Townsend's Story - (22 / My Headbanging days are over)

Townsend

Reaction score
First I want to start off with the pictures so you have a better idea of what I'm working with.

I have been balding since I was 18, it was agressive at first but for the last two years it tapered off and now it is accelerating rapidly. My grandfather on my mothers side was completely bald by age 23 so I don't have much time. My dad is 50 years old and sporting a solid NW1 and his advice to me is to simply embrace it...easy for him to say! I don't plan to go down without a fight.

Now, I know achieving a full head of hair is about as realistic as the Detroit Lions winning the Super Bowl, so my goal is to simply maintain. I have lurked a lot on this site and have gleaned some valuable information (especially on the big 3) but I am still seeking advice on a regimen.

I want to avoid taking propecia because at this point in my life I really don't feel like dealing with the side affects. From my reading, Revigen sounds like a viable alternative but I remain skeptical. What is the general consensus on this treatment, does it work? Is it worth the money?

Next, what kind of rogaine should I use? Given the varying percentages and the choice between liquid and foam, the decision is overwhelming. What are the pros and cons of each? What else should I consider when making my regimen?

Thanks in advance for any help. Rock on

fromchicago

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Townsend's story - (age 22, My Headbanging days are over)

get on the finasteride. 0.25 first week, then ride out 0.5. you said you want to maintain, right?

Townsend

Reaction score

Maintain is the game. But...I'm not sold on finasteride due to some particular side affects. Not only do I want to maintain the hair but I want to maintain my A game if you know what I'm getting at.

I don't feel comfortable taking something that has the potential to wreak havoc on my hormones so I am pretty interested in the idea of revivogen but I run the risk of buying into a snake oil scheme.

On the other hand, am I just being stubborn and blowing these side effects out of proportion?

fromchicago

Established Member
Reaction score

Townsend said:
Maintain is the game. But...I'm not sold on finasteride due to some particular side affects. Not only do I want to maintain the hair but I want to maintain my A game if you know what I'm getting at.

I don't feel comfortable taking something that has the potential to wreak havoc on my hormones so I am pretty interested in the idea of revivogen but I run the risk of buying into a snake oil scheme.

On the other hand, am I just being stubborn and blowing these side effects out of proportion?

I think so. I was totally worried about the sides I read about. Day 44, only sides I have are a slightly oily forehead which is getting better, and maybe a slight consistency change in ejaculate. really, nothing.

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score

Holy eff Cassin don't censor the boy. If he wants to post pictures of his DNA evidence on the forum who are we to judge.

fadgus

Reaction score

I think you should try finasteride, if the sides are too strong than go ahead and stop it. I mean you've got nothing to lose really if you just try it.

Odie

Established Member
Reaction score

I agree with fadgus.
I was a bit apprehensive about starting finasteride but it has been a breeze (for me .. I know others have had problems)

I had less libido in the first week but after that zero sides
finasteride has definitely helped me

Avery

Established Member
Reaction score

Revigen sounds like a viable alternative but I remain skeptical. What is the general consensus on this treatment, does it work? Is it worth the money?

We don't have any evidence (before and after photos) of anyone have success with Rivivogen.

Seriously, use finasteride. Most people don't get side effects.

Norsk

Established Member
Reaction score

I don't think any topical treatment is likely to be as effective as finasteride. Just quit early if you get side effects. If you want to be even safer, get your hormones checked before you take the first pill, so you have something to compare with if you get problems after quitting. I got more screwed by finasteride than most people on here, but I stayed on it for 6 months, hoping the side effects would go away. I do think that revivogen might do some good, though. Many say it didn't help them, but a good amount of people claim to have maintained, too, based on what I've seen on here and hairlosshelp. But if you think you're ever going to try propecia when you get desperate enough, you might as well start it now, and save some more hairs.

Townsend

Reaction score

Thanks for the tips, I think I will start with finasteride and go from there.

Now what about rogaine or shampoo?

Odie

Established Member
Reaction score

Townsend said:
Thanks for the tips, I think I will start with finasteride and go from there.

Now what about rogaine or shampoo?

I would add nizoral to your new regimen , but wait a while before using minoxidil (rogaine).
That way you can see how you respond to finasteride. You can always add minoxidil 4-6 months (or even a year later) to the mix.

I am going to wait a year before adding minoxidil as by that time i will know exactly what finasteride has done for me and I will be able to measure the increased benefit from minoxidil.

Reaction score

Dude just get on the finasteride, seriously I think the side effects are way over exaggerated. Ive never had any, I thought i was having sexual problems due to finasteride, but it was all in my head. Because I was worried I was gonna have sexual side effects then I did, soon as i realised it was all in my head the problem went away. All you have to do is stop taking them if u get side effects.

menace

Reaction score

x2 on the finasteride sides being overly exaggerated. i held off on starting finasteride for 2 years, and i wish i hadnt been so reluctant. ive been on it now for a month, and the only "side" i've noticed is an increasingly healthy sex drive. dont do yourself a diservice... get on the finasteride asap.

Townsend

Reaction score

So I finally took the plunge and went to the doctor. He prescribed propecia and some scalp steroid cream.

I just went to walgreens to pick up the meds along with the Rogaine (I bought a 3mo. supply of the liquid and 1 month of the foam) and some Nizoral. Total bill: $159.63

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? The propecia alone was $73. Screw that, if its going to cost me that much a month to keep the little hair I have then F*ck it. I'd rather spend the money on beer and cheap women. Its extortion I tell you! Guess it just sucks being a poor college kid.

Thickandthin

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Buy generic Proscar online (you can get a strip of 10 pills for $10). Dissolve two 5 mg pills in 50 ml of vodka. Extract desired amount for the dosage you want. If you go low dosage this can last you for months, and is way easier than cutting the pills and risking them going bad.

Townsend

Reaction score

Thickandthin said:
Buy generic Proscar online (you can get a strip of 10 pills for $10). Dissolve two 5 mg pills in 50 ml of vodka. Extract desired amount for the dosage you want. If you go low dosage this can last you for months, and is way easier than cutting the pills and risking them going bad.

Way too much work dude.

I just checked my propecia bottle and they are 1mg. Is this too much? Do you guys suppose I could split them in half?

I'm pretty scared about taking these and 1mg seems like a lot.

Odie

Established Member
Reaction score

1mg isn't a lot but if you want to split pills it isn't that much work.
I'm lazy so I take 1mg of finpecia a day.

Still only costs about GBP 80 for a years supply

Thickandthin

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Townsend said:
Thickandthin said:

Way too much work dude.

I just checked my propecia bottle and they are 1mg. Is this too much? Do you guys suppose I could split them in half?

I'm pretty scared about taking these and 1mg seems like a lot.

Lol, it takes 3 seconds to extract the liquid and drop it in your mouth. Buy a dropper....it's hell of a lot easier than chopping the pills up anyway. Plus w/generic Proscar you save a sh*t ton of money. But it's up to you.

Townsend

Reaction score

Odie said:
1mg isn't a lot but if you want to split pills it isn't that much work.
I'm lazy so I take 1mg of finpecia a day.

Still only costs about GBP 80 for a years supply

Where do you buy your finasteride from?