Alan's Story - (Age 21 ) Updated!

Alan21

Reaction score
Re: Alan's Story - (Age 21 )

Ok so after 8 months of daily 1.25 mg fincar and 1% nizoral 2-3 times a week, here are some results.

However, in the last month or so I've noticed major hairloss above my right temple :(

What can i do to reverse the receding hairline, increase the finasteride ?

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
Re: Alan's Story - (Age 21 )

looks like your crown has thickened ...........GREAT!!!

your temples are fine still in the realm of NW1-NW2
so i wouldn't worry too much about it

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
Alan21 said:
Help! :(

its only my right temple, my left is perfectly fine. Why is this happening?

well your hairline in turning into an more pronounced nw2 IMO

what can you do about it.....
well you could add minoxidil to your regiment
but that may not help it, so it's kind of a gamble

personally i would wait and see what happens
i have a feeling the hairline will stabilize
and you can always get an hair transplant later on '

it's not very common for a man to have a straight hairline his whole life unfortunately

so to answer your question "why is this happening"
your becoming a man

look at your dads hairline, im sure it looks similar to your progression

barcafan

Reaction score
holy sh*t thats quite a bit of thinning in such a short period of time. but its probably the move from NW1 To NW2 which happens to alot of ppl

Tyler_Durden

Established Member
Reaction score
I swear to god Propecia hates hairlines... It has done exactly the same thing to mine.
I've read some people saying that the hairline could be more susceptible to testosterone and the increase of free test. from propecia could explain it.

This dudes hairline was perfect, it thinned pretty severely... Just seems a bit weird.
Anyways I'd probably start thinking about applying minoxidil to it dude, although you say it is only on the right side so it may just be a shed...
Do you have any front on pictures of your hairline from when you started? The pics in your opening post are pretty much focused just on the crown.

Alan21

Reaction score
I'll have some more pics up tomorrow, and yes its only on my right side that its thinning. So far I've been really optimistic it's just a "shed", considering it's only on the right side...

I have to say though, when it first started about a month ago I had started doing mild leg workouts. From what i understand working the leg muscles releases testosterone... Could this be the reason ?

eth0

Established Member
Reaction score
Most men's temples recede, even men with absolutley no male pattern baldness.
It's actually part of becoming a man and it's known as a mature hairline.
Before they recede it's more of a childs hariline.

I'd continue to ride it out and see what happens. Chances are it'll stabalise at a NW2 and you'll be good from there on in.

Alan21

Reaction score
Ok so i'll be posting some new pictures in a bit. Since my last photos I've been letting the hair grow longer on top, only getting a trim every month or so. Lately I have noticed more shedding and the center of my hairline has become very thin... pics coming soon

Alan21

Reaction score

pics were taken while my hair was wet, my crown has stabilized but my temples have not :(

eth0

Established Member
Reaction score
looks like a mature hairline to me. I wish my temples were that good

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score
eth0 said:
looks like a mature hairline to me. I wish my temples were that good

People need to stop calling everything a "mature hairline!" There is obvious miniaturization along the hairline which is a telltale sign of male pattern baldness. A mature hairline is something that happens to young men without hair-loss.

G

wow in all your previous pictures i thought you were african american by looking at your hair.

you hair is now very thick, be thankful for that. your hairline actually looks real good to me. I think its kind of weird looking to see a mature man in mid 20's or early 30's with a perfectly straight hairline. stick with your regimen and possibly start adding minoxidil to your temples. see what happens.

Alan21

Reaction score
thank you all for the comments, however, i continue to see hairloss in the area shown below:

it's not just the temples, but the center as well :(

current regime:
nizoral atleast 3 times a week
1.25mg fincar daily (5mg cut into 4)

should i switch to 1mg finastride? will it be more effective than splitting the 5mg? Should i switch shampoos (ie: Revita) ?

Alan21

Reaction score
Well here are some pics from today, i've noticed a significant amout of loss over the last few weeks... I'm afraid despite the daily dosage of finasteride, it's all down hill from here on. I'll continue the finasteride and nizoral but at this rate I'll be sporting a buzz cut in a month or so... :(

i1wqcy.jpg

2j4o608.jpg

20qhtg5.jpg

20gbbq0.jpg

Starscream

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It' s normal, right temple is always the worst. We all follow the same path in the temples: the left one receed in a straight line while the right one looks like eaten away.
Your hairloss is similar to mine. It is not a mature hairline, it' s the first (or early second) stage of the Norwood pattern.
Propecia is the best treatment in my opinion.
It is clearly visible in my vertex and in yours that the initial thinning show two lateral points and a line between. Classic Androgenetic Alopecia.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Alan21

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, I notice your center line doesn't reach your forehead like mine (unless i cant see it because of the lighting). Anyways, I was really confident up until now that i would continue my progression.. Is it possible I'm going through a shed after a year and a half of daily finasteride?

Starscream

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Alan21 said:
Thanks for the feedback, I notice your center line doesn't reach your forehead like mine (unless i cant see it because of the lighting). Anyways, I was really confident up until now that i would continue my progression.. Is it possible I'm going through a shed after a year and a half of daily finasteride?

With finasteride I solved my problems. I don' t have the hairline of when I was 16 but I stopped receeding and my vertex is thicker. Periodic sheds are possible, they are natural I think, but they can' t be too heavy.
Anyway keep on fina and don' t stop it. I stopped for six months and it was a mistake.
If you want to see my temples check my thread, I' ll post new pictures in a few days.