Shaved my head, and it's STILL hard to stay positive.

Dragon_Knight

Reaction score
Actually, your hairline looks very normal for a man your age. You have a thick mat of hair on your head. If you look for men with the same hairline, you will most likely find a good 1/10~1/15 guys. In other words, average and not even noticable/a problem. If you try to look for men with a bird nest on their head your age, you'll probably find 1/300 guys. Assuming you see any.

A tell tale sign that your balding/receding hairline is noticeable is if you get sunburn on your scalp. Happened to me when I was 22, despite having chin length hair. You kind of get the wake up call of baldness around that time.

Anyway, keep up with your treatments or try to find new ones if you think your hair will recede any further. Guys our age lose a lot when we lose our hair. We build our confidence and self esteem during our 20's, and then mellow out in our 30's. So basically, losing your hair before you established yourself pretty much means you lose the chance to establish yourself. The trick is to NOT let it bother you, otherwise it makes it harder for you to focus on what you should be doing in your 20's. Just keep up the treatments.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
nice beard, theres always this option!

155364277_640.jpg

You actually look like me a bit. Id trim that beard up smooth, cut those sides REALLY skin short and blend the beard and side hair then grow the top a bit longer and part to the side a bit. Just my suggestion for you. Then start using some medications if you can to hold your hair where it is. I personally CAN NOT use finasteride but it might be worth a shot for you if you do it carefully. Start with minoxidil and maybe the nizoral.

Im telling you tho that beard makes you look WAY Older than early 20's so clip it up

I see those mounted record in the background, are you a musician?

mr.patches

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't get what's all the deal with having a beard. Actually it bothers me seeing my hair go and remain with all this goddamn body hair and thick beard. It's not my style and I don't want to compensate my lack of hair with facial hair just to have an upside down face frame. I feel you btw, I used to have long curly hair and that is who I am, but hair loss is taking my prefered style and my personality away and is leaving me powerless. Shaving and pretending to just "roll with it" is not something I could ever do, I'll stay with treatments to keep what I have as long as possible. Otherwise I won't be able to function to finally settle down in life.

mr.patches

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't get what's all the deal with having a beard. Actually it bothers me seeing my hair go and remain with all this goddamn body hair and thick beard. It's not my style and I don't want to compensate my lack of hair with facial hair just to have an upside down face frame. I feel you btw, I used to have long curly hair and that is who I am, but hair loss is taking my prefered style and my personality away and is leaving me powerless. Shaving and pretending to just "roll with it" is not something I could ever do, I'll stay with treatments to keep what I have as long as possible. Otherwise I won't be able to function to finally settle down in life.
Sorry for double posting. My advice is get back on finasteride and give it time. Monitor everything and treat the sides. I went through hell with finasteride and just kept going (played with doses a lot as well) until finally my body adjunted and I'm a 100%. Read my story, hope it helps http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interac...ort!!!-Decided-on-finasteride-story-questions

thedarkcolor

Reaction score

155364277_640.jpg

You actually look like me a bit. Id trim that beard up smooth, cut those sides REALLY skin short and blend the beard and side hair then grow the top a bit longer and part to the side a bit. Just my suggestion for you. Then start using some medications if you can to hold your hair where it is. I personally CAN NOT use finasteride but it might be worth a shot for you if you do it carefully. Start with minoxidil and maybe the nizoral.

Im telling you tho that beard makes you look WAY Older than early 20's so clip it up

I'm a musician, yeah. I used to be in and out of bands, I owned a record label for a bit, collect records...hell I work at a venue/record store and manage merchandise at large music festivals. I just see so many people in the industry I work in with great hair and it depresses the hell out of me. I don't know if you remember Swingline, but you commented pretty frequently on my "side effects" forum post which was the first post I made on this forum when I tried finasteride initially. It seriously screwed me up, and I remember you having pretty bad issues as well.

I wish that wasn't the case, if I could just hop on finasteride and be fine...ugh. It's kind of interesting, because in the industry that I work in, I'm easily the youngest person I know, however due to my NW3.5 hairline and huge *** beard no one would know. I'm only 24 years old!

F2005

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm a musician, yeah. I used to be in and out of bands, I owned a record label for a bit, collect records...hell I work at a venue/record store and manage merchandise at large music festivals. I just see so many people in the industry I work in with great hair and it depresses the hell out of me. I don't know if you remember Swingline, but you commented pretty frequently on my "side effects" forum post which was the first post I made on this forum when I tried finasteride initially. It seriously screwed me up, and I remember you having pretty bad issues as well.

I wish that wasn't the case, if I could just hop on finasteride and be fine...ugh. It's kind of interesting, because in the industry that I work in, I'm easily the youngest person I know, however due to my NW3.5 hairline and huge *** beard no one would know. I'm only 24 years old!

I really share your concerns. I was a heavy metal bass player myself and my first love has always been the 80s hair bands, for lack of a better term. Poison, Motley Crue, Ratt, Warrant, Firehouse, Quiet Riot, etc. My full head of long hair was my pride and glory, and whenever I got "hair compliments", it used to shoot my confidence through the roof. For me and the music that I love, the look goes hand in hand with the music and that is why hair loss has literally devastated me.

I've sometimes gotten flak from people on here about not getting a hair transplant. But unfortunately an hair transplant is very limited and unfortunately cannot give me that rock star head of long hair that I want back so much. Not even close. And without that look, I would still feel left out and awkward in the scene that I love so much.

hairlifted

Established Member
Reaction score
I think the worst thing you can do is grow a beard. Baldness makes you look 5-10 years older and so does a beard, add a beard to baldness and the result is often that you look 20 years older.
I disagree, it just depends on how the beard looks on a person. Some people look older for sure but I've seen some that look good when you have shaved your head. I imagine facial asthetics play a role too

nyjrb

Established Member
Reaction score
Some kind of facial hair always looks better then clean shaven on a man. The key part is finding the right style for your face and growth ability, which can be tricky. But, when done right, it can have massive advantages: slims or adds fullness to face, sharpens the jawline, and over all just adds a bit of definition to the face.
Since I was about twenty I've always kept my beard at a 5'oclock shadow length, until last year when I decided to grow a full beard, which is what I have now (I just get it trimmed down every 6 weeks when I get my haircut), and I'll never go clean shaven again. My face is just too thin (it's filled out a tiny bit since I've turned 25, but I doubt it'll fill out that much more) to pull it off.
OP, your beard is awesome btw. :)

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score

Sorry man I dont remember but yea I also had bad sides on finasteride. What was worse is I was almost on it a year before they showed up. What do you play? At least you have a cool passion and an "in" with an awesome and fun industry and get to hang at festivals. Years ago in my last band I wanted to do my own music festival. To bad we dont live closer in proximity, could have prob arranged some cool stuff.

SayifDoit

Experienced Member
Reaction score

155364277_640.jpg

That is hysterical.
What's that from and thanks for discovering the cure for baldness.

F2005

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry man I dont remember but yea I also had bad sides on finasteride. What was worse is I was almost on it a year before they showed up. What do you play? At least you have a cool passion and an "in" with an awesome and fun industry and get to hang at festivals. Years ago in my last band I wanted to do my own music festival. To bad we dont live closer in proximity, could have prob arranged some cool stuff.

I see you're from CT and I bounce around the CT music scene frequently.

Alex3366

Reaction score

I really don't want to have to cut my hair but if worst comes to worst, I'll just grow a beard

ppo8820

Reaction score
Consider a DHT blocking shampoo

So, I'm a 24 year old male...I've been dealing with real hairloss for about a year or two now. This past April, I shaved my head out of desperation. It didn't help my confidence at all and I'm depressed as ever. In fact, it made my hairloss even more apparent. I had shoulder length hair before and no one in my social life seemed to know I was balding until I shaved my hair and my hairline was exposed.

Here are three photos of me as of mere minutes ago. I let it grow out a bit to see what my options were...it's been about 2 months since I shaved my head. I have daily scalp itchiness and burning in the places that I am balding: temples, forelock, and the crown. It drives me absolutely insane. Today the itch was INSANELY bad. I shower daily and use 1% Nizoral and rotate that with my normal shampoo. Good god, I can feel the hairloss happening with this itch and burning. It's the worst.

View attachment 33358View attachment 33359View attachment 33360

To think that I went from this:
View attachment 33361

To the above in exactly ONE year is absolutely frightening. And the worst part about is that finasteride gave me incredibly awful sides when I did try it about 1.5 years ago. Should I give it another go? It screwed me up really bad for the better half of an entire month.

Any tips, pointers, advice, or constructive criticism is welcome. Also, feel free to go through my post history. I've got photos, progress of my hair loss, and even my "post finasteride syndrome" nightmare of side effects when I first created this account.

Thanks everyone for listening to this rant.

Dude, you are NOT that bad at all. You still have great density on top and it looks nice. Id start with a Keto based shampoo like regen-pure or Niazoral. They are a huge help. Most of the other pills and potions simply dont work, and if they did..............we wouldn't be here right now. Propecia made me a zombie, but I took it for 11 years (had no idea it caused my anxiety). Im off it now and I feel amazing, but then my hair started to go. Now I wear a system and I dont care what anyone has to say about it.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Wish I had ops hair. All I see are guys that look like him everywhere I go. Try being bald and mustering positivity in a sea of negative reinforcement. Every young woman will sneer in disgust at you. Guys will laugh in your face like you are a walking joke. Its the lowest feeling of the low... being designated as a looser by society. Nothing you say, do or accomplish can can compensate or detract from the fact that you are just another bald looser worthy of despite and social ridicule. If I looked like you I would fit in, belong and be accepted again. My life would be repaired but no, I am a repulsive gollumn living in a constant state of misery and agony. Funny, huh? Look atthe ridiculous bald guy. Lets crush his spirit.

Saurabhaj

Reaction score
I was successful in getting a girl (she proposed me) who liked me too much because of my confidence.When i met her in city where she did her post graduation,i took her her to our religion temple and for snacks,we had just 10 rupees( o.17 US Dollar) each kachori(Indian snack Item)..still she fall in love with me but her condition was that i should marry soon(arrange marriage),that was not possible as i want to do post graduation in Medicine..so i told her to leave me,she advice me to stay positive and someday,you will get even more beautiful girl than her(she though i don't like her but that was not the case).

xetudor

Established Member
Reaction score
It's interesting what reactions you get depending on how you frame the question. If it's a free for all they will go with the truth like admitting hair is extremely important. When asking them if hair is important they go "how can you be so shallow for caring about such simple things as hair? just shave it off".

But damn, they notice a guy's hair the most? Not his face or body?