To Rock a Tattoo--Yea or Nay?

Aplunk1

Reaction score
I've always been against tattoos, but lately I've realized one tattoo that truly fits me. Something that kind of defines me as a person and reflects me as a person.

I admit--part of me wants the attention, but the other part of me wants a conversation-starter and a memento of my youthful self.

I think my tattoo would be no larger than 6x3 on my left arm... Thoughts?

BTW, how is tattoo removal nowadays? Should I hate it a few years from now, would I be able to have it nearly completely removed?

oni

Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:
I've always been against tattoos, but lately I've realized one tattoo that truly fits me. Something that kind of defines me as a person and reflects me as a person.

I admit--part of me wants the attention, but the other part of me wants a conversation-starter and a memento of my youthful self.

I think my tattoo would be no larger than 6x3 on my left arm... Thoughts?

BTW, how is tattoo removal nowadays? Should I hate it a few years from now, would I be able to have it nearly completely removed?

Do you need a tattoo to define you as a person?.............................so what happens when you get older and your personality changes, are you going to get another?

Give it 10 years and your "conversation-starter" will be the fact you do not have a tattoo like most people in your age group do............. :whistle:

Go get some nice scars doing something interesting.........................a better memento than your days spent in a tattoo parlor!

s.a.f

Reaction score
Look at all those people who got the tribal arm bands in the 90's. Like they dont look dated these days. :woot:
Same with the tramp stamps, all the rage 2/3 yrs ago but I dont see any women getting them now.
As for tattoo removal you're just (painfully) swapping the offensive tat for a disfiguring blob of scar tissue.

oni

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Look at all those people who got the tribal arm bands in the 90's. Like they dont look dated these days. :woot:
Same with the tramp stamps, all the rage 2/3 yrs ago but I dont see any women getting them now.
As for tattoo removal you're just (painfully) swapping the offensive tat for a disfiguring blob of scar tissue.

:agree:

Cassin

Reaction score
Oni makes some good points. Body modification is ridiculous and trendy.

Scars are interesting. I have a few...some from dumb stuff...some with cool stories. As a matter of fact I was thinking about that last night as I was looking at a new scar across my calf...I got it from training my new "rescue dog" who was in a particularly hyper mode one day and the thin part of the leash got quickly dragged across creating a burned 6 inch scar from a flexi leash.

B001LFWIH6.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS450_.jpg

Nothing ground breaking but it leads into the story of my dog...

Aplunk1 said:

If you're already thinking about the removal you shouldn't get one IMO.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Body art is fine.. I am rocking a tattoo on my neck. It is your skin and life! You start with one but you always want more after.. It is an addiction.. Add some character I guess..

cuebald

Reaction score
plus the "compensation" jokes will fly... :punk:

people say they get tats to become "unique" then they all get the same thing... tribal, chinese chars, nature scenes, names of lovers.

I myself am going to get the molecule for DHT tattooed right across my chest, with the genetic code for male pattern baldness placed on my stomach area.

oni

Reaction score
squeegee said:
Body art is fine.. I am rocking a tattoo on my neck. It is your skin and life! You start with one but you always want more after.. It is an addiction.. Add some character I guess..

What is this tattoo?

Nene

Reaction score
I agree that the tramp stamps and tribal symbols were stupid. I have a tatto I've had since I was 19 and I don't regret it b/c it wasn't some trendy symbol, it's the same tattoo my father has and it has religious meaning. I'll never regret it, I also might get one more, I've been thinking about it for about 5 years, I'll probably do it one day. Think long and hard and if it's something you really want then do it and screw what people think.

Boondock

Reaction score
I've always wanted an Asian tattoo on my back which says, in Japanese, 'Choose From the Following List of Tattoos'

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
lol i would learn kanji or at least learn how the tattoo would look before getting an Asian one i remember reading a news story where this guy was a dick to his tattoo artist so the artist wrote something like "f*****g c***" on his arm and the guy didn't know what the tattoo said and it was only when some Chinese people actually told him that he realised his tattoo artist pwnd him

Cassin

Reaction score
Boondock said:
I've always wanted an Asian tattoo on my back which says, in Japanese, 'Choose From the Following List of Tattoos'

LOL

And the funny thing is it works both ways...the Japanese mangle English pretty bad too. I have family from Japan...English on shirts is trendy just like it is here to have something "Asian". Like this pic I saw this weekend...the shirt was supposed to say "living the good life" and it said "awake like well life"

oni

Reaction score
I saw a girl working in KFC, with a tattoo that said "Mum & dad", on the back of her neck. It was just pure class, how I envied her................................... :whistle:

I did check her knuckles for the "LOVE" and "HATE" tattoo........... :whistle:

The Gardener

Reaction score
somone uk said:
lol i would learn kanji or at least learn how the tattoo would look before getting an Asian one i remember reading a news story where this guy was a dick to his tattoo artist so the artist wrote something like "f****ing c**t" on his arm and the guy didn't know what the tattoo said and it was only when some Chinese people actually told him that he realised his tattoo artist pwnd him
That reminds me of an embarassing experience I had on a business trip in Japan. On an off day, my hosts took me golfing and after I hit an absolutely horrid shot that landed in the adjacent fairway, they all laughed and said something like "machigate anna". I asked them what that meant because the woman I was with the previous night said the same thing. They said "wrong hole".

Boondock

Reaction score
Cassin said:
Boondock said:

LOL

And the funny thing is it works both ways...the Japanese mangle English pretty bad too. I have family from Japan...English on shirts is trendy just like it is here to have something "Asian". Like this pic I saw this weekend...the shirt was supposed to say "living the good life" and it said "awake like well life"

I love screwed up Asian English.

In the Beijing hotel I was in last week, the shower had a 'don't slip' image which underneath read "Be Careful Landslide"

HughJass

Reaction score
oni said:
I saw a girl working in KFC, with a tattoo that said "Mum & dad", on the back of her neck. It was just pure class,

that's unusual........KFC usually only employ the best of the best

oni

Reaction score
aussieavodart said:
oni said:
I saw a girl working in KFC, with a tattoo that said "Mum & dad", on the back of her neck. It was just pure class,

that's unusual........KFC usually only employ the best of the best

Well this one was on work experience from the local sinkhole estate............... :whistle: