Thediffuser's Story - ( 30 / finasteride only - 20 months update )

floatingfm

Reaction score
Greetings hairlosstalk, long time lurker here just decided to chip in with my boring hair loss story. Hoping for advice/comments/constructive critism/funny insults if you can muster them.

So here is the gist of my story...

Started to notice it at around 24ish (noticed a considerable amount of hair stuck on my fingers when applying gel). I remember the exact moment when I freaked out about it, I was at work and went at the bathroom. Noticed a thin area just behind my hairline and had this crazy feeling of panic while consulting the mighty mirror.

Went to see a dermatologist about it hoping she'd prescribe some Propecia but wasn't too insistent about it (in retrospect I have absolutely no idea why I just didn't ask for it in the first place). She told me to use T-Gel twice a week.

I then started to obsess about it. When I reached 26 I started a long lasting relationship with a girl with whom I thought was going to go somewhere. As my hair degraded progressively I asked her what she thought about medications to possibly keep my hair and exposed the possible side effects. She basically refused outright.

Fast forward 3 and a half years later, a chain of event in my life (mostly unrelated to my hair) made me a bland man (and boyfriend) which basically drove my girl away from me.

Broke up in January 2010, three months later I was living elsewhere and the rest is pretty easy to figure out. Started freaking out about my hair again.

Here's the technical aspect:

I've been thinning for over 6 years and pretty much reached the point where styling my hair is a pain. I had a haircut this week which drove me to buzz my hair to a 4 because I wasn't satisfied with the results when I looked back in the mirror. Mind you I've accepted the fact that I'm a pretty hard guy to please and most of my friends/family are telling me that my hair loss is pretty much unnoticeable... but my hair still bothers me a ton.

My father is a 5A/6 and I never knew my grandfathers though I think most of my uncles on my father's side suffered hair loss at some point in time. My mother has no brothers.

As you'll be able to see later, I have curly hair. Most seem to think it's an advantage but I just find it makes my head look messier. I do have the advantage of having relatively dense hair so the thinning process is that much longer (it's also making me consider hair transplant in a future point in time).

As for the treatment, I started on Propecia in the beginning of May 2010 so I'm basically right in the middle of month #4. I added nizoral just about 2 months in and MSM at around the same time. As for MSM I'm needing it anyway as it helps me working out so that's basically a bonus if it does anything at all.

I'm very skeptical about minoxidil and my level of confidence on my habits regarding it as it's a pretty big commitment but still had a few questions :
1. I understand that you pretty much have to apply it for the rest of your life, but is the hair grown by minoxidil will be maintained by finasteride or is the residual DHT level to much for it to be kept alive only on finasteride?
2. I see a lot of people using foam AND liquid, what's the reasoning behind it?

So that's basically it, starting now I will update near the first of every month with a few pictures until I die, the internet explodes or if I think the fight is pretty much lost or won (if I win I might update here and there to let you guys know where I'm at)

Looking forward to be moved to success stories eventually ;)

floatingfm

Reaction score
Re: Story of thediffuser 29 (pics to be added soon)

As promised :

I've included pictures from 2 and 3 months in on finasteride.

There's also the best picture of me that could demonstrate what the top of my head looked like 5 years ago.

Two things about it:
1. I'm sorry I only have my trusted cell phone available to take pictures.
2. I'm also sorry for the difference in lighting and quality... as this thread goes on I'm assuming I'll be able to find a method to take these pictures so that it'll be standardized.

I must add that all the picture I took from myself where from wet hair. I'll try to diversify in the future.

My hair will be buzzed on the september update.

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMAG0174.jpg
    IMAG0174.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 295
  • IMAG0175.jpg
    IMAG0175.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 314
  • IMAG0157.jpg
    IMAG0157.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 319
  • DSCN2738.jpg
    DSCN2738.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 318

hair_fighter

Reaction score
Re: Thediffuser's Story - ( 29 / now with pics)

hey welcome to HairLossTalk.com. my hairloss is similar to you except that i have a straight
hair. i started takin finasteride 1mg from may 2010 and nizoral from the last month . as you also started finasteride in may i want to ask u some questions

1. is there any shedding during these 3 1/2 months if yes at what month u experienced shedding after starting finasteride?

2. are u losin any hairs from front or scalp ? are the hairs that are fallin are thick and short or thin and weak?

3. did u see any improvement even the slightest considering density, hair color, thickness etc

thanks

floatingfm

Reaction score

hair_fighter said:
1. is there any shedding during these 3 1/2 months if yes at what month u experienced shedding after starting finasteride?

I honestly did not notice any increase in shedding. To my knowledge, hair loss just progressed as normal. Maybe a little faster since I've been totally freaked out recently about it. I did notice I was losing more hair from all over my head and not just my usual thinning area.

hair_fighter said:
2. are u losin any hairs from front or scalp ? are the hairs that are fallin are thick and short or thin and weak?

Most hair I lose are from the front. Occasionally I lose clearly miniaturized hair but for the most part it's hair that grew for about 2 inches maybe and then fell off. As I understand it, such behavior is due to the thinning process witch shortens down the anagen phase. The other theory would be that it's due a finasteride shed but there's no way I can actually know.

hair_fighter said:
3. did u see any improvement even the slightest considering density, hair color, thickness etc

I had a friend who's completely oblivious about my situation who told me my hair looked darker... Whether that be from the new shampoo I was using at that time or that Propecia is actually making a difference isn't clear to me.

I gather that my loss will be that much harder to track because I buzzed my hair down so I obviously won't be seeing as much hair falling out so we'll just have to judge from the pictures...

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

floatingfm

Reaction score

Well I haven't been as consistent as I would've liked but I have met the most gorgeous girl I have ever seen in person that I remember last Wednesday so I came back in the self conscious pit of depression and paranoia and finally took some pictures.

Anyways, after month 6 :

Attachments

• IMAG0003.jpg
    IMAG0003.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 306
  • IMAG0004.jpg
    IMAG0004.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 364

floatingfm

Reaction score

Fast forward a month and a half later. As you can see, my right temple has gone to :puke:

Haven't seen any huge difference other than to fact that I seem to be losing less hair in the shower. Most of the hair I lose is pretty much still falling from my balding spot. Crossing my finger that it's the miniaturizing process reverting itself but I'm obviously not betting my left nut on that.

So that's it, I'm currently 7 and a half months into treatment. Still have hope...

Attachments

• IMAG0090.jpg
    IMAG0090.jpg
    502.4 KB · Views: 292
  • IMAG0078.jpg
    IMAG0078.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 254
  • IMAG0096.jpg
    IMAG0096.jpg
    529.4 KB · Views: 247
  • IMAG0095.jpg
    IMAG0095.jpg
    541.2 KB · Views: 271

floatingfm

Reaction score

Also adding the fact that I'm considering stopping Nizoral altogether. Makes my head itch like crazy.

So yeah, that's pretty much it. finasteride and MSM only.

floatingfm

Reaction score

8.5 months. I don't quite know what to make of these. Not sure if it's the lighting or the fact that I cut my hair way short lately but my hair really does seem to improve. But then again maybe it's just me...

Attachments

• IMAG0112.jpg
    IMAG0112.jpg
    458.6 KB · Views: 305
  • IMAG0113.jpg
    IMAG0113.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 268

PileOn

Established Member
Reaction score

can you lift your hair up or style it like the picture in "finasteride 2 months"?

floatingfm

Reaction score

PileOn said:
can you lift your hair up or style it like the picture in "finasteride 2 months"?

The thing is I style it somewhat the same except my hair is way way shorter now than it was then. Best thing I could do is take one with my hair wet and even then it wouldn't be the same...

Also I don't plan on letting it grow that long ever again.

floatingfm

Reaction score

Well, here I am almost 10 months in. This month hasn't been easy. Itching came back with a vengeance (I tend to gauge if things are going well or not by monitoring that). Anyways I have the feeling I've regressed somewhat, hoping this is just a shed.

Attachments

• IMAG0167.jpg
    IMAG0167.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 243
  • IMAG0168.jpg
    IMAG0168.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 220
  • IMAG0174.jpg
    IMAG0174.jpg
    374.6 KB · Views: 216
  • IMAG0190.jpg
    IMAG0190.jpg
    411.9 KB · Views: 240

floatingfm

Reaction score

finfighter said:
I think it looks pretty good, you should add Rogaine Foam, I think you would experience some regrowth with it. You should also try a concealer like Toppik, it is an amazing product!

Thanks for the input!

I was thinking about Toppik for some time and I'll probably look into that in the near future.

As for Rogain, correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the results expected from it super temporary?

Here's my take on things :
I'm in this for the long haul. Since a lot of guys have been known to maintain on finasteride for a really long time, I kinda decided to try my luck with it and assess the situation after 2 years time and from there, look into a transplant if need be.

I'm sort of under the impression that Rogain might help for a few years but also might fool me into thinking that I'm making tons of progress that's just gonna be fluff down the line. Feel free to enlighten me ;)

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score

I think you should add some toppik for now. It's a great confidence booster if your hair is kinda see-through.

Definitely add minoxidil, probably rogaine foam. You'll probably see some regrowth and will stop using the toppik.

floatingfm

Reaction score

11 months in.

Things are not looking all that good I fear. I've kinda noticed a pattern in which my head itches much less when I go get a haircut but it worsens more and more as the hair grows.

Right temporal area definitely going bad and I've been shedding like a banshee compared to say 1 month or 2 ago...

I'm not considering rogain as of yet. My initial plan was to wait between a year and a year and a half (whenever I panic) to consider it.

See y'all in a month!

Attachments

• IMAG0091.jpg
    IMAG0091.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 255
  • IMAG0092.jpg
    IMAG0092.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 237

floatingfm

Reaction score

Well folks, I started finasteride exactly a year ago last Sunday. So here's my year in review.

How am I doing? Very well actually. I still have bad hair days mind you and I don't think that'll ever stop. I'm still very constantly aware of the lighting and where I should sit at restaurant, stuff like that. I'm not obsessing about it as much as I used to though.

I've been training a lot for the past year, had my ups and downs but it really helps me a lot with confidence and keeping a good morale. So for anyone reading this and having confidence issues, find something to do that makes you feel better about yourself, get good at it and then get better at it. The closer you get to your goals, the more you'll shine. The rest should follow.

As for the hair. Overall I would say that it slightly improved. Not a whole lot, but enough to give me some hope of maintaining what I have for a long time. Friends aren't noticing. People aren't looking at it. I pretty much dropped the issue with the people I used to talk about it with and it kinda stayed dead.

The itching comes and goes but it definitely improved compared to May 2010. For those interested, I did not notice any major shed that made me freak out. At times I did notice that more hair fell out when I showered but I honestly can't associate that to shedding. Either that or I'm completely oblivious to it ;)

My plan pretty much remains the same. Wait another 6 months and reassert the situation. I will then decide if I should add minoxidil or not.

I can't really think of anything else to add for now but if you have questions, feel free to ask them.

Attachments

• IMAG0129.jpg
    IMAG0129.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 240

floatingfm

Reaction score
Re: Thediffuser's Story - ( 30 / with pics - 1 year update )

13 Months!

I feel this shot is a little treacherous because my hair is super curly come summer time. I'd have to cut it short again.

I can't really discuss on my progress because I've been soooo stressed out because of work. When I get stressed I tend to just play with my hair all the time which makes me notice the hair that falls out way more than I should.

I still see some miniaturized hair falling. I'm guessing it's kind of normal at this stage.

Attachments

• IMAG0144.jpg
    IMAG0144.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 254

floatingfm

Reaction score
Re: Thediffuser's Story - ( 30 / finasteride only - 14.5 months update )

14.5 months in. I just want to issue a global "wtf" concerning my progress.

About say a month ago, it looked like I completely stopped losing hair. Whenever I was in the shower, I counted like 5 hairs on my hand after shampooing. 2 or 3 hairs on the comb after using it. Life was good and I was all like "hell yeah!". I downright had trouble pulling hair out of my head with my fingers...

Fast forward to like 2 weeks ago, shedding like a banshee! Losing hair primarily from where I'm balding. Counting about 20 hairs every time I shampoo!

Has _anybody_ experienced this kind of shedding 15 months into treatment??

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMAG0161.jpg
    IMAG0161.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 231
  • IMAG0171.jpg
    IMAG0171.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 260

ogdan

Reaction score

Is it just me or did you totally improve your hairline and reverse your temple recession?

floatingfm

Reaction score
lol Might be an illusion. I did notice it through these pictures though so I don't know.

I'll try posting some more pictures in the next few weeks. It might shed some light on this issue.

floatingfm

Reaction score

Hello! It's been a while!

For those keeping score, still no sides that I can think of. Itching comes and goes but I don't even remember what it was like when I started finasteride in the first place.

I still have the feeling that my situation is somewhat improving though there are tougher days. I still lose miniaturized hair which is starting to be a concern of mine.

On the weightlifting front, I'm gaining weight so yes it's possible. I'm nowhere near my goals but I'm getting there.

Attachments

• IMAG0334.jpg
    IMAG0334.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 242
  • IMAG0333.jpg
    IMAG0333.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 223