USING NANOGEN AFTER HAIR TRANSPLANT

Doug Jarvis

Reaction score
Hi, folks.

I got a strip hair transplant in early December, 2010. I have used Manogen a few times since then but read recently that Nanogen may be bad for the regrowth of plugs. I know this is true for Dermatch but what about for fiber-based concealers like Nanogen or Toppik?

Is it too soon for me to be using Nanogen? I do not want to jepardize my grafts regrowth potential. My hair transplant doctor said he thought it would be safe to use it but he didn't sound certain. I was surprised since he's been doing hair transplant's for 15 yrs and even he did not seem certain! What should I do?

Thanks for all responses!

DirkNowitzki

Reaction score
I had a transplant a few months ago.

Most doctors say its okay to apply concealers post-surgery so I'd assume that it is safe.

My doctor assured me that it would be okay to use concealers after a certain time period had elapsed. I don't remember exactly, but it wasn't too long.

I used nanogen a couple times and decided that it just wasn't worth risking my investment.

I believe that if one chooses to use a concealer that the fibers would be the best option. I recently threw out my remaining supply of dermmatch. It bought me some time, so I'm not trashing the product. At the same time, I believe the product accelerated hair loss to some degree. It would take me a couple washes to remove the product entirely from my scalp. This couldn't have been healthy for the scalp/follicles.

Doug Jarvis

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, Dirk. I heard that Dermatch might cause problems. I'm really tempted to use Manogen now but i'm worried. It's been 4 months now since my hair transplant but I'm just not sure it's safe. I wonder when it will be!

LeesHair

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I think that's rubbish, sorry but a solid fibre is no more likely to cause graft failure than it is to regrow hair! If having little hair fibres on your head was damaging your Doctor would have told you not to cut your hair - same difference really.

Dermmatch is slightly more risky as it could occlude the skin, but to be honest I think the only real damage you'd do it by touching the grafts during application. Which come to think of it I'd avoid for a good long while.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Absolutley no issues with using concealers at this stage.

Doug Jarvis

Reaction score
Thanks, Lees and s.a.f. for writing.

S.a.f., I know I messaged you about this before but then I got spooked after reading something about recent hair transplant's and concealers being a problem. I think it was mostly baseless stuff and mostly directed at Dermatch. I agree with both of you but wish my own doctor had been more emphatic in saying it shouldn't be a problem.

Any of you ever use Hair So Real, another concealer? I heard about it on the "Concealers' part of this site. Just wondering as I have only heard it mentioned as being used by one poster. The Hair So Real website makes it look like it works on the same principle as Toppik and Nanogen. Another poster claimed it was no good. Just wondering because I like their price and the amount they give you. Anybody ever try it? I have to say that I really like Nanogen but wish the price was a tad lower.

Thanks.

thickhead

Reaction score
HSR is excellent. it's inexpensive, comes in a much larger container than nanogen, (which i used before HSR) and if you match the color right and become deft at using it, works seamlessly. I had a hair transplant 3 months ago, I use it even at my hairline and it looks like i never lost a hair. I even am able to lift the hair up and give it a colin farrell-like (his hair in the movie 'In Bruges') modern style..

make sure you use a hair spray after you apply to give it shine otherwise like all concealers, it looks a little chalky

Doug Jarvis

Reaction score
Thanks, Thickhead. I just ordered some HSR. I'll compare it with Nanogen and see how it goes. I like the price and quantity.

hairfan

Reaction score
I have had strip procedure and told ok to use fibres after about a week i have used Toppick but never Nanogen anyone got an opinion which is better?

kopper

Reaction score
Yes I would like to know too about using concealers after a hair transplant.
Also, if flying from Belgium or Turkey after a hair transplant, can people go through airport security with a Bandana on?