to the people who got a hair transplant in their 20's

Petchsky

Reaction score
Pure and simple, i worked hard and saved the cash, took the best part 14 months, but i have no mortgage and no other responsibilities. Robbing a petrol station is the quick way.

s.a.f

Reaction score
How do you get the money to buy a car in your 20's - simple just work and save if you want it badly enough you'll get it easily.

Devender

Established Member
Reaction score
veritasvosliberabit said:
How did you guys get the money to get hair transplant in a quick way.
Earned it the hard way, saved it and spent it cautiously and wisely. :)

Norsk

Established Member
Reaction score
I could have several if I wanted to. Saved up money by not having a life and living with my parents for a while. Also got about 25-30K from inheritance/gifts.

CCS

Reaction score
I worked 70 hours per week in a factory one summer, saving $6000. Worked 20-30 hours per week while in school, saving that too.

I don't eat out with friends or women. I don't go to bars. I don't buy CDs. I wrote a bicycle everywhere. Accepted old clothes from my friends instead of buying new ones. At rice, and whatever vegetables or frozen fruit juice was on sale. My grocery store often has gallons of milk on sale for $1.88, and I would stock up.

And a big one: I have roommates to split the rent. Even shared a bedroom with a roommate for 3 years. I bought my textbooks off ebay for half or 1/3 the price. I drink tap water, not soda.

While my roommates through parties and invited women over on Friday and Saturday night, I put in ear plugs and went to sleep so I'd be ready for my 6am job on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

If you want the hair, you can get it, even on $7 per hour. And you can do it in a year. Just don't smoke or have kids or have a life, and you can do it.

Here is the trade off: for $1000, you can take a woman out to a pretty nice restaurant, and after tip and tax pay $40, and do that every week for 6 months. Or you can save it and $9000 more dollars and put that towards grafts. Get a second job if you have to. Skip the dinners.
Take the easy road now with your friends, or save and work hard for a year or two and get the hair.

CCS

Reaction score
Living with your parents makes it super easy to save. I bet they won't even charge you rent as long as you are working 70 hours per week. They would be proud of you. Now if you sit around playing video games, they start charging rent.

Jm0311

Reaction score
is it even wise to have a hair transplant while you are younger? wouldnt it look weird as you progess male pattern baldness?

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
CCS said:
Here is the trade off: for $1000, you can take a woman out to a pretty nice restaurant, and after tip and tax pay $40, and do that every week for 6 months.

You have to clue me in on where you can get a meal for 2 people for this price. I doubt you could pull this off at Applebees unless you drank water and let a 75 cent tip, lol

Eureka

Established Member
Reaction score
is it even wise to have a hair transplant while you are younger? wouldnt it look weird as you progess male pattern baldness?

Depends on how far you've progressed, Whether or not your on finasteride and how well you respond to it and the aggressiveness of your particular case of male pattern baldness. If your in your 20's and already an nw5 a Good hair transplant surgeon can probably work with you, but if you only an nw2 then it's entirely different.

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Eureka said:
Depends on how far you've progressed, If your in your 20's and already an nw5 a Good hair transplant surgeon can probably work with you,

Now that's funny. CAn the hair transplant surgeon create hair because if you are Norwood 5 in your 20's you are headed for a Norwood 7 and there is not enough donor hair to restore a Norwood 7.

hair transplant's before age 40 are very risky. I have had a total of 2K grafts (first hair transplant age 31) and I still worry about running out of donor hair someday ( age 40 now) because hair loss is not predictable and drugs don't work forever.

Good luck to the 25 year olds packing 3-4K grafts in

Eureka

Established Member
Reaction score
Now that's funny. CAn the hair transplant surgeon create hair because if you are Norwood 5 in your 20's you are headed for a Norwood 7 and there is not enough donor hair to restore a Norwood 7.

Most hair transplant surgeons wish to wait and see how far your particular case of hairloss is going to progress. So if you have a fairly advanced case at a young age then there isn't much of a debate on where it is heading.

That doesn't change the fact that you would still need to stop the progression, but most hair transplant surgeons are less wary of working on an nw3-5 if they can stop the progression rather then a 1-3. Most people with hairloss at a level of nw3-5 have more realistic expectations.

As far as risky before 40.. True in some cases. But with FUE.. You really don't have to worry about running out of donor hair. At least not to the degree that you would if you've had strip. Telling someone who is experiencing hairloss in their 20's to wait until 40 is a ridiculous expectation and it's unrealistic. Vanity serves you much better when your young.

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Eureka said:
As far as risky before 40.. True in some cases. But with FUE.. You really don't have to worry about running out of donor hair. At least not to the degree that you would if you've had strip. Telling someone who is experiencing hairloss in their 20's to wait until 40 is a ridiculous expectation and it's unrealistic. Vanity serves you much better when your young.

First. let me guess you are young and want a hair transplant

Fue leaves out the strip scar but you could run into problems if you pack hair in the frontal 2/3 and run out of donor as unless you shave your head to a #0 you will look quite foolish with a dense packed front and nothing behind it leading up to a horseshoe pattern

ITNEVERRAINS

Established Member
Reaction score
I saved money by working two jobs, lived at home. 5k grafts, NW1.5 now. My "social" friends have no idea and all have complimented my hair as I keep it pretty rock.

I disagree on this wait until 40 crap. nonsense. the word "donor" needs to be redefined for this procedure. too many alternatives these days. I saw Dr. Umar do 5000 Beard and 5000 body grafts on a guy and it looked awesome. Lets say worst case you hit the NW6-7 mark and you need 20K in grafts by 40. even a NW7 could get 3-5k from FUT/FUE. Another 10-15K from BHT and that 7 becomes a 2.5 with quickness. Now that in all reality is 60k, but there is an option. You have to be knowledgeable to the fact this may be what is needed should you hair transplant early. Futhermore I'd roll dice and say in 20 years there will be better alternatives (HM) than today, not that its a huge bet with the options currently present. But too much $$ in this game not to progress procedure.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Also, being 28 when getting mine done, it is a concern but, the way i see it is that the big 3 has maintained my hair for coming on 7 years now without it getting worse, and proscar blocks near 80% of DHT, i just don't see how my hair would get worse all of a sudden and lose loads of hair... i understand i could lose hair, but it would be very slow process.

I don't want to wait till i'm 40! and at the same time i've not exactly rushed into it either at 28. I think as long as you have stabilized your loss with the meds then it's a pretty safe bet your hair is going to still be on your head when you wake up every morning

Norsk

Established Member
Reaction score
ITNEVERRAINS said:
I saved money by working two jobs, lived at home. 5k grafts, NW1.5 now. My "social" friends have no idea and all have complimented my hair as I keep it pretty rock.

I disagree on this wait until 40 crap. nonsense. the word "donor" needs to be redefined for this procedure. too many alternatives these days. I saw Dr. Umar do 5000 Beard and 5000 body grafts on a guy and it looked awesome. Lets say worst case you hit the NW6-7 mark and you need 20K in grafts by 40. even a NW7 could get 3-5k from FUT/FUE. Another 10-15K from BHT and that 7 becomes a 2.5 with quickness. Now that in all reality is 60k, but there is an option. You have to be knowledgeable to the fact this may be what is needed should you hair transplant early. Futhermore I'd roll dice and say in 20 years there will be better alternatives (HM) than today, not that its a huge bet with the options currently present. But too much $$ in this game not to progress procedure.

So you consider this to be restorable? I'm likely to end up like this, since it's my father:

f_front.jpg

f_profile.jpg

f_back.jpg

Also, not every bald guy has a hairy body, and the body hair won't match the head hair in many cases, so I'm skeptical of the BHT idea.

Eureka

Established Member
Reaction score
First. let me guess you are young and want a hair transplant

Fue leaves out the strip scar but you could run into problems if you pack hair in the frontal 2/3 and run out of donor as unless you shave your head to a #0 you will look quite foolish with a dense packed front and nothing behind it leading up to a horseshoe pattern

Right and right, I realize that's pretty transparent since I am biased.

But I don't see age restrictions as existing "if" you respond to finasteride.

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ITNEVERRAINS said:

Your post is comical. fist no way is a Norwood 7 getting 5-7 K form FUE and FUT when the average person only has 6K to begin with

BHT is still very new and does not give anywhere near the density as a strip procedure for the very few people it works on

Hair multiplication has been "around the corner" for about 20 years

I could go on and on but all I can say is good luck

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Petchsky said:
I don't want to wait till i'm 40! and at the same time i've not exactly rushed into it either at 28. I think as long as you have stabilized your loss with the meds then it's a pretty safe bet your hair is going to still be on your head when you wake up every morning

I never said you had to wait until you were 40 just that is was safer. Most people will tell you Propecia only works for about 10-15 years and much less for some guys.