Sebastian's Story (Started on finasteride and nizoral, 5 august + pic)

sandyc

Established Member
Reaction score
Now you've shaved your head, your crown seems to have the same amount of hairs as everywhere else.

Sebastian84

Reaction score
Here are some new photos. I have been on finasteride every day since august.

Isn't my hair looking very thin?

Attachments

• foto(3).JPG
    foto(3).JPG
    577.7 KB · Views: 169
  • IMAG0005.jpg
    IMAG0005.jpg
    882.3 KB · Views: 194
  • IMAG0006.jpg
    IMAG0006.jpg
    755 KB · Views: 185

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Maybe a little but honestly almost everyone's hair looks thinner when its buzzed and there's a bright flash in it. Even people you normally think have the thickest hair ever.

Sebastian84

Reaction score
Here are some new pictures. My hair started growing, and now the hair loss is even more visible. I hate this so much! I have no money but still consider to have done a hair transplant, but maybe the finasteride can still fix it? (I have used it for half a year).

My scalp is still itching a lot, but not as much as a few weeks ago but now I am also shredding a lot, more than before.

Attachments

• IMG_0918.JPG
    IMG_0918.JPG
    701.4 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_0919.JPG
    IMG_0919.JPG
    577.8 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0920.JPG
    IMG_0920.JPG
    573.8 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0922.JPG
    IMG_0922.JPG
    617.7 KB · Views: 200

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Stay on the finasteride. You've only been on since August. Many, many people do not see significant improvement til at least 6 months, and some up to 1 year.

If I were you I might keep my hair buzzed real short, it's difficult to see the thin hair, or at least I think so.

If you aren't seeing any real improvement by 6 months, you could go ahead and start using minoxodil. Your hairline actually looks pretty good from what I see, so you might can just use it in the crown area.

Either way, do not give up hope, you still have most of your hair and I think there is a good chance you can save it and regrow some.

Sebastian84

Reaction score
Now it's time for an update.

I got some longer hair again, but the hair loss is still very easy to notice I think. I can hide it with hair wax and toppik though.

I am not losing so much hair anymore. Before I started finasteride and in the first month on finasteride, I was losing a lot of hair, I always found a lot of hair on my pillow. Now I am only noticing a few lost hairs every day, which I guess is normal.

The itching is getting better, I have stopped using Nizoral (don’t think it’s good for me) instead I am using normal shampoo and one time a week I use olives oil which is helping.

I am think a lot of getting a hair transplant, do you think it’s a good time for that, and how many grafts do you think I should get? Or should I try with Regaine?

Attachments

• IMG_1011.JPG
    IMG_1011.JPG
    656.2 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_1016.JPG
    IMG_1016.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 157
  • IMG_1017.JPG
    IMG_1017.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 150
  • IMG_1019.JPG
    IMG_1019.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 175
  • IMG_1022.JPG
    IMG_1022.JPG
    566.6 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_1023.JPG
    IMG_1023.JPG
    606.2 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_1024.JPG
    IMG_1024.JPG
    601.6 KB · Views: 155

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I would not think of a transplant yet. Stay on finasteride and you may thicken up the crown. It may take 3 years for your crown to get thicker.

Looks better already, also shedding means nothing. When you suffer from male pattern baldness you shed hair, when a treatment like finasteride is working, you shed hair. So don't worry about what falls out, just worry about what grows back.

If I was you I would take your finasteride and forget about it.

Is your semen still watery?

Sebastian84

Reaction score
Because of my age or first if I lose more hair?

I would never consider cutting the finasteride, it is a habit now, I really think it is working for me. But I shouldn't try minoxidil? Or when do you consider adding that? And can you quit minoxidil if you get an hair transplant?

The semen is like normal, but the sexdrive is a bit lower than normal, but no problems when I am with a girl. So I guess its fine.

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sebastian84 said:
Because of my age or first if I lose more hair?

Both. I would wait until 30s, but that is me. You never know your crown might fill in or your hairloss get worse and then you regret the hair transplant.

Sebastian84 said:
I would never consider cutting the finasteride, it is a habit now, I really think it is working for me. But I shouldn't try minoxidil? Or when do you consider adding that? And can you quit minoxidil if you get an hair transplant?

The semen is like normal, but the sexdrive is a bit lower than normal, but no problems when I am with a girl. So I guess its fine.

Yea, why not give minoxidil a try, it won't hurt.

OhioGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
Sebastian, I have been following your thread as I started finasteride the same time as you. I would hold off on the transplant idea. You are still in the early stages as far as what finasteride can do for you. Stick with it. I wouldn't be afraid to give nizoral a try again. Just apply it once to your scalp in the shower and don't leave it on as long. My head was itching and that worked for me. Be patient my friend.

Sebastian84

Reaction score
What kind of minoxidil should I try then? If I want to go for a transplant later, can I just stop with the minoxidil?

I want to try it, just need some more information about minoxidil :)

Sebastian84

Reaction score
Hi here is an update and some new pics from me.

I am still on finasteride every day, and nizoral once a week. I also started using toppik to hide my hairloss.

As a new thing I just started minoxidil yesterday, but already hate it. I brought a 6 month supply on Kirkland liquid minoxidil, and hate that it takes so much time to dry on the scalp. Thinking about trying the foam instead of the liquid I got. Is it easy to switch and can I do it after 6 month without problems?

I am also afraid I am going to hate the routine with using minoxidil two times a day, and I am sure I will miss it sometimes.

If I get a hair transplant at some point, will it make sense to stop minoxidil?

You are also welcome to comment on my pictures, thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1056.JPG
    IMG_1056.JPG
    532.4 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_1057.JPG
    IMG_1057.JPG
    602.1 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_1058.JPG
    IMG_1058.JPG
    565.7 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_1061.JPG
    IMG_1061.JPG
    672.6 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_1063.JPG
    IMG_1063.JPG
    732.4 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_1070.JPG
    IMG_1070.JPG
    490.5 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_1065.JPG
    IMG_1065.JPG
    646.6 KB · Views: 171

radiofreeeurope

Reaction score
Like you Sebastian, I've abstained from minoxidil for the inconvenience, I have enough in my routine without having to apply that twice a day. Plus the possible side effects scare me (bloated skin, heart problems). So I have a 3 month supply not being used.

All you can do is stick with the finasteride I guess. BTW I thought the pics of your hair looked good buzzed, the thinning seems more 'even' and less noticeable like that, I'm sure it would look better without bright flash too.

Sebastian84

Reaction score
Re: Sebastian's Story (Started finasteride and nizoral, 5 august 2010)

So it has been a while since my last update, so here goes...

I am still on finasteride, and been on it for over a year now, I find the routine easy and have a feeling that it is working! I am using nizoral for the itching once a week. I have also invested in some other shampoos which are helping a lot.

Here are some pictures, I just got a new haircut yesterday. I am looking forward to hearing what you think. Is it helping or what do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_1313.JPG
    IMG_1313.JPG
    727 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_1316.JPG
    IMG_1316.JPG
    552.8 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_1317.JPG
    IMG_1317.JPG
    541.3 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_1318.JPG
    IMG_1318.JPG
    523.1 KB · Views: 162

dboy

Reaction score
Looks like you got good growth...CAn you tell me what kind of shampoos you using..Do you think you can attribute the growth to the propecia or the shampooing?

thanks

Sebastian84

Reaction score
dboy said:
Looks like you got good growth...CAn you tell me what kind of shampoos you using..Do you think you can attribute the growth to the propecia or the shampooing?

thanks

I think it's the propecia/finasteride that are helping. The shampoos just help against the itching. I am using nizoral 1% (2% was too strong for me!). I also use Tea Tree Balancing Shampoo from American Crew and Dualsenses AntiDandruff Shampoo from Goldwell (just started using this last week).