So say you were taking Saw Palmetto....

G

BTW- finasteride inhibits DHT at both sites, which is why it is used to treat both conditions.

:lol:

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Bruce i was replying to pop's comments, not yours :) Its all good.

HairLossTalk.com

glcs2

Reaction score
HairLossTalk.com wrote: Propecia is NOT VERY EFFECTIVE in the prostate (go figure!)

I thought Propecia has the same medicine as Proscar which is supposed to treat prostate.

Are you saying that Propecia blocks both types of DHT found in prostate and scalp but SP only blocks the DHT found in prostate?

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
glcs2 said:
I thought Propecia has the same medicine as Proscar which is supposed to treat prostate.
It does. And it has been used. Finasteride is not considered an exceptionally effective treatment for BPH however. This is the general concensus I've received from most doctors in the field. It is used to help, but it is not considered the gold standard.

glcs2 said:
Are you saying that Propecia blocks both types of DHT found in prostate and scalp but SP only blocks the DHT found in prostate?
No. That isn't what im saying.

HairLossTalk.com

G

I am not convinced of SP's affect on hair.

I find it hard to monitor a supplement that slows down hair loss,
as opposed to growing a bunch of new hair.

I have heard that SP inhibits both types that you refer to.

If Propecia and SP work differently . how do you expalin the same sides?
There must be a common denominator somewhere in how they work.

bombscience

Reaction score
Let's not get worked up in here. I started this thread to feel out how people who have stopped using saw palmetto reacted to the change.

It's been stated a hundred times that Saw P inhibits one form of 5ar, and Finasteride another. Furthermore the 5ar that Finasteride inhibits is directly related to hairloss where the DHT that SP inhibits (we speculate) is not. It's pretty obvious that SP is not a miracle hairloss treatment and many people when jumping into a regimen say "Hey this stuff right thar reduces DHT even morah, I betta take 960mg now... and it come frum uh plant... so it has to buh safe." I'm one of those people... but when you shed more OFF a treatment then on it does make you wonder.

The interesting part of all this is a little drug calle Avodart, which inhibits both forms. It was also shown to regrow hair more effectively in the Phase II clinical trials. Why?? Does it reduce levels of hairloss-causing 5ar in the scalp more? Is it because both forms of 5ar are inhibited?? Probably not.

wheresmyhair

Reaction score
BruceLee said:
wheresmyhair said:
Its funny now that I state this after all the arguments I had with HairLossTalk.com about my choice to use Saw Palmetto, but I decided to drop it as I started to feel a tad wierd emotionally. I thought I'd give it a month off and I did begin to lose more hair for 2 weeks. But after more than 6 weeks off my hair is thicker and I seem to have regrown a nice lot of hair in the crown. Now this could be due to 3 months on Revivogen and the introduction of folligen to my regimen a month later. I also dropped nizoral as this just caused more hair loss in my case 6 weeks ago. So you be the judge but after a good 3 months on Saw I found no real stop in hair loss, but I was more horny than ever.
So in the end I have decided not use Saw Palmetto, but that goes for Propecia as well as I rather avoid the systematic alterations that will happen after time.
So I end up agreeing with HairLossTalk.com in the end. Although I still believe in my right to choose.

How do you combine folligen and reviv? Are you concerned about the copper and zinc competing for absorption? See folligen website for reference on that.

Just use them on alternating days if your worried about that. I tend to use revivogen in the day and Folligen and night with Minoxidil. On the days I use Revivogen twice are the days I dont use Folligen. I've asked Dr Pickart about certain mixtures recently and he said that for best results combine Folligen and Minoxidil together and on the days I use other topicals alternate its usage. All in all regardless I have definate regrowth and thickening with both their usage.

G

wheresmyhair said:
BruceLee said:
wheresmyhair said:
Its funny now that I state this after all the arguments I had with HairLossTalk.com about my choice to use Saw Palmetto, but I decided to drop it as I started to feel a tad wierd emotionally. I thought I'd give it a month off and I did begin to lose more hair for 2 weeks. But after more than 6 weeks off my hair is thicker and I seem to have regrown a nice lot of hair in the crown. Now this could be due to 3 months on Revivogen and the introduction of folligen to my regimen a month later. I also dropped nizoral as this just caused more hair loss in my case 6 weeks ago. So you be the judge but after a good 3 months on Saw I found no real stop in hair loss, but I was more horny than ever.
So in the end I have decided not use Saw Palmetto, but that goes for Propecia as well as I rather avoid the systematic alterations that will happen after time.
So I end up agreeing with HairLossTalk.com in the end. Although I still believe in my right to choose.

How do you combine folligen and reviv? Are you concerned about the copper and zinc competing for absorption? See folligen website for reference on that.

Just use them on alternating days if your worried about that. I tend to use revivogen in the day and Folligen and night with Minoxidil. On the days I use Revivogen twice are the days I dont use Folligen. I've asked Dr Pickart about certain mixtures recently and he said that for best results combine Folligen and Minoxidil together and on the days I use other topicals alternate its usage. All in all regardless I have definate regrowth and thickening with both their usage.

Lets see if I get this, do you think this would work??

Morning,

Wake and put on minoxidil. 2-4 hours later, shower and apply crin or reviv. BTW-how does that reviv style up? At night, apply minoxidl and folligen.

Did I get this right or are you talking about reviv one day, folligen the other??

wheresmyhair

Reaction score
BruceLee said:
wheresmyhair said:
BruceLee said:
wheresmyhair said:

Lets see if I get this, do you think this would work??

Morning,

Wake and put on minoxidil. 2-4 hours later, shower and apply crin or reviv. BTW-how does that reviv style up? At night, apply minoxidl and folligen.

Did I get this right or are you talking about reviv one day, folligen the other??

Thats sounds fine. I start the day with revivogen then at night I shower and then apply Minoxidil. Ten mins later I apply folligen cream to the front and temples and a decent spray over the entire head. I then wash it all out and apply a nice spray of folligen before bed. On the days I apply revivogen morning and night which is usually 2-3 days a week and mostly on weekends I dont use Folligen and use minoxidil at night then wash it out and then apply rev before bed.
As i said if you are really worried about copper and zinc competing alternate the days you use them both, there shouldnt really be an issue if dont apply revivogen and folli at the same time, which is what I do under Dr pickarts advice.
Can I ask why you chose crin as well as revivogen??

Also revivogen seems to style quite nice as opposed to Folligen which leaves a rough texture on your hair, but I do find if too much rev gets on you hair it can have the same effect.

G

Crinagen is cheaper and appears to have virtually the same ingredients.

bombscience

Reaction score
BruceLee said:

We debated this topic a while back but it's impossible to tell how alike the two are are anymore. I guess the formulas of each have changed several times since conception.

Ask HairLossTalk.com for mor info about that.

G

bombscience said:
BruceLee said:

We debated this topic a while back but it's impossible to tell how alike the two are are anymore. I guess the formulas of each have changed several times since conception.

Ask HairLossTalk.com for mor info about that.

You are right. The current crinagen has the same ingred as reviv but you can never tell the amounts etc.

So, try cheap and see!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: