to the people who got a hair transplant in their 20's

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Norsk said:
Also, not every bald guy has a hairy body, and the body hair won't match the head hair in many cases, so I'm skeptical of the BHT idea.

As you should be, there are a couple decent BHT results floating around but I think if it worked as good as some would have you believe you would see many more BHT on the guys who were butchered in the 80's with plugs.

Oh, and Propecia REDUCES body hair so you would actually be fighting your body hair (that's now planted on your head) if you continue to use it. If you stop using Propecia you will lose more of the remainaing natural hair on your head so it's a catch 22.

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Here is a link to one of Dr Umar's prize patients. A 1000 percent improvement no doubt but I for one would not be happy with this guys hairline. Alos how many of the young guys today who are having hair transplant's are having their hairlines placed as high as this guys ? Not very ( NONE) many so you would have much more area behind the hairline to cover

Also this guy had 10,700 grafts so he paid close to 75 grand for just this portion of his hair transplant surgery.

http://dermhairclinic.com/dhc_galdetail.aspx?id=4

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I guess to sum up my thinking if you believe BHT, Propecia working forever and Hair multiplication are your Norwood 6- 7 bailouts I'd start drinking heavily.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Propecia never stops working per se, hairloss can catch you up, albeit at a much slower rate, but i understand what you mean and yes, in an ideal world i'd not get a H/T till i was 40 to play it safe.

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Petchsky said:
Propecia never stops working per se, hairloss can catch you up, albeit at a much slower rate,
Stops working was a bad choice of words. I guess it would have been better if I said you will begin to lose more hair again in th future.

Either way even if you have "controlled" you hair loss at the present time with Propecia there is no guarantee it will stay that way.

Eureka

Established Member
Reaction score
Either way even if you have "controlled" you hair loss at the present time with Propecia there is no guarantee it will stay that way

True but it's up to that person to weigh the risks and rewards. If hairloss has managed to screw your entire life up then an hair transplant may be one of only a few options. If your still confident and uncaring but would prefer hair yet you think you could still do well without it, Then you may want to play it safe.

Although as for finasteride's potency wearing off... I was under the impression switching from Propecia to dutasteride would resolve that issue.

Plus HM isn't a myth or some sort of pipe dream... It was around the corner 20 years ago because people were desperate and wanted to believe anything. I haven't done any research on the specifics of where the advancement of the technology was at that point in time. But I don't think they were in the midst of successful human trials 20 years ago. It's still years away, But I don't have much trouble with the realistic expectation of 10-15 years. Although I'll concede it's not something to pin your hopes on as for a solution to bailing you out of a quickly receding hairline and a densely packed hair transplant.

But it's exactly what I will pin my hopes on.

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Eureka said:
Although as for finasteride's potency wearing off... I was under the impression switching from Propecia to dutasteride would resolve that issue.

Plus HM isn't a myth or some sort of pipe dream... It was around the
But it's exactly what I will pin my hopes on.

Good luck waiting on HM is all I can say

Your impression of switching to dutasteride is false as it doesn't work for everyone and has some terrible sides much worse than Propecia

H/B

Established Member
Reaction score
John McCain was only a NW3 at 40 years old.

Devender

Established Member
Reaction score
Norsk said:
ITNEVERRAINS said:
I saved money by working two jobs, lived at home. 5k grafts, NW1.5 now. My "social" friends have no idea and all have complimented my hair as I keep it pretty rock.

I disagree on this wait until 40 crap. nonsense. the word "donor" needs to be redefined for this procedure. too many alternatives these days. I saw Dr. Umar do 5000 Beard and 5000 body grafts on a guy and it looked awesome. Lets say worst case you hit the NW6-7 mark and you need 20K in grafts by 40. even a NW7 could get 3-5k from FUT/FUE. Another 10-15K from BHT and that 7 becomes a 2.5 with quickness. Now that in all reality is 60k, but there is an option. You have to be knowledgeable to the fact this may be what is needed should you hair transplant early. Futhermore I'd roll dice and say in 20 years there will be better alternatives (HM) than today, not that its a huge bet with the options currently present. But too much $$ in this game not to progress procedure.

So you consider this to be restorable? I'm likely to end up like this, since it's my father:

f_front.jpg

f_profile.jpg

f_back.jpg

Also, not every bald guy has a hairy body, and the body hair won't match the head hair in many cases, so I'm skeptical of the BHT idea.

You have a good point. My family has people near that hairloss level. That is why I played cautious in my first hair transplant. One should go for fue from the head and beard. Beard hair is also not affected by finasteride the way other body hair are. Follow a conservative approach.
If I do end up in a Norwood 7 stage, I can still shave it all off and lokk as if nothing ever happened. This wouldnt be possible with strip.

For those that think hair transplant is good only for people above 40, I have nothing to say. Except, not having hair when it matters sucks is all I can say.

Devender

Established Member
Reaction score
Eureka said:
Telling someone who is experiencing hairloss in their 20's to wait until 40 is a ridiculous expectation and it's unrealistic. Vanity serves you much better when your young.

Couldnt have put it better.
If money and donor is not an issue, advanced hairloss can be corrected. Look these examples
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=47497
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=48099

I dont agree with the 40 year age barrier. I think its old folks being jealous because they already have a strip scar. :sleep: Think over it, if there is no strip scar, if I can buzz my hair if I become a Norwood 7, why should I not go for hair transplant when I am in my 20s and when I need hair the most. I will like to hear a reason for that.

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Devender said:
For those that think hair transplant is good only for people above 40, I have nothing to say. Except, not having hair when it matters sucks is all I can say

I never said it was only good for people over 40, i said it was safest to wait until then as you hair loss pattern will be more stable. I had my first hair transplant at age 31 and only used 2k grafts so far, I need (or so I think) about 400 grafts in my hairline and at age 39 I still worry about running out of donor hair someday even with a full head of hair now.

As far as hair not mattering at 40, well you are obviously young, I turn 40 in March and as I said I could use maybe 400 grafts in my hairline and it still bothers me. Hair may be more important as you age. If you shave your head in your 20's you still look young and most people guess you shaved it on purpose. A shaved head on a 40 year old who is showing other signs of aging makes you look VERY OLD more like 50

Eureka

Established Member
Reaction score
... Well of course hair matters at 40. But as you get older.. people get less fickle. When your 20 a girl will look at you and see your hair and write you off just like that. Now would I date a chick like that anyway? No.. But because of things like that it affects you. Even though with some women they wouldn't even realize why they were writing you off. At 40 most people should have grown up enough to realize that the most important thing in life is not the way you look. But at 20 that is not true at all. By 40 people realize we all get old.

The wisdom in waiting is solid. However letting life pass you by is not exactly a favored option either.

I mean I hope by 40 I won't be spending 20 minutes staring at my hair in the mirror willing it to go back to the way it was... by 40 I'd like to have a family.. a career... a Porsche. And I'd hope my woman would be down with me shaving my head down and having a weird hairloss pattern, Just like I'd be down with her boobs sagging. At 20 I wanna be a sl*t... I wanna party.. Not take every step self conscious of how my hair looks.

For me a hair transplant young is simply the lesser of two evils... One is an unknown, the other.. Well I've been walking the other path since I started losing my hair. I've kind of had enough of it.

CCS

Reaction score
HT55 said:
Norsk said:

As you should be, there are a couple decent BHT results floating around but I think if it worked as good as some would have you believe you would see many more BHT on the guys who were butchered in the 80's with plugs.

Oh, and Propecia REDUCES body hair so you would actually be fighting your body hair (that's now planted on your head) if you continue to use it. If you stop using Propecia you will lose more of the remainaing natural hair on your head so it's a catch 22.

Propecia is not reducing my body hair. :( That is why I'm getting laser hair removal.

Devender

Established Member
Reaction score
Eureka said:
At 20 I wanna be a sl*t... I wanna party.. Not take every step self conscious of how my hair looks.

For me a hair transplant young is simply the lesser of two evils... One is an unknown, the other.. Well I've been walking the other path since I started losing my hair. I've kind of had enough of it.
Funny, and true.

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Eureka said:
I mean I hope by 40 I won't be spending 20 minutes staring at my hair in the mirror willing it to go back to the way it was... by 40 I'd like to have a family.. a career... a Porsche.

I have all that ( except a BMW) and trust me if your hair bothers you at 20 it will bother you at 40 also. When your 40 your going to want a 30 year old GF, trust me.

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
CCS said:
Propecia is not reducing my body hair. :( That is why I'm getting laser hair removal.

Well your body hair won't just fall out. Try getting some jantana (it's off the market so it may be hard to find) or mens extra strength nair and remove your body hair (don't shave) and I bet it grows back much slower. Repeat this a few times as it grows back and I bet you will have less body hair