Students on Regiments...

Bismarck

Reaction score
Bryan said:
BadHairDecade said:
Bismarck said:
I(It's note a regiment but a regimen [and not a regime]) :)
actually all three are acceptable....

I think "regimen" is the word of choice in this context, with "regime" being possibly a distant second choice. But "regiment" doesn't cut the mustard in this context. It implies something like the 101st Manned Airborne Division! :D

(I'm waiting to see if Bismarck has any idea what "cut the mustard" means! No, it's not the same as "cut the cheese.")

Bryan

(1) From the context (without knowing what "mustard" means):
I guess it means something like "appropriate" or maybe "the best possible choice" if you meant it in an ironic way.

(2) From the word:
After I had seen the translation for mustard, this idiom could mean something like: "like a hot knife through butter" in the negated meaning if you say that it "doesn't cut the mustard". But this wouldn't make much sense in that context.

(3) From my very own language:
Maybe this is a somewhat older idiom, such that mustard isn't meant as the yellow hot paste. There is a very similar word in the German language ("mustern") derived from latin ("monstrare"~"to show") that is used to express the inspection of a soldier for example (maybe that's the reason you used it intentionally or unintentionally in the context of a "regiment"). So if that is the right meaning of "mustard" I'll also have to look for another meaning for "cut" because "cut" meaning "dissecting sth." doesn't make sense. The German translation for "cut" is "schneiden" which also means to avoid or not to attend something. Hence if something or someone cuts the mustard it is good and successful enough not to have to attend the inspection. That would imply about the same meaning as (1).

Next I would try the agricultural approach (I had to know how such a plant looks like) or something like (2) but with the taste instead of consistency....

My favourite explanation for the existence of that idiom is that an idiot (an immigrant to the american continent) just did a stupid babelfish-like one-to-one translation from his native language (french, german, dutch,..) and this was adopted by time. This explanation should cut the mustard....

OK Bryan, what is it ? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Bismarck

Reaction score
Oh, and it would be interesting to know if posters from Australia or Great Britain know what it means... :roll:

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
junior_senior said:
Would the hair that I gained from minoxidil remain as I'm still taking finasteride, or are the new minoxidil hairs dependent on my consistent use of minoxidil???

It's been firmly established over the years that it's _possible_ for hairs to be so-called "minoxidil-dependent", although whether or not that actually happens with YOU or any other specific individual depends on various as-yet unknown factors. See the following pair of studies (the second one is the one about "minoxidil-dependency"). It's a sizeable download of 604k, so be patient:

http://www.geocities.com/bryan50001/finasteride-minoxidil.htm

Bryan

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Bismarck said:
Bryan said:
(I'm waiting to see if Bismarck has any idea what "cut the mustard" means! No, it's not the same as "cut the cheese.")

(1) From the context (without knowing what "mustard" means):
I guess it means something like "appropriate" or maybe "the best possible choice" if you meant it in an ironic way.

Well, you basically have it correct right there! :lol: To "cut the mustard" means to be appropriate, or to work properly, or to be a good choice....anything along those lines. Another example of its use would be this: "You're taking a pocket-knife with you to Bagdhad to protect yourself?? Sorry, that won't cut the mustard!"

It's a colloquial expression (maybe even slang!) that isn't heard very often anymore, so I'm not sure if you should even bother to remember it. I remember hearing it used more often when I was a kid, but not so much in recent times. However, I like it because it has a funny or humorous quality to it! It just SOUNDS funny! :)

Bismarck said:
(3) From my very own language:
Maybe this is a somewhat older idiom, such that mustard isn't meant as the yellow hot paste. There is a very similar word in the German language ("mustern") derived from latin ("monstrare"~"to show") that is used to express the inspection of a soldier for example (maybe that's the reason you used it intentionally or unintentionally in the context of a "regiment"). So if that is the right meaning of "mustard" I'll also have to look for another meaning for "cut" because "cut" meaning "dissecting sth." doesn't make sense. The German translation for "cut" is "schneiden" which also means to avoid or not to attend something. Hence if something or someone cuts the mustard it is good and successful enough not to have to attend the inspection. That would imply about the same meaning as (1).

Damn...that's an interesting and insightful analysis, Bis! It actually makes me wonder if that _might_ have something to do with the English derivation of "cut the mustard"!

One final word on that: I have no idea at all whether the British or Australians also use that expression.

Bryan

foo2

Reaction score
Bryan said:
One final word on that: I have no idea at all whether the British or Australians also use that expression.

Bryan

we do, definately :) i think england is the home of the silliest sayings too....like "raining cats and dogs" and "different kettle of fish"

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
19yr old student here

3 month of generic finasteride $55 I'm probaly going to switch to proscar here pretty soon. Sicne it's cheaper and my regime isn't getting any smaller

spironolactone $20 a month? I don't know how long those little small bottles last but doesn't seem longer than a month

nizoral $3

so about $40-50? not really bad considering my cell phone bill is right around there.