Spironolactone for excessive body hair?

IBM

Reaction score
I created Oral spironolactone Knowledge thread which gathered success stories about some users who used Oral spironolactone as treatment. You should read it.

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Do you have a link to it?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
casperz said:
LOL... here we go again. Transsexuals take up to 200mg/day (and some as low as 50mg) to reduce testostorone to female levels.

I think anybody whose testosterone is reduced to "female levels" by only 50 mg/day of spironolactone should go immediately to the nearest secret government institution and submit himself for medical research! :)

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Do you agree at some dosage level spironolactone does reduce testostrone?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Sure. But who knows, small doses may actually RAISE it. Or the two different effects may balance each other, with no resulting net gain or loss.

BTW, casperz, did you see that thing recently on HLH where somebody posted a link to a site saying that small doses like 50 mg/day won't affect testosterone levels?

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
BTW, casperz, did you see that thing recently on HLH where somebody posted a link to a site saying that small doses like 50 mg/day won't affect testosterone levels?

No, I have not been over there in a few months, not enough time to cover
all the forums I'm interested in. Do you have the link or is it easy to find?
I'd like to read it.

EDIT: I was not able to find it seaching for spironolactone, a link would be helpful if you
have one. I did stumble upon someone saying progesterone cream on the
temples grew some hair. Going to look into that more.

I'm probably one of the biggest anti-Sprio users here
but I've actually started to consider it since our last discussion. I'm thinking
if I monitor my testostorone levels before and during and just see what the
effect actually is on testostorne levels and my hair. The biggest thing that
concerns me is that a lot of transsexual sites say the results are permanent
after about 6 months. I'm also concerned that it might be like minoxidil and I
get more hair but my T level falls and I'm forced to stop and it all
falls out. What do you think about this plan?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
casperz said:
No, I have not been over there in a few months, not enough time to cover all the forums I'm interested in. Do you have the link or is it easy to find? I'd like to read it.

I'll see if I can find it again, but I can't make any promises. It was a few days ago. When I first saw it, I thought of you and came very close to drawing it to your attention, but I finally just ended up deciding that I'd be beating a dead horse.

casperz said:
I'm probably one of the biggest anti-Sprio users here but I've actually started to consider it since our last discussion. I'm thinking if I monitor my testostorone levels before and during and just see what the effect actually is on testostorne levels and my hair. The biggest thing that concerns me is that a lot of transsexual sites say the results are permanent after about 6 months. I'm also concerned that it might be like minoxidil and I get great hair but my T level falls and I'm forced to stop and it all falls out. What do you think about this plan?

Oh, I think it's a reasonable plan. Just take your daily dose for a week or two, and then have another blood test to see if there's any measurable change at all in your testosterone levels. Be sure and have the before-and-after blood tests conducted at the same time of day (like in the morning, or whatever) and don't make any other changes to your daily routine, to make the results as accurate and reproducible as possible. In the (very unlikely?) event that you do notice a significant change, it should be no problem to stop taking the drug after such a short period of time.

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
When I first saw it, I thought of you and came very close to drawing it to your attention, but I finally just ended up deciding that I'd be beating a dead horse.

LOL... well I have to warm up to some things sometimes. I just don't
like the idea of reducing T levels.

I've not decided for sure I'm going to try it yet. But if I do
I'll probably start with 50mg/day. And If i do I will monitor
my testosterone for sure. Do you think
there is any chance it will affect estrogen? Thinking I might
get that tested before I start as well. The tests are about $120 for
T and $160 for E so I don't want to do them too often. I'm thinking
one to start and then one in 3 months. As I go along I'll also
monitor subjective things like ED, BP, gyno, energy levels, etc. At three
months I should have a pretty good idea on my T and also
my hair.

Good point on getting the tests at the same time of day, anything else
I'm not thinking of?

CCS

Reaction score
Body Hair Transplants are much better for excessive body hair.

neis

Established Member
Reaction score

IBM

Reaction score
Socks and baldisbeautiful. They're oral spironolactone heroes.

Jack

Reaction score
I must admit that I've thought about starting oral spironolactone. I don't have any side effects on either finasteride or dutasteride , so I figured I might be in for some spironolactone.
Reason for this is that my frontal thinning doesn't seem to stop on dht inhibitors alone , and an androgen receptor blocker should be the perfect addition , right?

So should I start on 50mg and slowly move up to 200mg or jump straight to the full dosage and reduce after I get sides?
Any advice from you spironolactone heroes would be greatly appreciated.

neis

Established Member
Reaction score

iwantperfection

Experienced Member
Reaction score
IBM said:

Socks never had hairloss and if you ask me that oral spironolactone was starting to work on her...sorry him :whistle:

IBM

Reaction score
iwantperfection said:
IBM said:

Socks never had hairloss and if you ask me that oral spironolactone was starting to work on her...sorry him :whistle:

On her?

iwantperfection

Experienced Member
Reaction score
it was a joke.

i was implying he was starting to look a bit feminine.

oral spironolactone in my opinion is bad news :shakehead: