Vitamins that promote healthy hair....

DHTHater

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
DHTHater said:
That's not very surprising considering I'm not concerned with trying to entertain you. You've yet to provide said links that support your arguments.

I never said that I'd provide you with any "links". I told you what studies to read.

I've read the Liang T, Liao S. article, and it makes no broad claims supporting your suggestion that ALA or GLA via dietary sources are ineffective against DHT levels. Quite the contrary it summarizes the study in saying unsaturated fatty acids (ie: omega-6 and the omega-3) were shown to have a regulatory effect in the androgen production process, not stipulating a "form". The methyl ester compounds you mnetion being inactive didn't matter as GLA's effects on Vmax, substrates, NADPH, testosterone were still marked.

The other "article" you make mention of isn't something people can "conjure". Initial searches showed nothing. So if you can't be bothered to provide a link I can't be bothered to read it.

We're back to square one. You've provided nothing, including the aforementioned Liang T Liao study, showing that dietary sources of ALA or GLA are ineffective against DHT.

The truth is, as you mentioned before, you don't know whether or not dietary sources of ALA or GLA can reduce levels of DHT or not. You've been unable to demonstrate that the form of these fatty acids being tested is a factor in the results.

dr_h

Reaction score
Biotin USP 10 mg
n-acetyl cysteine USP 50mg
calcium panthothenate 100mg
sodium selenite USP equivalent to Elemental selenium 60mcg
elemental copper 3mg
zinc oxide 22.5 mg

Keraglo forte

oarf11

Established Member
Reaction score
Is Biotin something safe that I can take and not have to worry about?

Also, if you don't have a Biotin deficiency, will it actually help combat hair loss/stimulate hair growth?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
oarf11 said:
Is Biotin something safe that I can take and not have to worry about?

Probably.

oarf11 said:
Also, if you don't have a Biotin deficiency, will it actually help combat hair loss/stimulate hair growth?

This study claims that it does do that:

Authors: Floersheim GL.

Institution: Dermatologie FMH, Rennweg 15,CH-4052 Basel; Switzerland.

Title: "An examination of the effect of biotin on alopecia and hair quality."

Source: Zeitschrift fur Hautkrankheiten. Vol 67(3) (pp 246-252+255), 1992.

Abstract: "The effect of a daily oral dose of 2,5 mg biotin was studied in 93 patients with the symptoms hair-loss (mostly androgenetic alopecia) and reduced hair quality. The mean duration of treatment was 7,9 +/- 2,8 months. An obvious improvement of hair-loss was reported in 64%, and a slight improvement in 9%. Hair quality was clearly improved in 70% and slightly in 12%. Brittle finger nails as an additional complaint were improved in 80%. If alopecia, decreased hair quality and brittle finger nails occurred in combination, improvement was observed frequently collectively. The study allows - as already shown in a previous investigation concerning brittle finger nails - to suggest biotin as an effective and well tolerated therapy in cases of alopecia and decreased hair quality.

JLL

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I'll be damned. Why have I never seen that study before? Thanks for posting that, Bryan. Maybe I'll give biotin another chance.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
JLL said:
Well I'll be damned. Why have I never seen that study before?

Don't know. It's been posted a bunch of times on all the hairloss sites over the years, although not lately! :)

JLL said:
Thanks for posting that, Bryan. Maybe I'll give biotin another chance.

One thing that bothers me about that study (besides the fact that it obviously needs corroboration in the form of additional studies by other researchers) is the fact that the duration was only an average of 7.9 months. Any study like that needs to have a duration of exactly ONE YEAR, or a multiple of years (1 year, 2 years, 3 years, 4 years, etc.), to eliminate the possibility that the observed beneficial effect on the hair was really just the result of seasonal shedding.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
None of this will turn an nw5 into an nw1 or 3 for that matter, so until it does this stuff your talking about means squat.