T-Gel - nizoral Combo Query

Petchsky

Reaction score
I know a lot of poster's use both products, but i been using them both together at the same time... while most use them seperatley. So, i'm wondering whether it is okay to mix the two shampoos?

:ideias:

Axon

Reaction score
I know Dr. Lee produces a shampoo that is exactly a mix of T-Gel and Nizoral (1 or 2%, I'm not certain) so I'm sure it's fine.

Don't worry about nizoral the shampoo so much. With regular use, it's safe. It's only potentially hazardous to the liver if you take the oral form of the medication.

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It's T/Sal in Dr. Lee's poo.

AKA

Established Member
Reaction score
Ahhh! 'Poo'. Now I get it!

That's a relief, I was getting worried as to what everyone was talking about when they kept referring to 'poo'...

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Im still not clear on the point of using both shampoo's.

1) You use Nizoral to kill fungus and stop itching/inflammation
2) You use Nizoral for its antiandrogenic properties

1) You use TGel to kill fungus and stop itching/inflammation

So if you no longer have itch... why would people continue to use TGel with Nizoral? There is no additional benefit of TGel like there is with Nizoral. I only advocate continuing use of Nizoral in the absence of itch because it has the ability to stimulate minor hair regrowth as well. TGel doesn't. So why use it?

HairLossTalk.com

Petchsky

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies chap's,

I have heard it said that T-Gel is good for improving the absorption of topicals... whether this is in regards to being better than Nizoral for this purpose i don't know... but they seem to work well together....the two smells combine nicely as well. Still don't what to get that sh*t in your eye though... or for that matter your mouth, nizoral tastes so bad.

Cassin

Reaction score
EDIT: I forgot! Petchsky your in the UK right? In the UK salicylic acid
is T/GEL.......

In the US T/GEL uses .5 %Coal Tar
T/SAL uses 3% salicylic Acid

In the UK T/GEL uses 3% salicylic Acid

So Petchsky your doing the right thing after all!

Petchsky

Reaction score
Cassin said:
T/SAL....not T/GEL improves absorption.

Ah, i thought T-Sal was just the American name for T-Gel, so these are different shampoos... ?

Guess i will buy some T-Sal then, thanks :eek:

Petchsky

Reaction score
Well thats good news for me, because i am so poor at the moment i can not even afford shampoo!

Thanks for your help Cassin

P.S Don't know why we have to have different names for the same products! But i'm blaming you Americans. :lol:

Axon

Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
Im still not clear on the point of using both shampoo's.

1) You use Nizoral to kill fungus and stop itching/inflammation
2) You use Nizoral for its antiandrogenic properties

1) You use TGel to kill fungus and stop itching/inflammation

So if you no longer have itch... why would people continue to use TGel with Nizoral? There is no additional benefit of TGel like there is with Nizoral. I only advocate continuing use of Nizoral in the absence of itch because it has the ability to stimulate minor hair regrowth as well. TGel doesn't. So why use it?

HairLossTalk.com

I believe the idea is that the T/Sal "wipes" the scalp down and allows the Nizoral to better absorb into the skin, and by proxy, fight DHT more efficiently.

I think it's ridiculous as well. :)

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Let's all chip in and buy Petchsky some shampoo for christmas!!!

HairLossTalk.com

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Axon said:
I believe the idea is that the T/Sal "wipes" the scalp down and allows the Nizoral to better absorb into the skin, and by proxy, fight DHT more efficiently.

Thats kind of what I thought. I think the point still stands. I don't see the point in using two medicated shampoo's all throughout the week, and I am concerned that some guys are actually going to cause themselves problems by doing so. I think you'd do your scalp a better service to use Nizoral once every 3 days and give it a break on the off days! Hmmmmmmmmm

HairLossTalk.com

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
Axon said:

Thats kind of what I thought. I think the point still stands. I don't see the point in using two medicated shampoo's all throughout the week, and I am concerned that some guys are actually going to cause themselves problems by doing so. I think you'd do your scalp a better service to use Nizoral once every 3 days and give it a break on the off days! Hmmmmmmmmm
If there is continued skin irritation, say from Revivogen or other topicals, Nizoral may not do anything to overcome that whereas a coal tar shampoo may. That's why I use both, Nizoral did nothing to overcome my scalp irritation, but the coal tar shampoos (Henna as well as T-Gel) did. Coal tar works to soothe skin irritation. The only problem is that both Nizoral and coal tar shampoos dry out your hair, so using a conditioner is important, as has been stated here previously.

Petchsky

Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:

HairLossTalk.com

I agree with you here.... but what i do is not use them both seperatley, but literally at the same time, squirt nizoral in my hand, then mix T-Sal with it, use that 2X's a week and other shampoos on other days. Then you get the best of both... but if this is indeed ridiculous, then i guess its a waste... but it is not just for better absorption of nizoral but minoxidil mainly.

I don't know, but they do appear to work synergetically to me.. afterwards my scalp feels better, and when i apply minoxidil and then go to wipe/smear it in most of it as just been soaked in, rather than sitting on my head.

P.S Shampoo, just what i always wanted, How'd you know? better than socks!

G

Axon said:

why would this be considerd ridiculous?

T/Sal does not 'wipe' down the scalp, the fruit acids (salicylic) remove some dead epidermal layers.

sorry to dig the old Dr Lee Quote out but here it is:

Quote from Dr Lee website: Ketoconazole has been proven to decrease the quantities of DHT in the scalp by helping to inhibit its synthesis from sterols.  Salicylic acid has a keratolytic and a slight antiseptic action when applied topically to the skin.  By removing some of the dead epidermal layers of the stratum corneum, there is an enhanced action by the ketoconazole in suppressing the production of DHT in the scalp.

and aslo.....

quote from Nutrogenas own website: Ketoconazole has rapidly become the treatment of choice for scalp conditions such as Dandruff and Seborrheic Dermatitis , among many Dermatologists and other medical professionals. However, while patients with Hyperkeratotic scalp conditions are often encouraged to wash their hair daily, Ketaconzole is indicated for use only twice a week.

T/Sal Maximum Strength Shampoo contains 3% Salicylic Acid, primes the scalp for effective keratolitic therapy. As a first line treatment it reduces crusty scalp build – up with maximum Keratolitic Activity. So it is an ideal pretreatment for Ketoconazole and Co - therapy (Alternative days) with Tar Shampoos. Because it is fragrance free, colorant free and preservatives –free Shampoo, patients with sensitive scalps can drive the therapeutic benefits of Salicylic Acid without risk of irritation due to undesirable additives.

T/Sal Maximum Strength Shampoo is cosmetically elegant, with the conditioning shampoo base, which overcome the dryness and irritation that could accompany higher concentrations of Salicylic Acid. The result is effective therapy without having to sacrifice soft, manageable hair.

How to Use: 

Massage into wet scalp, leave on several minutes, rinse thoroughly and repeat.

Also this whole T/Gel - T/Sal thing is getting out of control !!!

In the US:
T/Gel shampoos have Coal Tar
T/Sal shampoos have Salicylic Acid

In the UK:
T/Gel (for dry irritated scalp) has Salicylic Acid

Coal Tar = Amber/Brown Shampoo
Salicylic Acid = Clear Shampoo

I use UK T/Gel with Salicyclic Acid (like Prince formaly known as T/Sal) wash leave on for a few minutes, rinse lather in Nizoral leave on for a few minutes.

"We all got diffren' scalp boss"

Ty

Red Rose

Experienced Member
Reaction score
HairLossTalk.com I would appreciate it if you don't make sweeping statements that are not corroborated because otherwise you are going to mislead people.

Cassin

Reaction score
I think TynanW summed it up perfectly in a nice neat post. :)

I truely believe that Salicylic Acid is a very glossed over treatment for hairloss and one of the cheapest you could possibly add. I need it for irritation and for ME it seems to do the job better than Nizoral. I rotate T/SAL one day, Nizoral the next day, then use a non-medicated shampoo the next day.

T/SAL is great for getting alot of the buildup from gels and hair sprays off of our scalp. Plus since it gets some of the dead skin out of the way, we increase absorbtion. Granted the absorbtion is probably minor, but every little bit counts. Besides, that stuff makes my hair look fantastic.

Here is where HairLossTalk.com and TynanW are both correct in my book

tynanW said:

HairlossTalk said:

I agree with HairLossTalk.com that our scalps need a break. I would highly discourage newbies, people not using several topicals, and people with no irritation to use Salicylic Acid. I think this should be considered later after all else has failed.

Just like other tools to fight hairloss it should only be used after the proper sequence of products have been given a true shot before adding on Salicylic Acid or any other product.

I added a year after fighting irritation as a desperate measure. I tried many shampoos and Copper-Peptides to get everything under control. For me it takes an all out assault on irritation to keep it down.

I love the stuff.

Axon

Reaction score
tynanW said:
Axon said:

why would this be considerd ridiculous?

T/Sal does not 'wipe' down the scalp, the fruit acids (salicylic) remove some dead epidermal layers.

sorry to dig the old Dr Lee Quote out but here it is:

Quote from Dr Lee website: Ketoconazole has been proven to decrease the quantities of DHT in the scalp by helping to inhibit its synthesis from sterols.  Salicylic acid has a keratolytic and a slight antiseptic action when applied topically to the skin.  By removing some of the dead epidermal layers of the stratum corneum, there is an enhanced action by the ketoconazole in suppressing the production of DHT in the scalp.

and aslo.....

quote from Nutrogenas own website: Ketoconazole has rapidly become the treatment of choice for scalp conditions such as Dandruff and Seborrheic Dermatitis , among many Dermatologists and other medical professionals. However, while patients with Hyperkeratotic scalp conditions are often encouraged to wash their hair daily, Ketaconzole is indicated for use only twice a week.

T/Sal Maximum Strength Shampoo contains 3% Salicylic Acid, primes the scalp for effective keratolitic therapy. As a first line treatment it reduces crusty scalp build – up with maximum Keratolitic Activity. So it is an ideal pretreatment for Ketoconazole and Co - therapy (Alternative days) with Tar Shampoos. Because it is fragrance free, colorant free and preservatives –free Shampoo, patients with sensitive scalps can drive the therapeutic benefits of Salicylic Acid without risk of irritation due to undesirable additives.

T/Sal Maximum Strength Shampoo is cosmetically elegant, with the conditioning shampoo base, which overcome the dryness and irritation that could accompany higher concentrations of Salicylic Acid. The result is effective therapy without having to sacrifice soft, manageable hair.

How to Use: 

Massage into wet scalp, leave on several minutes, rinse thoroughly and repeat.

Also this whole T/Gel - T/Sal thing is getting out of control !!!

In the US:
T/Sal shampoos have Salicylic Acid

In the UK:
T/Gel (for dry irritated scalp) has Salicylic Acid

Coal Tar = Amber/Brown Shampoo
Salicylic Acid = Clear Shampoo

I use UK T/Gel with Salicyclic Acid (like Prince formaly known as T/Sal) wash leave on for a few minutes, rinse lather in Nizoral leave on for a few minutes.

Ty

Because I don't think it does anything noticable.

Cassin

Reaction score
Axon said:
Because I don't think it does anything noticable.

What exactly do you consider noticable?

EDIT: Now if your looking for a stand alone, of course not. But when your using several products. All we want is stuff that helps.