What Can I Add To My Natural Regimen ?

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Me too! This is a bit of a revelation to me...
You could argue that so far there has only been one publication with such findings, but it seems to make sense to keep a moderate intake of caffeine if you are going through the trouble of a diet consisting of high omega3/protein/vitains/antioxidants etc.
I drink huge amounts of green tea (matcha to be specific, which is known to contain almost as much caffeine as coffee), but with a very high concentration of antioxidants....now I feel lost.
I guess moderation is the key.

Green tea is very rich in antioxidants but...
https://academic.oup.com/jn/article/133/2/516/4687887#SEC2

"Green tea did not reduce final tumor weight, although it tended to elevate (P = 0.14) the serum dihydrotestosterone (DHT) concentration. "

"Green tea tended to increase serum testosterone and DHT levels by 73.8% (P = 0.14) and 194% (P = 0.076), respectively"

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Green tea is very rich in antioxidants but...
https://academic.oup.com/jn/article/133/2/516/4687887#SEC2

"Green tea did not reduce final tumor weight, although it tended to elevate (P = 0.14) the serum dihydrotestosterone (DHT) concentration. "

"Green tea tended to increase serum testosterone and DHT levels by 73.8% (P = 0.14) and 194% (P = 0.076), respectively"

:eek::confused::(
Holy crap.. No wonder I'm bald despite all the treatment and diet!!! Thanks for bringing this to my attention.it's time to take up herbal teas :/

Last edited:

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Having read the article briefly, it doesn't seem that clear cut..

There are also scientists that suggest that consuming small amount of green tea could actually have the opposite effect, increasing the level of DHT, which is not a good thing when it comes to natural hair loss.
The studies seem to suggest that drinking excessive amounts of green tea can reduce testosterone levels, while small amounts can increase it.

This mechanism isn't understood, and it would be difficult to quantify the 'right' amount to drink......

Jaka

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Having read the article briefly, it doesn't seem that clear cut..

There are also scientists that suggest that consuming small amount of green tea could actually have the opposite effect, increasing the level of DHT, which is not a good thing when it comes to natural hair loss.
The studies seem to suggest that drinking excessive amounts of green tea can reduce testosterone levels, while small amounts can increase it.

This mechanism isn't understood, and it would be difficult to quantify the 'right' amount to drink......
I drink at least 6 cups of black tea per day for more than 20 years. I even mix in green tea ever now and then. It completely cleared my sinus issues after a few years which is why I wouldn't want to stop drinking so much especially during the winter months. All the studies that I've read mention that DHT is lowered by black tea. I rarely drink caffeinated tea because of ow much I drink. I think that is the only study that I've seen that mentions green tea increasing DHT. If its true then that is something that would concern me.

Jaka

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys , i want know how to use correctly the oils.

I will start with rosemary and lavander oils.

Can i mixed both in the same application ? Or is it better one in the night and the other in the morning ?
How much time i must leave the oil in my head for full absorption? All the night and than washing the next morning or with 30 minutes is ok ?
Should i do massages during the application ?
You have to mix the essential oils in something like jojoba, olive oil, castor oil. You can mix as many essential oils as you want with a carrier oil. I use no more than 5% of all the essential oils together. I try and put it in my hair before I sleep every night and wash it out in the morning. It feels good and my scalp and hair have benefited from doing this but some people don't use it every night or for as long as I do and they say it helps that way too.

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You have to mix the essential oils in something like jojoba, olive oil, castor oil. You can mix as many essential oils as you want with a carrier oil. I use no more than 5% of all the essential oils together. I try and put it in my hair before I sleep every night and wash it out in the morning. It feels good and my scalp and hair have benefited from doing this but some people don't use it every night or for as long as I do and they say it helps that way too.

Thanks for the advice man. I would try the mix castor oil / rosemary / lavander. Seems the best combination to encourage hair growth from what i read.

The problem is the dht already present in the scalp but i cant take finasteride or dutasteride to lower it :(

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I drink at least 6 cups of black tea per day for more than 20 years. I even mix in green tea ever now and then. It completely cleared my sinus issues after a few years which is why I wouldn't want to stop drinking so much especially during the winter months. All the studies that I've read mention that DHT is lowered by black tea. I rarely drink caffeinated tea because of ow much I drink. I think that is the only study that I've seen that mentions green tea increasing DHT. If its true then that is something that would concern me.

I drink a similar amount of green tea each day, and reluctant to give up for the same reason. Green tea just makes me feel so refreshed and it does a good job keeping the flu away. These findings linking to DHT are a nasty little surprised though, and I might have to change my habits.
It does appear that black tea is better for DHT issues, but I thought all black teas contain caffeine??

Last edited:

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The studies are contradictories.. there are others where green inihbit dht specially when combined with soy. They are also done in mices. Personally in the doubt i avoid it..

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The studies are contradictories.. there are others where green inihbit dht specially when combined with soy. They are also done in mices. Personally in the doubt i avoid it..
Yes, also consuming large amounts of soy products is known to cause hormonal imbalance so I have been reducing the intake for a few years...
With all the uncertainties and contradictions, I think it would be wise to avoid it if you can (until further convincing findings are published). Such is life of the baldies....

Last edited:

Jaka

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I drink a similar amount of green tea each day, and reluctant to give up for the same reason. Green tea just makes me feel so refreshed and it does a good job keeping the flu away. These findings linking to DHT are a nasty little surprised though, and I might have to change my habits.
It does appear that black tea is better for DHT issues, but I thought all black teas contain caffeine??
I go the cheaper route because it gets expensive (and quicker to make) so I use ready made tea bags like lipton that has decafe black/green tea. Go ahead and laugh but when on a budget I have to make choices like this.

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I go the cheaper route because it gets expensive (and quicker to make) so I use ready made tea bags like lipton that has decafe black/green tea. Go ahead and laugh but when on a budget I have to make choices like this.

Hardly anything to laugh at...in fact it's a good idea. I've always been paying for quality tea with the understanding that they are likely to be more fresh, and contain more antioxidants (in the case of higher grade green tea anyway). With the possibility of increase DHT hanging over our heads, it might actually be better to drink decaf black tea.

Jaka

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hardly anything to laugh at...in fact it's a good idea. I've always been paying for quality tea with the understanding that they are likely to be more fresh, and contain more antioxidants (in the case of higher grade green tea anyway). With the possibility of increase DHT hanging over our heads, it might actually be better to drink decaf black tea.
My family are serious tea drinkers and they criticize my Lipton preference. So I am always on the defensive when I bring it up :D:D:D.

Differential effects of caffeine on hair shaft...
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/bjd.13114
Full study
https://sci-hub.tw/https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/bjd.13114

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score

hey man, sorry for another question, but how much exactly do you use ? im trying with 5 drops of rosemary oil in 1ml castor oil. not sure if this is enough or i need more drops or ml of castor oil

Jaka

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1 ml of castor oil is about 20 drops. To make a 5% mix, you would need 19 drops of castor oil and 1 drop of rosemary oil. What you just made is a 20% mix. Don't throw it away, just add more castor oil or another carrier oil such as olive oil, grape seed oil, etc.

You might find this chart a little easier to follow but it starts at 5 ml. As you see it is a little more than 1 drop per ML.

HairLossTalk.com-chart2.jpg

Jaka

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just a side note, some of the topical benefits of organic carrier oils such as castor oil, jojoba oil, olive oil, grape seed oil, etc. are:

• Moisturizer
  • Anti-Inflammatory
  • Anti-fungal
  • Antibacterial
  • Antioxidant

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
1 ml of castor oil is about 20 drops. To make a 5% mix, you would need 19 drops of castor oil and 1 drop of rosemary oil. What you just made is a 20% mix. Don't throw it away, just add more castor oil or another carrier oil such as olive oil, grape seed oil, etc.

You might find this chart a little easier to follow but it starts at 5 ml. As you see it is a little more than 1 drop per ML.

View attachment 111698

Thanks man.

Which is the problem with an higher concentration (20% instead of 5% ) ? I don’t understand.

2ml of castor oil and 5 drops of rosemary is ok or is better to diluite it more ? I can add some olive oil

Jaka

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks man.

Which is the problem with an higher concentration (20% instead of 5% ) ? I don’t understand.

2ml of castor oil and 5 drops of rosemary is ok or is better to diluite it more ? I can add some olive oil
You don't want to risk irritating your scalp with a high concentration. In my opinion, start off with something closer to 5% to see how your scalp feels. I've used 10-15% before without a problem but I am more comfortable using 5% because I leave it in overnight and sometimes the whole day.

Last edited: