We can get the Polyol-soluble licorice extract P-U

JayB

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Elsom got back to me a few days ago. Sorry I wasnt around to post it earlier. I havent had the chance to fully read this response, so lets all try to translate what the man is saying.
But in any event, it does appear possible we can get this, money will be the deciding factor.

Response:
Unlike ordering via The Formulator (which is still under revision) for customized retail size products, the minimum size of commercial custom batches is 2Kg. The advantage of custom commercial batches over The Formulator is in the ability to include any ingredient of choice you may have (with some limitations of course) while The Formulator is restricted to a relatively large but restricted list of ingredients (which keeps expanding as we include more ingredients into The Formulator).

For a batch, cost per person is calculated by dividing the total amount of material among the total number of persons; if you have 40 people, the cost per person is quite attractive. We can make an estimate using round numbers for ease of demonstration; the final total will depend on final decisions about ingredients, concentrations, cost and cost-upon-availability of the desired licorice variety (the minimum amount we can buy for the project and how much it costs), processing technologies (time which people spend directly on processing, machine use-time) , packaging, shipping, etc.

Assume an order size of 2Kg (2,000 grams, about 70 ounces); this is our minimum for a custom batch.

Assume a price for a batch of that size of $2,000. That’s in the range of our usual bulk prices for 2,000 gram batches, provided that the special licorice extract is available in such small quantities (and is not restricted for use by patents, or else we will have to extract the licorice ourselves to avoid such problems), and not significantly more expensive than the other licorice variety. Packaging into individual retail bottles rather than a single bulk container will increase the final price, which will also be adjusted (up or down, but remaining in the neighborhood) for the final formulation, but we’ll ignore those complications for now.

That makes the price of the material very easy to estimate: $2,000 for 2,000 grams, so $1 per gram (one scalp application).

Evenly dividing 2,000 grams among 10 people assigns 200 grams to each person: that’s $200 per person for 4 bottles of 50gram each (almost 2oz). If you have 40 people, each will pay $50 for one 50gram bottle (almost 2oz). We usually recommend using 1 gram of a serum for each application: if applied once daily, a 50gram bottle holds enough serum for 50 days.

The easiest and fastest (and therefore cheapest) way for us to deliver a custom batch is in a single container, to be re-packaged into smaller retail containers for distribution by the person/organization who buys it. If that is what you would like to do, then the price of the bulk material itself (something around $2,000 for 200grams) is the only major consideration; express shipping of that weight should add about $50.

If you would require us to package the batch into retail containers (for a serum, the best option is amber glass bottles with treatment pumps and black-and-white labels), add $5 per bottle; shipping costs to send the entire production run to one location would also increase because glass packaging is heavy. To ship retail-packaged bottles directly to the members of the group, up to 4 of the 50gram bottles in one flat-rate USPS Priority Mail envelope, we would charge $9 per package in the US or $15 for international shipping.

We are not a packaging company but we do keep a few sizes and styles of very simple retail packaging in stock; you can see what that looks like at http://www.elsomresearch.com/about/packaging.htm.

The 2Kg example is based on the asumption that you are interested in the smallest possible batch. For larger batches, the price-per-quantity can be significantly reduced since, among other savings, we get better prices when we buy larger quantities of the ingredients we use in the project; if you involve more people at the $200/person level, or if your current 10 people wish to have more than 200 grams each, the project can become more cost-effective.

We accept payment by credit card (via Google Checkout), by money order, or by bank wire transfer. Even though multiple individuals would be pooling their resources for this project, we would expect one person to be our contact point and to be responsible for paying us.

I hope this helps.

Elishalom Yechiel, Ph.D.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Lot of money...They should get a quote from Barnett or Maruzen and then start from there...WTF?? They know that we cannot get it and they are taking advantage of it...so :gay: We just want the Poly with nothing else in it... :firing: Good job by the way JayB

CCS

Reaction score
I just put some Eucerin anti-aging cream on the right side of my face. It did not take the red out like they said it would. But the right side of my face feels good, whereas the left side feels dry and sun burnt by comparison. I'll give it a few more days to see if it is any good. I want to make my own though. I have most of the ingredients.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
I was thinking about buying it too, keep us informed about it...! need some feedbacks...I use a COQ 10 cream for my after shave right now..Eucerin look like a good product...Licorice b**ch!

Jacob

Reaction score
Is anything becoming of this or ? I'm doing well with what I'm using but I'm either going to get another custom via the Formulator whenever it's ready, or something else.

toivonen

Established Member
Reaction score
Jacob, didn't you say in another forum that you were getting some regrowth possible because of Juveline?..so what's the interes in changing?..i'm curious about that cause i'm also Juveline and would like to ask for your personal experience so far..usage/tolerance/efficacy...THANKS

Jacob

Reaction score
I wouldn't be changing a thing- just adding something. I would have had another custom already had Elsom not shut down the Formulator. I go back and forth on whether I should add another or just stick with what I'm using since things are going so well. I am using Equisomin and ZormaZor here and there in the mornings, and they're cheaper than the custom ones. Although if I miss an evening application, I'll use Juveline or NanoScalp that next morning instead.

Mon, Tue- Juveline.
Wed- NanoScalp
Thur, Fri, Sat- Juveline
Sun- NanoScalp

No irritation or anything.
Hair is definitely thickening up. By that I mean existing hair , including a lot of the younger ones in the forest, as well as some regrowth.

By the way, your post does remind me of something. I'd actually prefer a nice mousse or other type of styling aid that would include a # of ingredients being discussed around here. There is one with licorice in it- always been meaning to try it....but I think we could do better than that product.

toivonen

Established Member
Reaction score
Ehmmm...i've been rotating almost the same way as you..but i skip a day per week (by many reasons, don't know) and i also can say that i've been having good results, and no adverse reaction, and that for me that have sensitive scalp, it's almost a dream come true...just wish some easier way to apply..but i'm very very happy! :bravo:

Jacob

Reaction score
Yeah...Juveline is the hardest of any of their products to apply, since it doesn't spread as easily. If they make it more spreadable..I hope they don't screw up the formula :nono:

toivonen

Established Member
Reaction score
Yup, you're right...cause not only i'm using it with good results, as i have a good feeling about this one :bravo:

You don't think we could, 1st pump the necessary amounts of time to some recipient, and than with a dropper, feel it and apply in the scalp (with a bit of purified water, maybe)..i'm saying this, cause it wouldn't be a good idea to mix the entire product with water, and there for, maybe messing his integrality...just thoughts..

Truth is, if there's not another way to improove the way of applying...then don't mess, cause the ingredients themselves, i think are the best ones out there for the moment..i really believe Elsom, really knew what they were doing whith this one (not saying that didn't knew with the others, but..dvelopment and learnings NEVER STOP)

GOOD Luck

JayB

Experienced Member
Reaction score
well we could have gotten this product, but noone stepped forward to say they wanted it. Theres no point in using the other licorice species when it was that particular species that had the greatest effect. Its like using 1% minoxidil over 5%..pointless

Jacob

Reaction score
Was there a comparison to the other licorice species though? Or was that the one they used?

Yuber

Reaction score
Jacob said:
Was there a comparison to the other licorice species though? Or was that the one they used?
Inflata was the one that they used. Inflata and Glabra is very close related, but we do know the Inflata contains more Lic-A than Glabra. Lic-A has been shown to be anti-inflam.

Jacob

Reaction score
Liquorice Phytosomes..laminaria...etc

http://www.beautyproductselite.com/product/1711

Fucus spiralis algae Oceosomes 10%: An original association ensuring long-lasting moisture & great comfort on application while soothing sensitive & reactive skins. Reduces inflammation.
Oligosource: Rhodophycea oligosaccharides with soothing action.
Marine extracts (Laminaria digitata algae and Undaria pinnatifida algae): Contain polysaccharides leaving a natural protective film.
Chitin: High moisturizing and healing power.
Hydrogenated corn oil: Improves sensitive epidermis tolerance and stimulate microcirculation.
Liquorice Phytosomes: Anti-inflammatory properties.

bornthisway

Established Member
Reaction score
squeegee said:
I was thinking about buying it too, keep us informed about it...! need some feedbacks...I use a COQ 10 cream for my after shave right now..Eucerin look like a good product...Licorice b**ch!

Eucerin reviews (2006)
http://www.cosmeticscop.com/bulletin/061506-full.htm
Only the cleanser seemed interesting to the author.. but seems doubtful due to the amount it contains/time in contact with skin. I guess we need another avenue for licochalcone A.

----

There is no question that the skin-care market for those battling rosacea is underserved. It is also undisputed that rosacea-prone skin is often sensitive, typically reacting to benign substances or combinations of products. This fact is not only frustrating for the rosacea patient, but also for the cosmetic chemist attempting to formulate products that will help rosacea-prone skin look and feel better. Eucerin’s Redness Relief products sound ideal, and they did their homework around the potent anti-irritant licorice extract. However, the line as a whole has more cons than pros, including use of sunscreen actives that are sensitizing for those with rosacea. The search for a reliable line of products for managing the cosmetic side effects of rosacea continues, but even when taking every precaution there is still no guarantee your rosacea will respond favorably, making trial and error a necessity.

Redness Relief Soothing Cleanser ($9.99 for 6.8 ounces) is a gentle, fragrance-free, water-soluble cleansing gel whose simple formula is ideal for those with sensitive, easily irritated skin. It contains licorice root extract, a good anti-irritant, but the amount it contains and the limited time it’s in contact with skin will not lead to “immediate redness relief.†This cleanser likely won’t make persistent facial redness worse, and is best for normal to slightly dry or slightly oily skin.

Redness Relief Daily Perfecting Lotion SPF 15 ($14.99 for 1.7 ounces) deserves praise for including titanium dioxide for sufficient UVA protection, but there are problems with this formula, especially for those with reddened, easily irritated skin. The active ingredients are two synthetic sunscreens, which, while generally well-tolerated, are not the best for someone with sensitive skin. Eucerin would have fared better using just titanium dioxide and/or zinc oxide as the actives. Another issue is the inclusion of denatured alcohol. There’s not a lot of it in the product, but for someone with red, sensitive skin, it’s cause for concern. The alcohol is more prevalent than the played-up licorice extract, which is present in such a small amount its soothing benefit to skin is negligible. Finally, this lotion is tinted mint green in an effort to cancel facial redness. Such color-correction rarely looks convincing, but in this case, it’s so sheer as to be barely noticeable on skin, so it doesn’t matter one way or the other. This moisturizing sunscreen is an OK option for normal to dry skin that is not affected by redness or sensitivity, but it’s certainly not what current research indicates is a state-of-the-art formula.

Redness Relief Soothing Night Creme ($14.99 for 1.7 ounces) doesn’t have much to it, though it is fragrance-free, which is great for sensitive skin. Given what we know about what skin needs to look and feel healthy, whether it is sensitive or not, this jar-packaged moisturizer lacks interest. Consisting primarily of water, glycerin, panthenol, and triglycerides, it’s a basic, slightly emollient formula for normal to slightly dry skin. What’s missing are antioxidants, cell-communicating ingredients, and a more sophisticated mix of ingredients that mimic the structure and function of healthy skin. It does contain licorice extract for its anti-irritant properties, but given the small amount, I am skeptical that someone with persistent redness or rosacea will notice their symptoms abating. Still, if you’re curious, this bland formula shouldn’t make reddened, sensitive skin worse.