Thinking I should drop Fincar. Questions about spironolactone.

Sir Guy of Frizzbourne

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been taking Fincar for about 1.5-2 months now. After about 2 weeks of being on this treatment, I've had sides that many are saying can be permanent. I'm starting to think if I ever meet someone and want to be close, I will realize that these sides are nowhere near worth a full head of hair, even though my hair is all I seem to care about now. I hate to give up completely and will be sticking with rogaine and nizoral (the foam seems to be causing much less irritation than the liquid and no flaking, which may have been hurting my results before). Minoxidil seems to do a little bit, but I was really looking forward to some serious results with finasteride, since so many have had such great success with it.
Anyways, on to my questions.
1. Has spironolactone been tested and is it safe?
2. Which is safer: oral or topical? I was thinking a topical DHT blocker might be safer since it might focus more on the DHT in my scalp and less in my nuts.
3. Has it even been proven to work? Anyone know for sure it's working for them?
4. Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what would work well? What about this Revita stuff? Sounds like a fancier Nizoral, but not too promising too me, but if anyone has had any success with it or something else, I would be very grateful for your input. Thanks.

JohnnySeville

Established Member
Reaction score
I too had some problems with finasteride. I have recently changed over to topicals so as to avoid systematic sides. The best 1-2 punch on DHT would be using both Revivogen and 5% spironolactone. Some guys have made the changeover sucessfully, hopefully I can too.

RadioRaheem

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Topical spironolactone has been proven to work. There are some studies on it. But spironolactone is nowhere near as close to being as popular as finasteride and minoxidil, so you dont hear much about it. I've been having success with my regimen thus far. And I've only been using spironolactone for a month and a half. minoxidil for 2 months and a half (I was using the liquid for 1 month, then switched to the foam). As far as Revita, it's a very very new product. It's going to take at least 6 to 12 months after its release to hear successes about it. It does sound good though, but I'm not sure if it would be as powerful as Nizoral 2%.

Oh, and dont mess with ORAL spironolactone, that has just as many sides, if not more, than using finasteride. So stay clear away from that, especially if you are gettin sides from finasteride.... Topical spironolactone is completely safe though.

Sir Guy of Frizzbourne

Established Member
Reaction score
Where would you guy's recommend getting spironolactone? I thought Revivogen was just another one of those saw palmetto compounds with a shampoo to go with it. I was using pr0cerIn for about 6-7 months before and am still using Nioxin shampoo which claims to block DHT. Isn't that roughly the same as using Revivogen? Also, do you guys avoid shampoos with sodium laurel sulfate in them? I've heard that's not great for hair, yet it's in most shampoos, including Nioxin. I guess my biggest question though is just where to get spironolactone.

Optimist

Established Member
Reaction score
Can't answer your main question, but I tried revivogen and I think it is worthless. Also, I am pretty sure pr0cerIn is a scam. Heard good things about spironolactone though.

JohnnySeville

Established Member
Reaction score
Sir Guy of Frizzbourne said:
Where would you guy's recommend getting spironolactone? I thought Revivogen was just another one of those saw palmetto compounds with a shampoo to go with it. I was using pr0cerIn for about 6-7 months before and am still using Nioxin shampoo which claims to block DHT. Isn't that roughly the same as using Revivogen? Also, do you guys avoid shampoos with sodium laurel sulfate in them? I've heard that's not great for hair, yet it's in most shampoos, including Nioxin. I guess my biggest question though is just where to get spironolactone.

Revivogen's benefits stem from the inclusion of free fatty acids(GLA & ALA), these have been shown to have a substantial impact on DHT in clinical trials. Topical spironolactone has been shown to be effective also on the receptor, using both can be complementary.

A good source of spironolactone is Genhair.com, I have been using it for a few weeks and find it easy to apply, non greasy and no odors, it may be the best version on the market.

Sir Guy of Frizzbourne

Established Member
Reaction score
Looks cheaper to go with Dr. Lee's spironolactone, at least after the first purchase. Do you feel this spironolactone from genhair has been effective?
How's coming off finasteride going for you?

Sir Guy of Frizzbourne

Established Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, and the Dr. Lee version is apparently 5%, whereas genhair is 2%. His webpage looks a liitle unprofessional, but he seems to be well known.

JohnnySeville

Established Member
Reaction score
Looks cheaper to go with Dr. Lee's spironolactone, at least after the first purchase. Do you feel this spironolactone from genhair has been effective?

Genhair also has a 5% spironolactone, which is the one I use. It has Retin-A and Caffeine, which Dr. Lee's does not have. Cost is the same as Lee's, $30 per jar. I have been using it for a few weeks since I dropped finasteride, so far no complaints or hair loss, too early to tell.

One other fact, if you order from Lee you have to get a consultation by mail for an extra $20, this is not needed with Genhair.

beaner

Reaction score
johnnyseville said:

Genhair also has a 5% spironolactone, which is the one I use. It has Retin-A and Caffeine, which Dr. Lee's does not have. Cost is the same as Lee's, $30 per jar. I have been using it for a few weeks since I dropped finasteride, so far no complaints or hair loss, too early to tell.

One other fact, if you order from Lee you have to get a consultation by mail for an extra $20, this is not needed with Genhair.

Just a small correction..the Genhair spironolactone does not contain Retin-A, it contains retinol which is not the same thing and from my understanding does nothing for male pattern baldness.

Jm0311

Reaction score
anyone get good results with spironolactone? as in maintaining the temples? or would it be better to get a topical finasteride?

IBM

Reaction score
I think 50 mg of oral spironolactone could give you good results. It's very low dosage.

JohnnySeville

Established Member
Reaction score
beaner said:
johnnyseville said:

Just a small correction..the Genhair spironolactone does not contain Retin-A, it contains retinol which is not the same thing and from my understanding does nothing for male pattern baldness.

Actually it does contain Retin-A. Reading directly off the jar:

0.025% Retinoic Acid (0.25mg Retin-A/ml)....this is the standard amount used to complement minoxidil in just about all formulations and studies

BTW... Caffeine 1%

beaner

Reaction score
johnnyseville said:
beaner said:
johnnyseville said:

0.025% Retinoic Acid (0.25mg Retin-A/ml)....this is the standard amount used to complement minoxidil in just about all formulations and studies

BTW... Caffeine 1%

I stand corrected...it does list retinol as the ingredient on their website though. Speaking of their website, they seem to have revamped all of their products bottles. They look pretty cool although I see they now give you 40 ml less of everything.

Jm0311

Reaction score
thats fuckin gay. y less?

so does anyone think that using revivogen and spironolactone would be a successful regime instead of finasteride?

Sir Guy of Frizzbourne

Established Member
Reaction score
Would it make since to take between .5 and 1mg of finasteride every few days or every week? How long does it take for DHT levels to return to normal. Someone was saying something like 30 days. If that's true at all, taking any dose per day would be incredibly excessive. If the dose is taken too infrequently though, would that just cause one to shed a lot?

RadioRaheem

Established Member
Reaction score
johnnyseville said:

BTW... Caffeine 1%

Yup. And according to their website, it also contains Rosemary oil (for some reason though they forgot to list this on the label of their spironolactone). But it's on their website though.

@ Jm0311

It's very possible that Topical spironolactone + Revivogen could give you the same effect as finasteride. It's a good alternative, but I can't say it would just as powerful as finasteride (it's only a possibility, and it's relative to individuals). You really have to try it out for yourself and see if it works. If you are only looking to improve your temples, I'd say just stick with spironolactone, minoxidil Foam, and Nizoral. And if things dont improve by 6 months or so, then add Revivogen and see how far you get in another 6 months.