Still Irritated... sigh.

bombscience

Reaction score
I'm really frustrated guys...

Granted, I'm not NEARLY as irritated as I was before when I was using a regular minoxidil formula that contained Propylene Glycol, but my scalp is still irritated. It's strange too, because I'm mostly irritated in the front 3rd of my head (where my thinning is the worse). Especially the front middle (if you were to draw a 2 inch square from my widow’s peak back). I'm not flaking and there isn't any dandruff, but it's just that my scalp really itches. When I stopped minoxidil (the PPG stuff) for two weeks, my condition improved but the irritation never really 100% completely subsided, there were days were it wasn't bad at all though. Finally, I decided to go back on minoxidil, 1ml a day, which was fine. A little itching, but nothing major, and I felt I was experiencing jus an adjusting period. After a week or so, I felt good, so I bumped up to 2ml a day. The irritation got a little worse, so I cut out an application some times. I’ve been on PPG Free minoxidil for 3 weeks.

Thinking back on my hair for the last 4 years, I realize that my scalp has always itched a LOT, but I've never had a problem with dandruff. It's more that the skin always itched. I figured it was because I've had really dry, thick, and coarse hair. I remember the best feeling in the world was having a girlfriend scratch my head.

So not only am I writing just to b**ch a little, I'm writing to inquire about next steps. Is it possible that a skin condition could be contributing to my male pattern baldness? Should I have a dermatologist inspect things closer? Additionally, what should I do about this minoxidil situation? I'm not ready to give up just yet, but if irritation is the ultimate enemy, I need to do something now. I'm thinking about adding emu oil before giving up on minoxidil to see if I can hang.

Side note: I don’t think folligen is for me because that contains PPG.

Ah, I just wish one of these things would go easy for me... let me know what you think.

drinkrum

Reaction score
bomb,

nizoral really irritates the hell out of my scalp so I've stopped using it. Maybe it's an allergic reaction or something, but I think my hairloss just gets worse with it and my hair is absolutely _bone dry_.

I prefer T-Gel, and I know some peeps here use T-Sal. Have you considered giving those a whirl?

D.

bombscience

Reaction score
drinkrum said:
bomb,

nizoral really irritates the hell out of my scalp so I've stopped using it. Maybe it's an allergic reaction or something, but I think my hairloss just gets worse with it and my hair is absolutely _bone dry_.

I prefer T-Gel, and I know some peeps here use T-Sal. Have you considered giving those a whirl?

D.

I use nizoral 3 days a week, T-Gel or T-Sal 2 days, and Thicker Fuller 2.

Luther007

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Aloe gel or emu oil for SURE man, my scalp gets really itchy when i use all of this stuff but the aloe just coooools it right down. Definitely start using one of those.

bombscience

Reaction score
Luther007 said:
Aloe gel or emu oil for SURE man, my scalp gets really itchy when i use all of this stuff but the aloe just coooools it right down. Definitely start using one of those.

Luther, do you use any specific type of aloe gel? I assume this isn't the same thing you'd use to treat a sunburn.

VoRteX

Established Member
Reaction score
I found some green tea shampoo at a health food store.

It uses coconut soap and green tea extract. It has no sodium laryl sulfate or variances like 99% of shampoos.

Its very silky and leaves my hair feeling great. Plus I would hope that the green tea in it might do something beneficial.

You could try a natural shampoo like this and cut the nizoral to 2x/week.

Also try Tgel extra strength or a Zinc shampoo and see if it helps

Aloe Vera shampoo might be worth a shot also.

dave01_us

Established Member
Reaction score
I had a similar problem before only mine was more of a itching prolbem especially after i added spironolactone to the mix.What i did was when my scalp starting itching on my next minoxidil order from doctor lee i ordered it with the betamethasome valerate added it along with the tricomin took away the itch and made my scalp healthier.Some will say dont get the minoxidil with this added because its a cortisone but i only get it maybe once a year and use the regular 5% for the rest of the year.hope this helps

proscar 1.25 daily
5% minoxidil / night
crinagen 2x daily- tricomin couple times a day
spironolactone night
nizoral every 3rd day

thinstinks

Established Member
Reaction score
bomb diddy
try some emu oil i would think its easier to apply than aloe
best of luck

if you feel like scratching do what i do
put your index finger firmly on your 4head right below the frontal hairline....... and kinda use your finger to move your forehead skin and scalp up and down....like a massage.....feels great and help circulation get to the scalp

sounds weird I know but it helps me
p.s with the massage method...dont put your finger on the scalp, but on the 4head just below the hline

sorry if it doesnt help

Luther007

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Luther, do you use any specific type of aloe gel? I assume this isn't the same thing you'd use to treat a sunburn

Aloe gel is aloe gel, there aren't any different kinds. I buy 98% pure, which is pretty much the stuff right out of the plant. It's really good for the skin, which makes it good for the scalp (thus being good for your hair).

Emu oil might be easier to apply though, and it sounds as though it works just as good. The folligen people recommend it pretty highly. Try one of them to alleviate your itchiness!

cosmo gene

Established Member
Reaction score
bomb

search for posts by oxhide. the significance of adequate antioxidant protection in the prevention and reversal of hairloss (itchiness etc) is discussed. Do research into the dosage of antioxidants that you require, ie. depending on lifestyle, history etc...

grape seed extract, vitamins a c e selenium beta carotene green tea etc.....

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've got nothin to add here except best of luck, bomb.

VoRteX

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah mang.

try some diff shampoos, if all else fails cut back

i feel ya

cosmo gene

Established Member
Reaction score
bomb

what is your antioxidant regimen, eg. vortex takes green tea capsules.
As for my self I prefer drinking green tea, however, I take vitamins a c e selenium betacarotene alphalipoic acid N acetyl cysteine etc.........

bombscience

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys. I've been MIA lately due to work and some personal stuff. Things are not looking good right now with the irritation. The hairs are falling out again with full force. Yeah yeah I know, shed again right? I dont think so, cause they all look horrible. Almost like the hair died over 2 inches.

The shampoos I do use seem to be helping, but by 10am i'm already itchy again.

To answer some questions that were asked. For antioxidants, I take 60mg of Grape Seed, and 50mg of Green Tea dailly.

In terms of "regular" shampoos, in the last 3 months I've switched from Nioxin to Progaine to Garnier Fructus to Thicker Fuller Hair. I gave each about 2 weeks, and Nioxin was hell on me because of the PPG, Progain/Thicker Fuller were the best.

I'm going to try ordering some Emu Oil from Dr. Prickart today. In the mean time I'll try some of that 98% aloe I bought last night I got burnt snowboarding. Thanks aging for supporting me with this sh*t guys. I really need to get things under control.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hey BS, i'll sell you half a quart of Emu Oil for $30,. exactly half of what I paid for the full quart I bought (including shipping). Cant beat that price,. I orderd too much, 'cuz I couldnt pass up the bulk rate discount from Sugarcreeks.com.

I've been taking 150 grape suppliments, 85mg seed extract, 17mg skin extract, 6mg grape extract. Bought this stuff cheap as hell at Costco. I dont know how big a part it has played, but my scalp feels great.

cosmo gene

Established Member
Reaction score
bomb

I have used emu before, it is inherently good, however it will not solve the root of your itching. Through my hairloss ups and downs I have discovered that for myself, i require a certain level of antioxidant protection or my scalp will itch. In addition I discovered that all forms of minoxidil including ppg free will induce itching on my scalp. My anecdotal recomendation will be to increase your antioxidant intake, I am not a doctor and one does not require a prescription to purchase antioxidants, HOWEVER for my self, It does seem to make a major difference.
wasup OXHIDE where you at??????????????

Peace