Topical Cetrizine for Hair Loss instead of Finasteride (Propecia)

Chromeo

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't think so. 3rd pic is with minoxidil only, whereas 4th and 5th pics show better regrowth and those are the Cet pics.

I know it can take a while to see results from minoxidil alone but for me the results are better when using Cetirizine as well. As I said before, I used minoxidil for about a year before and saw no results whatsoever, whereas I noticed regrowth in a much shorter timeframe on a Cet / minoxidil regime.

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Casperz, do you have any allergies?

Sorry guys, took pictures this weekend and was busy all week. Here is a recap from where I started till last weekend.

First pics is where I started in 2007, pre-treatment of any kind.

Second pic is after 36 months of various treatments, best it got.

Third pic is prior to starting Cet, had been off finasteride for 6 months (minoxidil was all that I was using)

Forth and fifth pic is from this weekend after 6 months of Cet/minoxidil.

You guys decide, it's not a cure but I think I'm going to keep at it for a while. The front has not
responded nearly as well as the vertex but it never did with the other treatments either. I think Cet may
be almost as effective as finasteride, should be able to tell in another 6 months.

I think once they come out with a PGD2 blocker that is properly dosed and more effective than Cet we
will all see a ton more regrowth, but right now we are all just guessing at dosing, etc.

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hi Casperz, do you have any allergies?

Yes, seasonal type but I never take anything for it.

- - - Updated - - -

all in all i think this is pretty exciting as i cant go on finasteride due to the sides and i think cet would work well in at least maintaning. How do prostalgins fit in with relation to dht though is dht the trigger to prostalgins which results in inflamation which eventualy leads to hairloss or do dht and prostalgins have no relationship to eachother and attack the hair folicle in diffrent ways? Do you think DHT would still need to be blocked in order to stop hairloss indefinately?

- - - Updated - - -

also casperz did you use ethanol or water to disove your cet in

Water, except for a short period of ethanol that seemed to make things worse.

Chromeo

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been using minoxidil for years, it wasn't until I started using cet, these little hair started popping up

I'm in the same boat, man. minoxidil didn't do anything without Cet. There is definitely something going on here.

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Do you apply cetirizine with minoxidil during ur 6 month treatment, cause i'm just thinking maybe minoxidil the main driver to ur regrowth..

You should read the first post on this thread, in summary I've been using minoxidil since 2007, stopped finasteride and a lot of other things a year ago and lost most of the hair I had regrown. New round of regrowth started after starting Cet 6 months ago.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
...out of everything I've every read on the net, CET shows the most dramatic results....no doubt...I stopped it because I was feeling a little loopy in the head, plus I hate topical applications....but the fuzzies that I had on my temples have all gone now...

..the thing is, I think CET can only take you so far...I think it is good for maintaining the thicker hairs...

I am gonna start using it again because I believe Keratene has helped slow down my loss...will apply once at night on my crown only for now

...but afaic, the results with CET do clearly show that attacking PGD2 directly does have an impact on the hair growth cycle...or lack of it!!

Chromeo

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree with you Sparx, it does clearly show that attacking PGD2 in this manner has a definite effect. If we could find the perfect dosage, vehicle etc I believe there is a good chance that the results would be even more dramatic. Certainly CET is the only topical I have ever applied to my scalp that has been able to make hairs grow again, which is frankly amazing in itself.

BrightonBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
possibly once we find the optimum dosage and vehicle ourselves, cant imagine running any sort of study being commercially viable given how cheap and available cet is already. for a firm making similar topicals, they could take it up easily enough but no company will run their own trials as they will be doing the legwork for companies who could easily undercut them.

this all has to come from us and tbh thats how i want it.

it might not be cet or some other topical but i honestly can see a day where a cure or much better treatment comes from one of the many hairloss forums rather than some company out there looking to take our money. our motivation is greater than their greed and we have no reason to not work together whereas they are all in competition. its upto us.

IDW2BB

Established Member
Reaction score
possibly once we find the optimum dosage and vehicle ourselves, cant imagine running any sort of study being commercially viable given how cheap and available cet is already. for a firm making similar topicals, they could take it up easily enough but no company will run their own trials as they will be doing the legwork for companies who could easily undercut them.

it might not be cet or some other topical but i honestly can see a day where a cure or much better treatment comes from one of the many hairloss forums rather than some company out there looking to take our money. our motivation is greater than their greed and we have no reason to not work together whereas they are all in competition. its upto us.

Which keeps me coming back!

Reaction score
..the thing is, I think CET can only take you so far...I think it is good for maintaining the thicker hairs...

I don't mean to sound pessimist, but it may be that your hair follicles have been so deteriorated by your alopecia that they won't be able to produce healthy normal hair again (I hope I am wrong)...

Sparky4444

Reaction score
I don't mean to sound pessimist, but it may be that your hair follicles have been so deteriorated by your alopecia that they won't be able to produce healthy normal hair again (I hope I am wrong)...

well, that may be true...my temples are swiped clean..there are about 7 or 8 hairs that keeps coming back but that's about it....but supposedly, we know that your hair follicles never completely just try and up die -- they still can be brought back to life...CET brought back light, fuzzy blonde hairs, but that's about how far as it got...So if it can do that, you would think that there's something more potent to take the growth cycle to the next stage...

Reaction score
So if it can do that, you would think that there's something more potent to take the growth cycle to the next stage...

Well, I, for one (at least for now), am very excited by the indomethacin thing right now. Some guys claim to be getting some pretty sweet results. For most it has stopped their hair loss completely (or so they say), and there are pictures of a guy around there which look just amazing (yes, he is also on finasteride, but he is using only 3 miligrams of finasteride per week). It is supposed to work by COX inhibition (being COX a crucial factor in the prostaglandin sintesis preocess). Well, who knows, it may work, it may not work, but at least it is just like cetirizine: Safe (at least used in topical form, wich is the way is being used) , cheap as hell, and you can find it everywhere.

Chromeo

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, I am following the Indomethacin thing with interest as well. It seems we could be getting closer to finding an answer to this damned curse...the whole prostaglandin thing has been a real revelation so far.

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score

I've always thought it was possible Big Pharma had a cure already but it's not commercially lucrative so they just sit on it. Just look at patents on things like Sucralfate a drug that is dirt cheap to make:

The hair-growing effect in the patients responding to the treatment was typically apparent after 1 month of treatment and in comparison to treatment with topically applied minoxidil, the test preparation gave a markedly better effect. A composition containing micronized sucralfate 5%, ethanol 25%, propylene glycol 25%, and distilled water 45%, was used in two daily applications on the scalp, the composition being dispensed in a bottle with sponge applicator. The average consumption of the test preparation in individual patients was about one bottle per month. One male aged about 55 years, and with male androgenic alopecia Hamilton grade 3, used the test preparation for two months, and there was a dense regrowth of small terminal hairs in the partly balded area of the scalp. The effects were lasting after stopping the treatment for about 4 months. Another six male patients aged from 30 to 48 years, and with male androgenic alopecia Hamilton grade 3 and 4, have used the test preparation for periods of 3 months to 6 months, and in all six cases there have been a definite regrowth of terminal hairs; the effect was typically seen after 6-8 weeks of treatment. In one patient aged 50 and with total alopecia for the last 20 years, a dense regrowth of fine short terminal hairs all over the scalp was observed after application of the test preparation for 6 weeks.
Source: http://www.follacure.com/t/sucralfate

There are so many patents that seem to have cure's in them but there is no active development. So I agree the cure may come from forums like this unless some of the new tech stuff finally comes to market.

baldnesssadness

Established Member
Reaction score
hello guys i know posted a pic before around my temples, which was in october-november period. I have gotten those hairs around my hairline too. But the thing is, it doenst grow any further... i have spoken with minox86 and he says the same thing hairs pop up everywhere near my hairline and even below my hairline but they dont grow. Even tried it with minoxidil together and still doesnt change. And from my expirience i cant say it doesnt stop hairline from receeding, my hairline is still receeding and im currently using keratene pills. 2 pills daily. Maybe we need a stronger pgd2 inhibitor.. it does seem to work but there is something missing to make it grow to the fullest. Hair loss sucks...

Kirby

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm really depressed about how feel people have posted photos in the last 7 or so months....