The worst part about hairloss is the HELPLESSNESS

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
vipergts said:
SAF old pal - I would beg to differ on this one based on my personal experience. My scalp felt aweful on finasteride and shedding was on an all time high the 12-14 months I was on finasteride. My visible density also decreased greatly. When I stopped finasteride my scalp felt relieved and shedding went down, albeit only about 20 percent or so. Loss continues but at a slower rate. My only scientific guess would be that DHT is not the sole culprit as most medical sources claim. If it were then with finasteride or dutasteride would work for all, but the fact remains that they don't. I think T-Levels could have a major role to play in some cases. I think my hairloss may be due to T more so than DHT, and when finasteride increased my T-levels my hair loss increased. Who knows, what's right and what's wrong in hairloss, I just decided to use my common sense and stopped taking finasteride. I now resort to using dozens of topicals every day/week but am getting no results ( ie loss continues). Oh well, after this is all over I won't have any guilt...I gave it everything.

s.a.f said:
No, give me 1 possible scientific reason how it could?
Like someone posted earlier if you have cancer and the treatment does'nt work (cure you) it does'nt mean that its made it worse. :roll:
Viper, I am with you on you thoughts about finasteride. I thinks its ironic how I had very early signs of thinning and start taking Propecia in hopes of at least maintaining. Six to Eight months later my hair changes density ALL over and feels thinner than when I first started the drug. How can hair loss accelerate on a drug that supposedly works best on someone with early signs of thinning. Even if lets say, I did not respond to it, how come all of sudden my hair accelerates and changes that much in such a short period of time. I still believe that somehow Propecia makes your androgen receptors of the hair follicle ultra sensitive to DHT. Mine obviously were not hypersensitive to DHT but after 6-8 months on Propecia they became it. So now when my follicles are exposed to some levels of DHT they react differently and trigger my hair to thin more rapidly than before I started. I am not saying this happens for everyone. However, I think for Viper and myself it did happen. As I mentioned before, I know a poster one of the other forums that experienced the same thing and when he stopped Propecia, he got better and his hair started to grow in thicker again. That seems really strange.

zb00st

Established Member
Reaction score
SE-Freak this could be in theory but not the real life. Finasteride is far from the magic pill that will work for 99% of the people. Everyone's body respond and balances different from the effect of the pill. I think it can accelerate things for some months ahead, eventually the person will get the same state without the meds, but not that fast. As I say in my case I still don't know, maybe I need to be more patient it could work, it could take time. My advice - be patient so thats why I believe it does something out there, things have to get worse before they got better as someone said on that board.

SE-freak

Reaction score
I will not back up finasteride as the ultimate hairloss treatment, nor will I doubt the weight of your personal experiences. I simply cannot understand the logic behind this if it is anything else than your male pattern baldness progressing. I guess we are so much different that each and every one of us becomes his own personal experiment.