What is up with all the suicide talk on this site?

Cassin

Reaction score
Sadly its always kind of come and gone.

zeroes said:
And why aren't the mods doing anything about it?

Don't assume we aren't but there is only so much we can do. I used to lock the threads with a few links about suicide prevention but that didn't seem to help. The last few people I did that to got mad saying they needed to vent.

I am more than open to suggestions if people have any.

imlosinit

Established Member
Reaction score
cassin said:
imlosinit said:
Don't worry, the problem goes away when the user stops logging in.
C'mon that sucks. Do you have any helpful constructive comments?

Actually I believe that there's only so much you (as an admin) can do in such situations. I think you have discharged your duty. As sad as it is to hear such talk, people have to realize that this site is providing them a forum to reach out. They need to vent. That said, no one here can go into their homes even though that may be what they need.

zeroes

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Censor words like kill, suicide and death, censor post, hand out warnings. Hide impact of hairloss from visitors and require a minimum number of post and age. Also move it to the bottom of the forum.

Plenty of options available. I know the above is extreme, but is this a support forum?

Anyone else with opinions?

s.a.f

Reaction score
I dont think there's anything that you can do about it, thats why its important to try and encourage some kind of rationality on here.
Get a couple of depressives together and the problem only gets worse.
If you're thinking of killing youself over hairloss then you have much bigger issues than just hairloss.

slipy

Reaction score
i know this could be a bad taste to joke about this, but i haven't seen exodus in a while. i hope he wasn't playing with his shotgun again.

Cassin

Reaction score

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I just find it sad that people consider that an option. I think it has less to do with their hairloss and more to do with underlying depression. It gets old though.

This site is to help and inform but if people are posting the suicide posts over long periods of time are they really being helped...or do they just want attention?

s.a.f

Reaction score
They want to bring other people down. Their view is if they're miserable and leading sad lives then others should be too. They hate to see people succeeding when they are'nt.

Cassin

Reaction score
In real life you must take suicide talk very seriously and never dismiss it.

On the Internet? People are distorted with what they think is funny so I'm not sure.

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
There are also many suicidal support forums on the web. If they really want help then that is where they should go.

Most of us just want to come here for advice and to share our experiences. It helps me to know that there are other people who are in the same boat, otherwise I feel like I'm the only one making a big deal out of my hair loss. Suicide has never once crossed my mind though. It's a superficial society that thinks hair loss is a valid reason to end their life. :shakehead:

s.a.f

Reaction score
Most suicides are over trivial things. I went on a suicide forum once no one on there had any real reasons they just seemed to hate living, in other words depression.

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don't know of one in particular, but I know they're out there. In regards to what s.a.f said, it would probably be best to find one that doesn't enable their depression.

Hate to see a support forum that actually causes someone to take their life rather than prevent it!