A healthy alternative

DammitLetMeIn

Experienced Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
okay. i'll take him at his word. still, the testosterone increases go down about 2-3 hours after weight lifting, so unless you're weight lifting 4 times a day every day, i don't think you have anything to worry about. 2-3 hours isn't enough time to convert it to dht and do damage to your hair. it would have to be a consistently higher level, not just temporary increases in serum testosterone.

Understood. However, I was of the belief that doing weights increased baseline testosterone levels over time...?

G

DammitLetMeIn said:
JayMan said:
okay. i'll take him at his word. still, the testosterone increases go down about 2-3 hours after weight lifting, so unless you're weight lifting 4 times a day every day, i don't think you have anything to worry about. 2-3 hours isn't enough time to convert it to dht and do damage to your hair. it would have to be a consistently higher level, not just temporary increases in serum testosterone.

Understood. However, I was of the belief that doing weights increased baseline testosterone levels over time...?

it absolutely does not in my opinion. anabolic do and since people take them regularly that can accelerate hair loss in susceptible individuals due to more being converted to DHT. i do think though that even someone doing roids with male pattern baldness in their genetics will be protected if they are on finasteride or dutasteride. Still, I wouldn't, because roids are dangerous in my opinion. I'm def not going to stop working out though.

Sir Guy of Frizzbourne

Established Member
Reaction score
I used to be hardcore into weightlifting, and running. Over the past few years, my workout routine has fallen apart. I've been back into it, but not nearly as much as before. It was around when my routine was at it's worst that I noticed my hair thinning. Also, my brothers weren't nearly as into working out as I was and they started losing theirs at about 18. I started around 22 or just before.

s.a.f

Reaction score
DammitLetMeIn said:
persnally i think theres a link bwetween weights and baldness.

Yeah, there definatly is...
Every guy who sees he's balding starts hitting the weights to try and compensate :roll:

powersam

Reaction score
you find me stories of people who say their hairloss started when they started working out, and i'll find you just as many people who say their hair loss started when they stopped working out.

trying to make conclusions like these from anecdotal evidence on forums is worse than useless.

moreover LOTS of men do weights, therefore its not too strange that quite a few people on this forum lift as well. once again absolutely no conclusion can be drawn from this as you have no solid figures whatsoever.

also apparently cortisol levels only start to rise once you've been working out for around an hour. dont know too many who would or should be lifting that long.

if there was link between hair loss and weight training it would be that weight training increases insulin sensitivity and therefore can help slow the balding process.

DammitLetMeIn

Experienced Member
Reaction score
powersam said:
you find me stories of people who say their hairloss started when they started working out, and i'll find you just as many people who say their hair loss started when they stopped working out.

I bet you won't find many of these compared with the other way around.

Agreed, anedotal evidence is not much use, hwoever, I have seen A LOT of just this evidence.

You seem adamant that its the other way around, however, I keep my mind open and recognize that where we're dealing with hormones weights can have a big impact.

jwilson02

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
DammitLetMeIn said:

Yeah, there definatly is...
Every guy who sees he's balding starts hitting the weights to try and compensate :roll:

...and many compesate by shaving thier head...why not at least look sexy with a bald head? 85% percent of males lose thier hair anyway, lifting just moves u farther in the game in the long run

blondeguy

Established Member
Reaction score
DammitLetMeIn said:
blondeguy said:
DammitLetMeIn said:

You've got to be kidding. :p

Nah, I'm not kidding. I have read A LOT of hair loss stories over the past few months and the number of them who are either from seasoned weightlifters or people who had just started getting into weights when their hair loss happened/begun is really really high.

So all you're going on are that some of the hair loss stories you've read are from guys who happen to lift weights? That's anecdotal at best.

ITs not that unbelievable when one considers the consistent rising of testosterone which doing weights causes, the extra demands placed on nutrients and the body and the release of cortisol.

Testosterone levels only rise for about 45 to 60 minutes. In fact, the longer you workout, the less your testosterone levels will rise. If you get to the point that you're releasing cortisol, that's going to lower things even further.

s.a.f

Reaction score
jwilson02 said:
85% percent of males lose thier hair anyway

I think its the other way round. :wink:

BornBaldDieBald

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, everyone losses their hair, to an EXTENT. What extent that is, is a different story. My grandfather (that hair a**h**) has a full head of glistening hair at 73, and the other didn't start receding till he was in his mid 50's. My father, was Norwood IV by 45. More guys definately keep MOST of their hair. I see about 2 bald guys on the subways per every 15 normal guys.

s.a.f

Reaction score
BornBaldDieBald said:
I see about 2 bald guys on the subways per every 15 normal guys.

Thats exactly what I mean't.

BornBaldDieBald

Established Member
Reaction score
However in my opinion, if I had to rate bald guys on looks, the 2/15 bald guys are on the average much better looking and fit than the guys with hair (in the 20 - 45) age range that is.

Itsonlyinmyhead

Established Member
Reaction score
workout instead. Work on your shoulders the most. Why? Cuz it help build the structure of the neck and face. Giving you a masculine appearance

what specific exercises would people recommend?

Pondle

Reaction score
BornBaldDieBald said:
Well, everyone losses their hair, to an EXTENT. What extent that is, is a different story. My grandfather (that hair @55**e) has a full head of glistening hair at 73, and the other didn't start receding till he was in his mid 50's. My father, was Norwood IV by 45. More guys definately keep MOST of their hair. I see about 2 bald guys on the subways per every 15 normal guys.

According to one of the articles by Hamilton, 96% of men lose their hair to some degree. Lots of the "normal" guys on the subway in 2007 will be progressing up the Norwood scale in a few years time. In fact, as developed societies get older, expect relatively more male pattern baldness.

BornBaldDieBald

Established Member
Reaction score
Pondle said:
BornBaldDieBald said:
Well, everyone losses their hair, to an EXTENT. What extent that is, is a different story. My grandfather (that hair @55**e) has a full head of glistening hair at 73, and the other didn't start receding till he was in his mid 50's. My father, was Norwood IV by 45. More guys definately keep MOST of their hair. I see about 2 bald guys on the subways per every 15 normal guys.

According to one of the articles by Hamilton, 96% of men lose their hair to some degree. Lots of the "normal" guys on the subway in 2007 will be progressing up the Norwood scale in a few years time. In fact, as developed societies get older, expect relatively more male pattern baldness.

I agree. This is what I was getting at. But losing your hair to some degree is a very liberl term. My grandather lost his hair to some degree... his hairline moved back an inch in 70 years. That is still for the most considered a full head of hear.

f*****g old guys and their perfect hair. At least they can't f*** as much as me. No pill cures a broken hip and weak heart.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
Itsonlyinmyhead said:
workout instead. Work on your shoulders the most. Why? Cuz it help build the structure of the neck and face. Giving you a masculine appearance

what specific exercises would people recommend?

seated shoulder press (dumbbells)
military press
side lateral raises with dumbbells
bent over lateral raises with dumbbells

youll have cannon delts in no time ;)

powersam

Reaction score
often times when i do military press it doesnt seem to work the delts, rather the traps. and its really hard for me not to arch my back. if i do them behind the neck though the results seem pretty good. is there any problem with behind the neck military pressing?

i have that problem a bit though, supposed delt exercises working out my traps. i probably need to do more shoulder stretching or something?

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
trust me...you are working your delts. personally i dont recommend doing behind the neck presses b/c for MOST people they are bad for your rotator cuffs. I recommend seated dumbbell presses make sure you keep ur *** and upper back against the padding. anymore Qs just PM me b/c i dont want to hijack the thread. thanks.