Vanzzzz's Story-(26 / 2 years update with pics)

Vanzzzz

Established Member
Reaction score
Well guys. I have been conscious of my hairloss for quite a while now. I am balding, no question about it. The pics are taken about 8 months apart, and Im trying to seek opinion as to what should I do for my hair, and to find out if you guys think my hairloss has stabilised or is getting worse. Personally my opinion is that I cant really see any diff between the 2 pics taken 8 months apart. I am wondering if 8 months is enough to see any increase in hairloss...

To be honest, I would like to regrow my temple if possible, though I know it is extremely difficult, even if proscar. However, I have read some of the sides and am worried about them even though most people here will recommend it. Besides, proscar does not work very well for temple hair to my understanding and I do not think I am losing hair anywhere else except for the temple. All pics were taken with flash on by the way.

So pls give me some advice thank you. You can compare the first and the fourth picture to see if there are any difference. The angle is pretty similar and they are taken 8 months apart.

Attachments

• Apr 10.jpg
    Apr 10.jpg
    604.7 KB · Views: 279
  • august 09.jpg
    august 09.jpg
    621.7 KB · Views: 247
  • August 1 09.jpg
    August 1 09.jpg
    713.8 KB · Views: 300
  • top 3 april 10.jpg
    top 3 april 10.jpg
    425.5 KB · Views: 258
  • top front april.jpg
    top front april.jpg
    525.7 KB · Views: 262

postit15

Reaction score
Re: 24 temple hair loss

Try minoxidil for temple regrowth it has been effective for sum ppl in addition to finasteride.

Vanzzzz

Established Member
Reaction score

Thank you for your advice. I am really undecided as to whether i should start taking finasteride. I feel that I have chance for regrowth since there are still plenty of fine hair at my temple, but the sides are kinda scary...

Winter

Reaction score

I'm in a very similiar situation like yours. I've lost some of my temples but nothing more, I'm currently using proscar and it has stopped the recession completely. The hairs that were in the minituarization phase has stayed the same, nothing more nothing less. I've been om proscar for 6 months, only side effect has been a slightly decreased libido, but nothing major. If you want to keep your hair from getting worse, just get on 1/4 proscar. Trust me.

Vanzzzz

Established Member
Reaction score

Erm am I correct to say that I am currently on nw2? Or 2A? Man all I can say is that combing side parting is a horrible sight....

Looking at my hair in the shower has strengthened my resolve to get on finasteride.... Will finasteride be available in most family physician clinic? The last time I went the doctor mentioned that she has propecia, would having propecia means she should also have finasteride?

postit15

Reaction score
Re: Vanzzzz's story - (24 temple hair loss)

propecia=1mg finasteride
Proscar= 5mg finasteride most ppl cut it up into pieces to save money
finasteride will likely stop it from progressing further but not regrow it. Most cases of temple re growth is from minoxidil, gud luck=)
Winter, did u get a bad shed from ur 6 months of proscar? I'm similar to both you guys with temple loss and im jus nervous if the shed is going to be bad and further revealing my temple loss lol But i'll never kno until i try i suppose.

Vanzzzz

Established Member
Reaction score

Erm anyone else has any advice for me? I am really not sure whether it can count as a mature hairline or male pattern baldness. Can anyone enlighten me? Because I saw some posters here whose pics I feel are somewhat worse than mine

I have posted some additional pics to let you guys form an opinion. Please give me your honest opinion. From some angles it looks like I am balding badly, from other angles it doesnt seem too bad.

Can some of the more experienced posters please give me some insights and advice thanks!!! And the odd thing is my right side receded more than my left...

Attachments

• right temple.jpg
    right temple.jpg
    446.6 KB · Views: 251
  • left temple.jpg
    left temple.jpg
    474.7 KB · Views: 234
  • left temple 1.jpg
    left temple 1.jpg
    490.1 KB · Views: 244
  • right temple 1.jpg
    right temple 1.jpg
    457.8 KB · Views: 269
  • top april.jpg
    top april.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 242

Vanzzzz

Established Member
Reaction score

Hey guys just an update. I have consulted a dermatologist and am confirmed to have male pattern baldness. As of now, my regiment consists of finasteride (merck) 1mg a day, and Nizoral, 2%, EOD. I will be posting monthly updates of my progress.

As for finasteride sides, on first day, there were no sides. 2nd day, which is today, I experienced very mild testicular discomfort, fatigue and brain fog. The brain fog scared the sh*t out of me. However, it disappeared after a few hours. I will continue this treatment and see whether the sides appear again.

mohyla103

Reaction score
Re: Vanzzzz's story - (24 temple hair loss) Update with regimen

You're right, this does look a lot like mine! But I think you're in better shape than me... looks like you've receded a bit but aren't thinning out too bad behind that.

Hopefully the finasteride will hold you right where you are.

Glad to hear you're trying something. Not very many people experience side effects and you never know until you try it. Personally I haven't experienced any side effects... after one month, my libido is the same now if not increased!

Keep updating as you go :)

Vanzzzz

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Vanzzzz's story-(24 temple hair loss) Week 1 update with pic

Week 1 on 1mg finasteride, 2% Nizoral
Just an update with some pics haha.

I am pleased to report that I have not experienced any more sides from finasteride, after the brain fog and fatigue on the 2nd day. Of course, it is still early, just 1 week on finasteride, but I hope finasteride will allow me to maintain my hair. As for shedding, no discernible shedding, just normal 30-50 hair in the shower everyday, not sure if it is excessive... I hope not.

As you guys can see, my temple hair are really thinning. I am hoping to arrest this with finasteride, but I know I have to be patient and wait a few months at least.

The good thing about this is that compared to August last year, which is 9 months ago, there does not seem to have any difference, which gives me hope that my male pattern baldness is not very aggressive. What do you guys think??

Will update again soon. Appreciate any feedback you guys can give.

P.S. Added in a picture of my top to check whether I have any crown loss and whether there had been any shedding.

Attachments

• Image1403.jpg
    Image1403.jpg
    431.9 KB · Views: 237
  • Image1404.jpg
    Image1404.jpg
    456.5 KB · Views: 238
  • Image1405.jpg
    Image1405.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 234
  • Image1373.jpg
    Image1373.jpg
    708.3 KB · Views: 243

Vanzzzz

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Vanzzzz's Story-(24 temple hair loss) Week 2 update

Week 2 with finasteride(1mg)/ Nizoral EOD

Not much difference to report. No more sides. Not much change in my hair either....

2 more weeks to starting minoxidil, if I see the need to do so. A bit put off by the prospective hassle of 2 times minoxidil application everyday...

johndoe123

Reaction score

I think your hair looks pretty good. IMO if I saw you in person I wouldn't even think you were losing your hair.

Vanzzzz

Established Member
Reaction score

johndoe123 said:
I think your hair looks pretty good. IMO if I saw you in person I wouldn't even think you were losing your hair.

Thank you. That was what my sister and parents told me, especially since every part except my frontal area is very thick. However, I am worried that the hair loss will progress very quickly since I am still so young and I read that men with hair loss in their 2nd decade will see the most progression. I do not want to hit a NW4 before 30.

Hence my regimen is targeted more toward maintaining than regrowth. However I read that Propecia is not very effective for frontal hair loss, not sure whether it is less effective for regrowth or maintenance. I just hope to maintain the current hair that I have until my late 30s...

Vanzzzz

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Vanzzzz's Story-(24 temple hair loss) Week 3 update with pic

Well this is after my 3rd week on 1mg finasteride and Nizoral EOD.

I do not know if my hair loss is getting worse, especially for my left temple. Anyway, I have posted my new pics along side my base line so that you guys can judge for yourselves.

With regard to sides, I have noticed that I will need to wake up at about 5am every morning to urinate. This is kinda a bummer. Wonder if you guys had ever dealt with this before. Will appreciate it if anyone can help me out here.

Damn hair loss really sux donkey balls......

Attachments

• Image1801.JPG
    Image1801.JPG
    397.7 KB · Views: 205
  • Image276.jpg
    Image276.jpg
    468.3 KB · Views: 193
  • Left6 aug 09.jpg
    Left6 aug 09.jpg
    495.3 KB · Views: 223
  • Image1826.jpg
    Image1826.jpg
    447.7 KB · Views: 204

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score

Vanzzzz said:
johndoe123 said:

Thank you. That was what my sister and parents told me, especially since every part except my frontal area is very thick. However, I am worried that the hair loss will progress very quickly since I am still so young and I read that men with hair loss in their 2nd decade will see the most progression. I do not want to hit a NW4 before 30.

Hence my regimen is targeted more toward maintaining than regrowth. However I read that Propecia is not very effective for frontal hair loss, not sure whether it is less effective for regrowth or maintenance. I just hope to maintain the current hair that I have until my late 30s...

Hah, I can totally relate with you here. My sister and parents also wonder why I'm so worried about my hair. They just say: "Cut it short, you'll have no problems!" not knowing that it might not regrow if I cut it (which worries me to).

I wonder what you mean with, 'men with hairloss in their 2nd decade will see most progression'? Do you mean men who receed or are thinning in their twenties? What about me then lol. (Still) A late teen here. I btw know a guy who just turned 19 who's already clearly a NW4. What stage is he gonna hit then?

I do think however you could try to add Minoxidil to your regime. It's honestly a pretty safe treathment, and people are getting good results from it. Could be better in your case as well, as you only have very slight thinning in your front area. The rest is probably unaffected. Finasteride is also said to do little to the hairline, while minoxidil when applied to the hairline should at least do something.

Vanzzzz

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Vanzzzz's Story-(24 temple hair loss) 1 month update

1 month on 1mg finasteride and Nizoral EOD.

Not much progress. Shedding seems within normal bound for thinning hair, ie I am still shedding roughly the same amount. Noticed about 5-10 hair on my pillow which I never noticed before.

I found a pic which clearly showed my right temple thinning. The thinning took place over 10 months, from august last year to june this year. Pls take a look at the pic and tell me whether I have aggressive hair loss.

After consulting my derm again, she told me I have miniaturization from the vertex to the front, which probably means my balding pattern is perhaps until a Norwood 5. Not sure how long the process will take though... Good thing I caught my hair loss early. She told me the worse case she saw of finasteride is a 1 stage progression in hair loss in about 7 years, and she had been prescribing finasteride for about 9 years.

Damn in some pics it looks the same while in other pics it looks worse. My right temple seems similar when you look from the front while it looks worse when u just look at the right temple....

On a side note I just realized quite a few of my friends have thinning hair as well which makes me feel less alone.

To deadlocks:
After researching a bit, Im pretty sure 2nd decade means men between 10 to 20. At least that is my understanding. Also, I will be adding rogaine foam in a month's time, because my derm said my scalp is currently quite flaky thus adding rogaine foam might be bad for my hair. Currently treating the flakiness now.

Attachments

• Image146.JPG
    Image146.JPG
    326.9 KB · Views: 209
  • Image1958.JPG
    Image1958.JPG
    269.9 KB · Views: 205
  • Image2010.jpg
    Image2010.jpg
    655.2 KB · Views: 228
  • Image2037.jpg
    Image2037.jpg
    885.4 KB · Views: 200
  • Image2017.jpg
    Image2017.jpg
    450.5 KB · Views: 252
  • Image276.jpg
    Image276.jpg
    468.3 KB · Views: 200

Vanzzzz

Established Member
Reaction score

Oh yea just had a monster shed today in the shower. Saw about 85 strands of hair with 2 times shampoo application. I sure hope I wont be bald by the end of this year.....

Sebastien

Established Member
Reaction score

Haha, you remind me of me. I just got back from the shower myself and I combed my hair above the sink afterwards, great game. My total score was 28 today.

patrik

Established Member
Reaction score

Vanzzz, care to explain what ur derm meant when she talked about the worst being one stage of hairloss in her 7 years of experience? i dont get it...