What is the most effective way to lower Cholesterol?

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Great posts!

As for the Raw vegan diet...that would not be possible being for me b/c of my workout demands. I would literally shrink to nothing. I am buffed out for about 20 some odd yrs now...it's a lifestyle. I really dont eat red meat, maybe once a month and I love it too. Eggs, mostly the whites. Glad to hear it's helped you. I dont come across many cases like urs but hey to each his own.

As for Red yeast rice, I have been on it since jan 10 and havent felt any sides. Some cramping in my trunk/back muscles but has since subsided.

I saw the link and it has 60 mg coq10...is that enough?

Any luck with Gugulipid? Policosanol? Syntrinol?(orange extract)

camobear777

Established Member
Reaction score
I have had no luck at all with Policosanol and plant sterols. I just read some studies and they are as effective as placebo basically. Red Yeast Rice is a sold supplement and it is known to really effectively lower Cholesterol. The Now product has 60mg of CoQ10 in it. I take 100mg of COQ10 on top of that as the COQ10 in the Now foods product. This stuff has been great and has kept me off of medication. Check out this link from the Mayo clinic on Red Yeast Rice. Very informative.

Cheers

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/red-ye ... t-redyeast

Jm0311

Reaction score
sublime is all that sh*t you take necassary?

also guys. i have a question...i have been reading this thread. but whats some simple straight to the point ways my dad can lower his cholestoral

CCS

Reaction score
I'm sure bryan will roll his eyes when he reads that.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Jm0311 said:
also guys. i have a question...i have been reading this thread. but whats some simple straight to the point ways my dad can lower his cholestoral

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Go ahead bryan, tell him to take vitamin C thru out the day! 8)

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
camobear777 said:
I have had no luck at all with Policosanol and plant sterols. I just read some studies and they are as effective as placebo basically. Red Yeast Rice is a sold supplement and it is known to really effectively lower Cholesterol. The Now product has 60mg of CoQ10 in it. I take 100mg of COQ10 on top of that as the COQ10 in the Now foods product. This stuff has been great and has kept me off of
medication. Check out this link from the Mayo clinic on Red Yeast Rice. Very informative.

Cheers

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/red-ye ... t-redyeast

You appear to ne taking alot of COQ10 on a daily basis. What effect is it giving aside from the great lipid profile?

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Jm0311 said:
sublime is all that $#iT you take necassary?

Bypass surgery

Lipitor, mevacor, prevacol, vytorin, crestor, zetia

camobear777

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey LookingGood! Thanks for your posts and reply. I take a lot of COQ10 for heart health benefits. I developed high blood pressure last year and it has scared the hec out of me. Ever since I was diagnosed with hypertension I have been taking a lot of COQ10. COQ10 is excellent for your heart and it has helped me out a lot. I do take a lot but if you supplement most people take around 50mg-100mg daily which is enough. I just chose to take more.

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
camobear777 said:
Hey LookingGood! Thanks for your posts and reply. I take a lot of COQ10 for heart health benefits. I developed high blood pressure last year and it has scared the hec out of me. Ever since I was diagnosed with hypertension I have been taking a lot of COQ10. COQ10 is excellent for your heart and it has helped me out a lot. I do take a lot but if you supplement most people take around 50mg-100mg daily which is enough. I just chose to take more.

Thanks for the posts. Are you on HTN meds?

camobear777

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah I take stuff for HTN. Wish I did not have to. I tried tried the natrual way for six months but it did not lower my BP enough. I still take suplements for heart health. Here is a list of what I take for heart health.

Lecithan
Omega 3 Fish Oil
Magnesium
COQ10
Aged Garlic Extract
Red Yeast Rice
Grape Seed Extract

Drink lots of Green Tea

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I take most of what's on your list. Well at least you are proactive about your health.

Do u mind me asking, how high is your BP? How old are you? Does it run in the family?

camobear777

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey, Looking Good! Thanks for your reply. I am 27 and my BP with out medication is 140/90. So my HTN is very mild stage 1. With my HTN medication my BP is 114/57 consistently. HTN runs in my family but it really scares the hec out of me that I got it at such a young age. I am not over weight and am very fit. My doctor said HTN is very common though. They say 1 out of 3 has it. The bad thing is most ignore it and do not take medication. I can see why they call HTN the silent killer.

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Wow 114/57 do you exp any sides such as lightheadedness, passing out? The diastolic number is quite low.

camobear777

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah I get lightheaded at times but used to it. It is not that over bearing though. Yeah my numbers are real low. It took me about a year and three different Doctors till I found the right HTN medication.

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well at least you are doing the right thing bro. Most guys dont go to the doctor b/c they are afraid of the unknown and sometimes it's too late.

wookster

Experienced Member
Reaction score
L-Ascorbic Acid [Vitamin C] Potentiates Nitric Oxide Synthesis in Endothelial Cells

http://www.jbc.org/cgi/content/full/274/12/8254

L-Ascorbic Acid Potentiates Nitric Oxide Synthesis in Endothelial Cells*

Regine Heller, Felix Münscher-Paulig, Rolf Gräbner, and Uwe Till

From the Center of Vascular Biology and Medicine, Friedrich-Schiller-University of Jena, 99089 Erfurt, Germany

Ascorbic acid has been shown to enhance impaired endothelium-dependent vasodilation in patients with atherosclerosis by a mechanism that is thought to involve protection of nitric oxide (NO) from inactivation by free oxygen radicals. The present study in human endothelial cells from umbilical veins and coronary arteries investigates whether L-ascorbic acid additionally affects cellular NO synthesis. Endothelial cells were incubated for 24 h with 0.1-100 µM ascorbic acid and were subsequently stimulated for 15 min with ionomycin (2 µM) or thrombin (1 unit/ml) in the absence of extracellular ascorbate. Ascorbate pretreatment led to a 3-fold increase of the cellular production of NO measured as the formation of its co-product citrulline and as the accumulation of its effector molecule cGMP. The effect was saturated at 100 µM and followed a similar kinetics as seen for the uptake of ascorbate into the cells. The investigation of the precursor molecule L-gulonolactone and of different ascorbic acid derivatives suggests that the enediol structure of ascorbate is essential for its effect on NO synthesis. Ascorbic acid did not induce the expression of the NO synthase (NOS) protein nor enhance the uptake of the NOS substrate L-arginine into endothelial cells. The ascorbic acid effect was minimal when the citrulline formation was measured in cell lysates from ascorbate-pretreated cells in the presence of known cofactors for NOS activity. However, when the cofactor tetrahydrobiopterin was omitted from the assay, a similar potentiating effect of ascorbate pretreatment as seen in intact cells was demonstrated, suggesting that ascorbic acid may either enhance the availability of tetrahydrobiopterin or increase its affinity for the endothelial NOS. Our data suggest that intracellular ascorbic acid enhances NO synthesis in endothelial cells and that this may explain, in part, the beneficial vascular effects of ascorbic acid.

wookster

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Interesting...

Furumoto K, et al, Age-dependent telomere shortening is slowed down by enrichment of intracellular vitamin C via suppression of oxidative stress, Life Sciences 63: 935-48, 1998.

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
yes vitamin C. The thing is is it more effective if it was injected or taken by mouth?

Also, getting back to the coffee enimas.....the coffee reaches the gall bladder via the hepatic duct and this creates parasympathetic tone thus releasing more bile to block cholesterol synthesis. I didnt state this last time, was very vague about it.