What I don't understand

ASUknowit18

Reaction score
I started Propecia in the second week of March 2004. I am coming up on 6 months.

I have had about 2 comments about my crown-loss, and that is 2 too many. When there is a problem, I want to solve it the best I can (hey, I'm a consultant :D ). That is why I am on Propecia.

While reading this site and learning about hair loss, I realize my temples are a bit receded. It looks just like a normal "widows peak" and is easily disguisable.

So I just read on the Propecia site that 6 months "you should be noticing a decrease in hair loss."

Does that mean shedding? I thought shedding wasn't hair loss. How am I supposed to tell if Propecia is working to maintain, if I wasn't losing hair at a fast pace to begin with? I just took a shower, and as I have been doing for a while, I have been "counting the hairs" each time. I know this is bad, but this is how I am trying to measure my progress.

It seems to me like I am losing the same in the shower as I was at the start of treatment...now is that just "regular shedding" or am I not a responder? I just want it to maintain..and if it makes my crown a little fuller...that is great. But how am I supposed to know? Any help appriciated.

Also...I am/was growth hormone deficiant. I got off of HGH in 1999, when I was 17. I am 22 now. My doctor said I know longer needed to continue the treatment (getting shots everyday is a pain in the ***) so I was happy. But then I realized, what if HGH has something to do with hairloss...does anyone know.

Thanks for reading.

misterium

Reaction score
I've only been on Propecia for about 2 months... I think I'm starting to shed cause I see a lot more hairs in the shower, but that's not a good way to guage. I'm a crown/vertex thinner.. hairline is fine. Still no bald spots that are visible yet just thinning.

I also take an HGH spray 3 times a day under my tongue, from Liddell laboratories.

Think it's good for the body.

wolfe

Reaction score
One theory is that people losing their hair have a shorter growth period. Shortening the growth period means it seems that you are losing more hair than average at any given time. So when finasteride is working the growth period should return to normal, thereby the appearance that you're losing less hair.... I think

TL2

Reaction score
HeyAsu and everybody , i just joined this forum .

Im 22 as well now and i started treating my hair after 2 years .
Im norwood 1-2.

I started using propecia on 15 of march 2004 and Nizoral 2% 4 months later , and i noticed nice results in the middle of month 5 . First 3 months i was losing hair , im not sure if it was serious shedding coz before starting propecia i had long hair and used to see lots of hair in the shower anyway , so i dont know if i lost more hair . Middle of 5 month i rarely saw hair in the shower , maybe something like 5 hairs . since then it is the same more or less 10 - 20 hairs a day inside and outside the shower as far as i notice .

No side effects so far . however , I noticed decrease of libido first week till first month , and then it vanished .

I will post my story the next few days .

TL2

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
hey. dont pay too much attention to the propecia site, a lot of it is sales pitch.

everyones different. you will go through sheds and regrowths most probably. at the end of a year - and i do mean END - see if your hairs better off than when you started. OR, if at any point in treatment, your hair has been better off than baseline. should help you judge. take photos if poss. good luck.

asolof

Established Member
Reaction score
<<
Slonim AE, Sadick N, Pugliese M, Meyers-Seifer CH. Clinical response of alopecia, trichorrhexis nodosa, and dry, scaly skin to zinc supplementation. J Pediatr 1992 Dec;121(6):890-5

Two unrelated patients had dry brittle hair, alopecia, trichorrhexis nodosa, dry scaly skin, pigment dyschromia, short stature, and neurosecretory growth hormone deficiency. By means of the zinc tolerance test, patient 1 was shown to have zinc deficiency, whereas no clear zinc deficiency could be demonstrated in patient 2. In both patients, hair and the skin abnormalities responded to oral zinc therapy.
>>

<<
Hypopituitarism
The pituitary gland can act directly or indirectly on hair follicle activity. The pituitary gland produces growth hormones that have a direct impact on the cells in hair follicles. The pituitary hormones also influence the production of hormones made elsewhere in the body including; gonadotrophin, TSH and ACTH. These hormones in turn have an affect on hair follicle growth. In hypopituitarism one may see hair loss symptoms observed in other hormone deficiency diseases such as hypothyroidism.

A drop in pituitary hormone production results in very fine and dry scalp hair. The outer third of eyebrow hair can be entirely lost similar to that seen in hypothyroidism (called “Hertoghe’s symptomâ€