Some Interesting Ingredients In The Revivogen S&C

Mr_Reeses

Established Member
Reaction score
So I received my Revivogen Shampoo & Conditioner in the mail yesterday and I've decided to do some research, I found the following ingredients in these two products bad for hair health.

Shampoo:
Methylchloroisothiazolinone/ Methylisothiazolinone:
Edit: Both cause cosmetic allergies.

Cocoamidopropyl Betaine:
Can cause eye and skin irritation.

Conditoner:
Methylchloroisothiazolinone/ Methylisothiazolinone:
Edit: Both cause cosmetic allergies.

Cetrimonium chloride:
These chemicals have a positive electrical charge. They contain a quaternary ammonium group and are often called "quats". These are used in hair conditioners, but originated from the paper and fabric industries as softeners and anti-static agents. In the long run they cause the hair to become dry and brittle. They are synthetic, irritating, allergenic and toxic, and oral intake of them can be lethal.

Dimethicone Copolyol:
Silicone emollients are occlusive - that is they coat the skin, trapping anything beneath it, and do not allow the skin to breathe (much like plastic wrap would do.)

Recent studies have indicated that prolonged exposure of the skin to sweat, by occlusion, causes skin irritation. Some synthetic emollients are known tumour promoters and accumulate in the liver and lymph nodes. They are also non-biodegradable, causing negative environmental impact.

(These were all found to be toxic after long-term use) I'm unsure just how bad for your hair these ingredient are, the damage may be very small and unnoticeable depending on the amount in the bottle it may not be enough to harm your hair, the fact is that these ingredients are found to be toxic over a long period of use, in what amount would be judged upon how sensitive your scalp and skin is.

So what does this mean? I'm a little shocked at what I've found, these ingredients are listed right on the bottle [batch #101221]. I'm not sure if these are the new ingredients, everything else seems to check out fine, in fact all other ingredients in Revivogen are perfect for hair health.

I'm not saying Revivogen is a bad product or that it doesn't work, I'm simply pointing out some ingredients found to be bad for hair health.
(Found imformation at http://www.hallgold.com/tox.htm)

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You didn't list it right. You used the description for "mineral oil" to describe "Methylchloroisothiazolinone."

This is basically used in the shampoo to prevent bacteria/fungi from growing in the shampoo if you forget to put the cap on. This must be a new ingredient b/c it is not listed on the old bottle. I don't use the conditioner.

Mr_Reeses

Established Member
Reaction score
ripple-effect said:
You didn't list it right. You used the description for "mineral oil" to describe "Methylchloroisothiazolinone."

This is basically used in the shampoo to prevent bacteria/fungi from growing in the shampoo if you forget to put the cap on. This must be a new ingredient b/c it is not listed on the old bottle. I don't use the conditioner.

I apologize. Ripple is right, let me fix that!
Here is the new description says for

Methylchloroisothiazolinone/Methylisothiazolinone:
Both cause cosmetic allergies.

(they should have said 'can' cause cosmetic allergies imo)

Sorry guys, it was an easy mistake and thank you Ripple for pointing that out, glad you followed the link.

You are right, these ingredients do play an important role in the S&C, like I said I'm not trying to put Revivogen in a bad spot, I'm not saying it isn't effective at stopping hairloss or thickening existing hair, I'm simply posting some ingredients that have been found to be bad for hair and skin over a long period of use. Who knows, someone may be hypersensitive to these ingredients everyone is different.

I in fact use Revivogen myself and feel that it is a great S&C, I currently don't use Revivogen Scalp Therapy because I use Rogaine 5% and S5 Cream.

Ripple you may have the old bottle what is the expiry and batch number?
My expiry says 12/21/15 and the Batch # says 101221

I found Methylchloroisothiazolinone and Methylisothiazolinone listed as the very last ingredients on the bottle.