Why not apply (or swallow) SOD directly?

saltynuts

Reaction score
I've read that various hair loss products work by stimulating the body's production of superoxide dismutase (SOD). But if SOD does good things for hair loss, why not use it directly? I know it can be purchased.

There must be some logical fallicy I am missing...

Thanks guys.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
saltynuts said:
I've read that various hair loss products work by stimulating the body's production of superoxide dismutase (SOD). But if SOD does good things for hair loss, why not use it directly? I know it can be purchased.

There must be some logical fallicy I am missing...

You seem to be confusing two different things: real SOD itself (actual superoxide dismutase), and things which have SOD activity (copper peptides, TEMPO/TEMPOL, PBN. and probably numerous other chemicals). The most common ingredients found in hair treatments which have SOD activity are probably copper peptides, and the aforementioned substances from Proxiphen: TEMPO/TEMPOL, and PBN.

By the way, swallowing real SOD would be a huge waste; it would be digested like a very expensive steak.

Jacob

Reaction score
He wasn't confusing/confused about a dang thing. What part of "work by stimulating the body's production of superoxide dismutase" and "why not use it directly?" didn't you understand?

Of course we all know you just wanted to shill 'n spam the Proxiphen crap again.

Things such as EUK-134..just one example....are mentioned in the thread I linked to. Plenty of SOD mimetics out there.

And btw..no..swallowing "real SOD" would not be a waste. You said that years ago and you're still stuck on 15+ year old knowledge.

A couple examples: http://research.glisodin.org/?p=149

http://research.glisodin.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/july-2011-glisodin-polish-rowing-study.pdf

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Jacob said:
He wasn't confusing/confused about a dang thing.

I think he was confused by the difference between real SOD, and substances with SOD activity. I think YOU are, too. (More on that, later.)

Jacob said:
What part of "work by stimulating the body's production of superoxide dismutase" and "why not use it directly?" didn't you understand?

I stand by everything I said in my previous post.

Jacob said:
Of course we all know you just wanted to shill 'n spam the Proxiphen crap again.

It's a good way to let everybody know about TEMPO/TEMPOL and PBN, especially considering how important the use of SOD mimetics is to Dr. Proctor's basic hairloss strategy.

Jacob said:
Things such as EUK-134..just one example....are mentioned in the thread I linked to. Plenty of SOD mimetics out there.

Good.

Jacob said:
And btw..no..swallowing "real SOD" would not be a waste. You said that years ago and you're still stuck on 15+ year old knowledge.

A couple examples: http://research.glisodin.org/?p=149

http://research.glisodin.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/july-2011-glisodin-polish-rowing-study.pdf

I think you have the same problem that the original poster had: you're confusing substances with SOD activity with the real thing.

Jacob

Reaction score
How cute. Bryan is back to responding to me...after thinking he can get me on SOMEthing. This is now what..the 4th time?

But no..you're dead wrong. He wasn't confused..and OBVIOUSLY neither was I. Again..and I'll help you out here Bryan. "work by stimulating the body's production of superoxide dismutase"= sod mimetics/things with sod activity and "why not use it directly?"(full quote is "But if SOD does good things for hair loss, why not use it directly? I know it can be purchased")= real SOD :shakehead:

You mean it's a good way to shill 'n spam the Proxiphen crap again.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Jacob said:
How cute. Bryan is back to responding to me...after thinking he can get me on SOMEthing. This is now what..the 4th time?

I already explained to you in a previous post: I probably won't respond to you unless I'm simply bored, or (perhaps) if there's some other good reason to do so that I haven't specified. What makes it LESS likely for me to respond to you is if you do nothing at all, other than post the same old tired stuff that you say over and over and over and over...

Jacob said:
But no..you're dead wrong. He wasn't confused..and OBVIOUSLY neither was I. Again..and I'll help you out here Bryan. "work by stimulating the body's production of superoxide dismutase"= sod mimetics/things with sod activity and "why not use it directly?"(full quote is "But if SOD does good things for hair loss, why not use it directly? I know it can be purchased")= real SOD :shakehead:

I stand by everything I said before.

Jacob

Reaction score
So every time you TRY..it's because you're bored. And you stick by what you said before..even though it was hilariously stupid...and wrong. Because that's about all you CAN say :laugh: Well that..and that you're bored. Oh wait...or you could *specify* why you're TRYing to do so. Any excuse will do eh? Especially if it's to push the Proctor crap! :woot:

For Bryan..one more time: He wasn't confused..and OBVIOUSLY neither was I. Again..and I'll help you out here Bryan. "work by stimulating the body's production of superoxide dismutase"= sod mimetics/things with sod activity and "why not use it directly?"(full quote is "But if SOD does good things for hair loss, why not use it directly? I know it can be purchased")= real SOD :shakehead:

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Jacob said:
So every time you TRY..it's because you're bored.

Try WHAT?

Jacob said:
And you stick by what you said before..even though it was hilariously stupid...and wrong. Because that's about all you CAN say :laugh: Well that..and that you're bored. Oh wait...or you could *specify* why you're TRYing to do so.

What did I say I'm "trying" to do?

Jacob said:
Any excuse will do eh? Especially if it's to push the Proctor crap! :woot:

Yes. I think bringing information about Dr. Proctor's technology to everybody is important.

Jacob said:
For Bryan..one more time: He wasn't confused..and OBVIOUSLY neither was I. Again..and I'll help you out here Bryan. "work by stimulating the body's production of superoxide dismutase"= sod mimetics/things with sod activity and "why not use it directly?"(full quote is "But if SOD does good things for hair loss, why not use it directly? I know it can be purchased")= real SOD :shakehead:

I leave it as an exercise for you to figure out why I stand by everything I said before.

Jacob

Reaction score
Ohhhhhhhhhh quote and quote and quote(what you care to quote)..it's getting scary! :laugh:

Trust me..bringing information about Dr. Proctor's technology to everybody is far from important. In fact it's old...no evidence for 'em...nothing but a bunch of shill'n spam'n.

Keep TRYing, Bryan! And if you were honest..you'd have said- "I leave it as an excuse..." Hilarious!

saltynuts

Reaction score
LOL, there you go Bryan, trying to act smart again.

I wasn't confused about a damn thing. My post explicity said that various products work by STIMULATING SOD, so my very clear question was why not just use SOD directly instead of just trying to use other products to stimulate it.

Learn to read, dude.

Jacob, thanks for the help - going to check out those links now.

saltynuts

Reaction score
So is anyone aware of any studies that show that taking SOD directly, either orally or putting it on your head, helps with hair loss?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
saltynuts said:

I wasn't confused about a damn thing. My post explicity said that various products work by STIMULATING SOD, so my very clear question was why not just use SOD directly instead of just trying to use other products to stimulate it.

What's a product that works by "stimulating SOD"?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
saltynuts said:
So is anyone aware of any studies that show that taking SOD directly, either orally or putting it on your head, helps with hair loss?

I already told you: taking SOD orally would be digested like an expensive piece of steak.

saltynuts

Reaction score
Bryan said:
saltynuts said:

Uhhhhhhh, copper peptides maybe?

In addition to promoting the growth of collagen and elastin, copper peptides help to activate and stimulate superoxide dismutase, or SOD, a powerful antioxidant enzyme that occurs naturally in the body.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/25666 ... -peptides/

Have you finally got your reading comprehension together?

saltynuts

Reaction score
Bryan said:
saltynuts said:

I already told you: taking SOD orally would be digested like an expensive piece of steak.

I know you said that, but Jacob posted links to oral SOD that indicated the SOD did something other than just get digested like a steak. Got any response to that or are you just going to repeat again what you already said?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
saltynuts said:
Bryan said:

Uhhhhhhh, copper peptides maybe?

SOD (superoxide dismutase) is a specific large, complex protein that's produced by certain cells of the body. The specific purpose of that complex protein is to combine with a very harmful radical called superoxide, and change it chemically into a much safer substance.

So why are copper-peptides used in hairloss treatments? Because (like I said in an earlier post in this thread) copper-peptides have SOD activity. They cause the harmful radical called "superoxide" to be turned chemically into safer substances, but are not actually true "SOD" themselves. Other substances that also have SOD activity (they destroy superoxide) are TEMPO/TEMPOL and PBN, which are used in Proxiphen.

Understand now what I'm saying? The word "SOD" is just a word that's used sometimes very loosely to refer to something that describes a certain specific chemical activity, but isn't actually true SOD itself.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
saltynuts said:
Bryan said:

I know you said that, but Jacob posted links to oral SOD that indicated the SOD did something other than just get digested like a steak. Got any response to that or are you just going to repeat again what you already said?

Jacob linked to something which wasn't true SOD, but something that had SOD activity. Even Pearson & Shaw have mentioned in their Life Extension books that SOD (I'm talking about true SOD, now) is completely digested when swallowed, because it's just a protein. It would be digested, like any other protein.

Jacob

Reaction score
saltynuts said:

Learn to read, dude.

Jacob, thanks for the help - going to check out those links now.

And he's still lecturing you after you showed you were once again very well aware of what you were talking about. That's called acting stupid..not smart :woot:

Jacob

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Jacob linked to something which wasn't true SOD, but something that had SOD activity. Even Pearson & Shaw have mentioned in their Life Extension books that SOD (I'm talking about true SOD, now) is completely digested when swallowed, because it's just a protein. It would be digested, like any other protein.

Which is why the SOD..yes, SOD, is protected by bonding it to gliadin(in the case of GliSODin). This was explained to you YEARS ago :shakehead:

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2005/aug2005_report_sod_02.htm

http://www.glisodin.com/glisodin_monograph.php