41(12):867-869, December 2002.
Lee, Hyun-Jeong MD; Ha, Seog-Jun MD; Kim, Dongjae PhD; Kim, Hyung-Ok MD; Kim, Jin-Wou MD

Abstract:
Background: Baldness has significant negative psychosocial effects. It has been asserted that the negative effects of baldness are often trivialized by the nonbald. Most studies concerning the perception of baldness have focused on the perceptions of the bald by themselves. In this study, we assessed the perception of baldness by the nonbald in Korea.

Method: A questionnaire on the perception of balding men was answered by 130 women (age range 15-58 years), 90 nonbalding men (age range 18-72 years) and 30 balding men (age range 20-63 years).

Results: Balding men were perceived as being older and less attractive by over 90% of respondents. A perception that balding men are less confident, duller, and less potent was reported by less than half of respondents. A perception that balding men are less attractive was significantly more common among women than among nonbalding men (P < 0.05). A perception that balding men appear less confident was significantly more common among balding men than among nonbalding men (P < 0.05).

Conclusion: In this study of Koreans, the perception of balding men by others was similar to the perception of balding men by themselves. It is likely that androgenetic alopecia adversely influences social interactions of those who are subject to it.

docj077

Reaction score
Sorry. Different culture. I would only trust a study that came out of the U.S. or Britain when it comes to this particular topic.

Balding in Asian countries is on the rise, but it is still nowhere near as prevalent as it is here. It really is an accepted part of life here. Sure, your friends, society, and family may mention it or even make a joke out it, but it's still accepted as the norm for the majority of males. The social ramifications are different over there when compared to here as it still is not the norm.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
docj077 said:
Sorry. Different culture. I would only trust a study that came out of the U.S. or Britain when it comes to this particular topic.

Balding in Asian countries is on the rise, but it is still nowhere near as prevalent as it is here. It really is an accepted part of life here. Sure, your friends, society, and family may mention it or even make a joke out it, but it's still accepted as the norm for the majority of males. The social ramifications are different over there when compared to here as it still is not the norm.

majority of males? I dunno about that.

BostonBaldy

Reaction score
Hey,

If anything you would think baldness would be MORE accepted in Korea, inasmuch it is less materialistic and image-oriented than the USA. But the fact baldness is negatively perceived there, especially by women, is quite striking. Just imagine the ramifications in America.

Another fact: baldness and balding makes you look older. Numerous studies have shown that looking older is perceived as less attractive, no matter what your gender.

In short, baldness makes you more ugly. Should this be any surprise that the scientific data confirm this?

Ultimately I am thinking we should take comfort in these findings. IF anything I am arguing our depression, worrying, etc. about hair loss are well-grounded in reality. Stop making yourself the enemy! For all those who tell you "not to worry" or "bald is beautiful", then go tell a hideously obese man that he is slim and fit.

All the best,
BB

jackstraw419

Reaction score
For those who said "bald is beautiful" but also spending all that money on hair treatment would make you a hypocrite. If bald is acceptable in society, why do we still create hair loss forums such as this to justify that hair loss isn't a bad thing. And why isnt there a forum for people who has a full head of hair?

tomas99

Established Member
Reaction score
docj077 said:

I second that. I have also heard recently that in one country in Asia (Thailand probably?), there is a new low or something like that which says that bald men can not be taxi drivers - this way country want to impress tourists.

It is simply because in these countries it is so unusual. In west, if I check men about 25 and more, 90% of them has some kind of hair loss (receding temples) which makes it more socially acceptable - it is simply quite common. HairLossTalk.com and such forums are because people suffer from baldness, but it does not mean that baldness withdraw someone socially (until he withdraw himself).

jakeb

Established Member
Reaction score
you would think baldness would be MORE accepted in Korea, inasmuch it is less materialistic and image-oriented than the USA.

Where did you get that idea?

CCS

Reaction score
docj077 said:

this is true. Just like obesity is accepted. 2/3 of americans are over weight, and 1/3 are obese. only 1/3 are a healthy weight. So it is normal to be fat, but that does not mean you can get hot women if you are fat.

CCS

Reaction score
hair today gone tomorrow said:
docj077 said:

majority of males? I dunno about that.

If you count all the old ones too, I think it is 25% of 25 year olds, 60% of 60 year olds, etc. So that would be half men. But there are more 25 year olds than 60 year olds, which would make 40% overall, but not with the baby boomers being here.

CCS

Reaction score
Cassin said:
Asians have a different view of hair than we do.

Its not often you seven see a gray Asian male, almost always dyed.

this is true. I had an asian professor, and could see his gray roots. I guess he did not dye it every day.

anyway, women want mature, established, skilled me, preferably with a young body, not an old one. They will go older to get the first 3 qualities. But looking older hurts you. Now if you dress older, that may advertise the first 3 again.

blondeguy

Established Member
Reaction score
There are so many more polls and studies showing women find bald men looked smarter, better dressed, and confident. Be well-groomed and be fun. There's the big secret to women for all you bitter guys. They're not mysterious untouchable entities, they're regular people too.

Bald Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
For those who said "bald is beautiful" but also spending all that money on hair treatment would make you a hypocrite. If bald is acceptable in society, why do we still create hair loss forums such as this to justify that hair loss isn't a bad thing. And why isnt there a forum for people who has a full head of hair?

Bald is ineeded beautiful if you have a beautiful face! I wanna still keep my hair because I look better with hair than without hair but even if I was bald I would still look good! There is nothing wrong with making the best of your appearance!

G

jackstraw419 said:

Bald really is acceptable in society, at least over here. Don't know about the States. I, however, have always had long hair before I started losing it and I think it suits me better and therefore want to keep my hair as long as possible.

Webster

Reaction score
My experience with native Koreans is they are big on conformity and anything which sticks out is ridiculed. They are also quite racist as a result. I'd like to see this experiment across cultures.

CCS

Reaction score
it is common sense that baldness is ugly. Just look at your butt. See how thinnly haired it is. And it is butt ugly. So now you see why balding makes your head ugly?

G

collegechemistrystudent said:
it is common sense that baldness is ugly. Just look at your butt. See how thinnly haired it is. And it is butt ugly. So now you see why balding makes your head ugly?

Wait a minute, something doesn't tick here... oh now I know: it's you talking about common sense and at the same time comparing a butt to a head.

recboi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
blondeguy said:
There are so many more polls and studies showing women find bald men looked smarter, better dressed, and confident. Be well-groomed and be fun. There's the big secret to women for all you bitter guys. They're not mysterious untouchable entities, they're regular people too.

They should find out more of those studies. Is it shaved heads, or horsehoe baldness??? Perhaps they think shaved head looks like Bruce Willis or Vin Diesel, which are currently just fads, and could go like the wind when they realize they like how Brad Pitt looks instead?

Captain Obvious

Established Member
Reaction score
^This guy is right. A big thick horsehoe compared to a buzzed or even shaved baldness makes all the difference in the world.