Subway Sammiches

Aplunk1

Reaction score
How do you like yours?

My favorite would have to be the BLT with extra jalapenos, banana peppers, pickles, and chipotle dressing. Yes, I love spicy!

Obsidian

Reaction score
F Subway, this is better and cheaper
ThunderCloud_Subs__512__443-0960_1.png

Nene

Reaction score
I hate subway but if I was forced to eat there I would get the meatball sammich with cheese and onions on wheat.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:
My favorite would have to be the BLT with extra jalapenos, banana peppers, pickles, and chipotle dressing. Yes, I love spicy!

That's very close to what I get, too! I get a foot-long BLT with cheese and "The Works", and jalopeno peppers. One additional thing I do, though, has to do with the ridiculously skimpy amount of mayonnaise they put on their subs: when I get the sandwich home, I add additional mayo of my own to it. I might even add some garlic to it, depending on my mood.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I just realized I goofed: it's not a BLT that I get, it's a BMT! Is that what you meant, too?

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
i Like the seafood one all-dressed and the melt with the bacon :) I eat there everyday at lunch.. 9 grain Honey Oat bread is the best.. :punk:

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Bryan said:
Aplunk1 said:

That's very close to what I get, too! I get a foot-long BLT with cheese and "The Works", and jalopeno peppers. One additional thing I do, though, has to do with the ridiculously skimpy amount of mayonnaise they put on their subs: when I get the sandwich home, I add additional mayo of my own to it. I might even add some garlic to it, depending on my mood.

Bryan! man up and ask the goon to add some more! They won't charge you more! Mine is dripping sometimes! LOL

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
squeegee said:
9 grain Honey Oat bread is the best.. :punk:

Hey, that's what _I_ get, too! You and I think alike! :)

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Bryan said:
I just realized I goofed: it's not a BLT that I get, it's a BMT! Is that what you meant, too?

Nope, I meant the Bacon-Lettuce-Tomato. It's really well-done for a Subway sammich, plus it has a unique taste that differentiates from the other Sub sammiches.

And as far as mayo goes, no thanks! Give me Southwest Chipotle, and I'm good! On the occasional day where I'm craving some tanginess, I'll replace the Chipotle with Oil/Vinegar and salt 'n pepper!

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
squeegee said:
Bryan! man up and ask the goon to add some more! They won't charge you more! Mine is dripping sometimes! LOL

Hmmm...I'm tempted to do that, because the amount of mayo they put on those things is simply RIDICULOUSLY inadequate. Hell, it's barely there at all! :dunno:

I do remember once, though, a long time ago when I was watching another customer's sandwich being prepared just ahead of me, and the guy asked for additional something which I don't remember (Cheese? Veggies? I dunno...), and the guy behind the counter turned him down, saying something to the effect that he had added all he could of that particular item. Obviously Subway _may_ be able to add more of certain things to their sandwiches at the customer's request, but there has to be reasonable limits...

HughJass

Reaction score
I used to get the ft long meatball on white with cheddar, cucumber, lettuce, capsicum and mayo (there was never any shortage of mayo btw :) )

But I don't eat there anymore as it doesn't comply with my dietary regimen. I don't miss the 'bread' at subway. At all. But I could probably eat two ft long meatball subs very easily at this moment. That sauce is pretty good.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:
Nope, I meant the Bacon-Lettuce-Tomato. It's really well-done for a Subway sammich, plus it has a unique taste that differentiates from the other Sub sammiches.

On your recommendation, I'm going to give that a try, the next time I go to Subway.

Aplunk1 said:
And as far as mayo goes, no thanks! Give me Southwest Chipotle, and I'm good! On the occasional day where I'm craving some tanginess, I'll replace the Chipotle with Oil/Vinegar and salt 'n pepper!

Dang, I had to Google "chipotle", just to find out what it is! How come I've lived here in Texas for almost 42 years, and never heard that word?? :)

Oh man...my mouth is watering, just thinking about that "chipotle" on a Subway sandwich...

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
aussieavodart said:
I used to get the ft long meatball on white with cheddar, cucumber, lettuce, capsicum and mayo (there was never any shortage of mayo btw :) )

After reading what you guys said about it, I'm beginning to suspect that this "mayo problem" I'm having with my local Subway store (it's pretty close to my house, which is why I go there a fair amount) _may_ be unique to that specific store. Does the local manager instruct his employees to be really stingy with the mayo, as a simple way to save a few nickels and dimes? I would have guessed that there would be a consistency in the quality of the products from one Subway store to the next, just like there is at McDonald's, but maybe that's not the case.

When they apply it, they take those plastic mayo bottles and lay-down two (I repeat, TWO) of those thin lines of mayo across the length of the sandwich. The lines are very thin! They're bigger than the lead in a pencil, but definitely NOT as big as the pencil itself, which I consider to be an absurdly small amount. When I get it home, I add TEASPOONFULS of additional mayo to the sandwich, spread along its length.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Interestingly, a Subway employee once told me that OLIVES were counted. Yes, there is a cap to the amount of black olives you can have on your sammich.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:
Interestingly, a Subway employee once told me that OLIVES were counted. Yes, there is a cap to the amount of black olives you can have on your sammich.

Interesting. But he said (or implied) that no other ingredient was strictly enforced like that?

The Gardener

Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:
Naaah, I don't believe that. I've had some Subway technicians rain down olives on my sub like a drunk man making it rain billz at a strip club. Waaaay too much.

If forced to eat at Subway, which is not a total disaster but not a preference, I opt for the Subway Melt - Turkey, Ham, Bacon, on a toasted white roll. No mustard, just mayo, light bell pepper, light onion, light olive, no oil or vinegar, extra pepper, no salt. Winner winner chicken dinner.

If available, I prefer Jersey Mikes to Subway. Much higher quality sh*t. And, when in the mood, Jersey Mikes makes a damn good hot Philly sandwich. It's not the original, but for the price and convenience, I give it a big thumbs up. They do a real nice job of it, very tasty... pretty good quality beef, wafer thin slices, mixed with thin slices of sauteed green pepper and carmelized onion, and they put just the right amount of char on it all, then top it with provolone. Believe me its good.

I hate Quiznos. Maybe its just a local store thing, but they have such thinly sliced meats... and, it seems like the staff use tongs to, literally, gently pick up these gossamer strands of "meat" and put them on a scale for EACH sandwich, just to make sure that the serving size is correct. Sorry, but it just looks skimpy to me, and frankly I think that Quiznos skimps on meat and uses heavy servings of the sauces to make up for it.

I recently moved from one side of the city to the other, and I DEARLY MISS my old family owned "hole in the wall" Italian Deli down in Long Beach. They made a DAMN good sandwich, this Italian Combo thing that was Italian cured ham and salami with a few slices of this really awesome very dry and ultra-nutty/smoky/salty Gruyere-ish Swiss cheese on a fresh baguette with mayo and Italian dressing. F*cking awesome. Ham and Gruyere cheese were made for each other. I really need to find a quality Italian deli up here in the San Fernando Valley and have not yet done so.

HughJass

Reaction score
joshua said:
Lol. Just lol.

x2

It appears that Bryan has really studied Subway's sauce application methodology. How many of these things have you eaten Bryan?

I can just see him quizzing the guy behind the counter next time he's up there, then asking for the manager, nutting out the particulars of subway's policy on ingredient allocation per customer including whether metric units or imperial are used and then finally negotiating amendments to said policy, effective immediatly.

Ian Curtis

Established Member
Reaction score
Where I come from the only food you find on the subway stations are vending machines...unless of course you find some food on the floor. :woot: