Shedding vs miniaturisation

bananabus

Reaction score
Just realised I don't know the difference between the two of them.

I consider 'shedding' when my hair density decreases. How can I tell if it's due to normal hair cycle shedding or if it's due to miniaturisation?

Whats the difference exactly? Can you bounce back from one but now the other?

massa

Banned
Reaction score
People say you go through a shedding phase and then your hair grows back stronger then another shedding phase and your hair grows back stronger again . Personally I go through a shedding phase and my hair gets worse and doesn't grow back then the shedding stops a little and the a heavy shed recommences so it just gets worse I don't know what's going on . Right now I'm in a huuuuuuge shed well over 200 a day I'm estimating ! But I'm on dutasteride , ru and 15%minoxidil so maybe my hair cycles are adjusting . Density at the front has been severely damaged though, im starting to think my front is untreatable :(

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
I consider 'shedding' when my hair density decreases. How can I tell if it's due to normal hair cycle shedding or if it's due to miniaturisation?

Whats the difference exactly? Can you bounce back from one but now the other?

Telling the difference if the hairs are shedding or miniaturizing can be difficult to differentiate. Shedding doesn't always mean miniaturization, sometimes it can. Usually the best way to tell if there's miniaturization is that when the hairs fall out, they come back thinner, weaker, and the Anagen Phase is a lot shorter. Shedding is when the hairs fall out and come back normal with no miniaturization.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
shedding is when hair falls out to begin a new life cycle. Miniaturization is when it grows back thinner and shorter after a shed

bananabus

Reaction score
People say you go through a shedding phase and then your hair grows back stronger then another shedding phase and your hair grows back stronger again . Personally I go through a shedding phase and my hair gets worse and doesn't grow back then the shedding stops a little and the a heavy shed recommences so it just gets worse I don't know what's going on . Right now I'm in a huuuuuuge shed well over 200 a day I'm estimating ! But I'm on dutasteride , ru and 15%minoxidil so maybe my hair cycles are adjusting . Density at the front has been severely damaged though, im starting to think my front is untreatable :(

Dude, 2 months after I started dutasteride I also started exercising with a personal trainer. Only 1hr a day 5 days a week. I heard somewhere that if you use up your DHT to increase muscle mass then it won't stick around to damage your hair. As I said... My hair was shedding every 2 months on finasteride. Had my first shed in 6 months with dutasteride. Your regime sounds solid so maybe just try the exercise?

- - - Updated - - -

Phew. Hair definitely doesn't come back shorter so I'm relieved

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
shedding is when hair falls out to begin a new life cycle. Miniaturization is when it grows back thinner and shorter after a shed

This.

massa

Banned
Reaction score
Dude, 2 months after I started dutasteride I also started exercising with a personal trainer. Only 1hr a day 5 days a week. I heard somewhere that if you use up your DHT to increase muscle mass then it won't stick around to damage your hair. As I said... My hair was shedding every 2 months on finasteride. Had my first shed in 6 months with dutasteride. Your regime sounds solid so maybe just try the exercise?

- - - Updated - - -

First I've heard of exercise for hair loss. But maybe if I bulk up a bit it would distract from my giant forehead

How long into dutasteride did you notice improvements . I'm 3 months and my front is worse , like a thin nw3 but strangely my crown and mid scalp are perfect . Like it's not working in the area I want it to !!

bananabus

Reaction score
About 3 months in. 0.5mg every day. Peaked in January. Started shedding 2 weeks ago. Hoping I'll bounce back soon.