anyone subconsciously wearing hats more often these days?

s.a.f

Reaction score
Well the majority of them are old guys so they probably did'nt have any options but I'd bet anything that given the chance for a miracle cure they'd all change their minds.
To say that theres nothing negative about baldness is stupid the fact that this site has 1000's of members is proof that baldness is not a good thing.
Yes I hate what m.p.b has done to me emotionally and mentaly but I dont hate myself for not wanting to accept what I believe is a unfair and cruel condition. IMO its just a fact baldness is a shitty thing to suffer and there's nothing wrong with doing all you can to combat it.

FreeloaderUK

Established Member
Reaction score
one thing sly bald guys should do is STOP shaving their heads- then we'll see if being bald is attractive or not.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
If you think about balding objectively then there is nothing really "bad" about it, other than having less insulation on the top of your head. Everything negative that we associate with balding has been taught to us by our culture. It is an idea that torments us, not a life threatening disease. Weather you choose to resist the hand that nature has dealt you or exhalt it, both perspectives have an element of denial and each have their own justifications. For you and many others S.A.F. you have chosen to change the physical to conform to the "idea" while the "slys" have chosen to change the idea to conform to the physical. Hope you can understand where I'm coming from. :mrgreen:

s.a.f

Reaction score
Yeah but although its societies discrimination we all have to live in this society.

HatPrisoner91

Experienced Member
Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
If you think about balding objectively then there is nothing really "bad" about it, other than having less insulation on the top of your head. Everything negative that we associate with balding has been taught to us by our culture. It is an idea that torments us, not a life threatening disease. Weather you choose to resist the hand that nature has dealt you or exhalt it, both perspectives have an element of denial and each have their own justifications. For you and many others S.A.F. you have chosen to change the physical to conform to the "idea" while the "slys" have chosen to change the idea to conform to the physical. Hope you can understand where I'm coming from. :mrgreen:

But there is no denying what looks pleasing to the eye and what does not. Yes society shapes it in many ways but it goes a certain way for a reason. That reason being because most agree with it.

Norsk

Established Member
Reaction score
HatPrisoner91 said:
But there is no denying what looks pleasing to the eye and what does not. Yes society shapes it in many ways but it goes a certain way for a reason. That reason being because most agree with it.

Prejudices of our culture have been ingrained in us since birth, so it's easy to forget they are there, and assume they are objective truths. But what looks pleasing to the eye, varies a lot from culture to culture, and from era to era. For example, being fat has been a beauty ideal in earlier times (and still is in some cultures). Being really pale was seen as attractive not too long ago, when only the rich could afford to stay out of the sun (maybe it had to do with some racist ideas, too), now you're supposed to have a "healthy tan". In our time, most people seem to agree that black men tend to look good with a shaved head, but not white men. Maybe that's because we're more used to seeing them like that? Sooner or later beauty standards will change again, it's not inconceivable that the "shaved look" (to the bone, not stubble) could come to be seen as more attractive for white men, too. Not that I think this will happen soon.

Ackers24

Reaction score
really if u think about it..the more people that decide to shave there heads instead of trying to fight baldness will actually help it become more and more accepted cos they'll be more people around with shaved heads..so people will get used too seeing it more and more

s.a.f

Reaction score
Yes but we will still always be the minority, and having hair will always be viewed as a more appealing look. Also how long does it take for a look to become more accepted?

I hate the assumption that just because someone has any degree of hairloss they should feel obliged to shave it all off. To me a diffuse or a NW2.5 or even a NW3 still looks better than a shaved head.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Yes but we will still always be the minority, and having hair will always be viewed as a more appealing look. Also how long does it take for a look to become more accepted?

I hate the assumption that just because someone has any degree of hairloss they should feel obliged to shave it all off. To me a diffuse or a NW2.5 or even a NW3 still looks better than a shaved head.

Depends on the level of diffusion. Jack Nicholson in the 70's/80's diffusion looks horrible grown out. I can't really think of anyone whose level of diffusion would justify growing it out, it usually looks f*****g groce. When the thinning becomes visible to everyone, it's time to buzz or shave. Oh, so you have something against shaved heads in general? Oh, now I see where you're coming from.

slowburn

Established Member
Reaction score
Maybe in the winter I will...

cuebald

Reaction score
I believe it was Cassin that said Hats are a young man's Toupée

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
I still assert that it is normal and understandable why someone with extreme hairloss would want to hide it or cover it up. There are people out there that expect you to be ashamed of being bald and want you to cover it up. They look at me without the hat as if to say "How could you bring yourself to walk around like that in public?" Like they are embarrassed for me. This prevalent inhospitable attitude in general will continue to encourage bald guys like me to stay hidden.

qball01

Established Member
Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
I still assert that it is normal and understandable why someone with extreme hairloss would want to hide it or cover it up. There are people out there that expect you to be ashamed of being bald and want you to cover it up. They look at me without the hat as if to say "How could you bring yourself to walk around like that in public?" Like they are embarrassed for me. This prevalent inhospitable attitude in general will continue to encourage bald guys like me to stay hidden.

thats a shame to hear...I thought you were consciously making an effort to be seen without the hat? So you're saying you felt enough hate and prejudice in a couple of weeks to offset the new attitude?

karl_h

Established Member
Reaction score
I wear a hat in the summer when it is very hot. It helps me to stay cool. If it is not very hot, I do not wear a hat.

I don't like the looks that people give you when you are losing your hair but at the same time I don't like my hair to get messed up. When meeting up with friends or in the office, I want my hair to look its best.

Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:

I've just had a thought, do you have any hair on the sides of your head or do you razor it?

Maybe people think you have cancer or something, hence the staring? I get people staring but it's not as bad as you describe...

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Well maybe not for you or for anyone else who still has their hair thus more immune to such scrutiny. People say things like this don't happen to often or they are being misinterpreted but walk around with a obvious horseshoe for a week and see how differently people treat you, then come back and tell me I'm trippin. And to Qball, just because I recognize the situation doesn't mean I'm not trying to change it. I'm trying to not give their opinions power over me. I still know what they are thinking, the only difference now is I am trying not to care. Understood?

Reaction score
Yeah, but you didn't answer my question.

Since i've buzzed it I look damn bald. I'm a NW3 diffuse throughout the front and back with a fist sized bald spot at the back, bit thicker in the middle, basically i'm about a year away from being a nw4 as I can't tolerate propecia, and my scalp can't handle rogaine. I tried about 18 months ago and had to quit after three months, didn't see any improvements either. I also have a gap in the middle of what;s left of my hairline, i'm basically fucked... and my hairline is quite far back with big receding patches which have gaps in them, I don't even know if it's worth my time trying to save what's left, don't even know how i'll go about it without the two most effective treatments.

You're not the only suffering you know :) it sucks tough.

s.a.f

Reaction score
dudemon said:
[I mean, are guys on here really having side effects from it, or is it just all in their heads?

Probably abit of both, the guys on finasteride and not having any problems dont post about it, but those who are having sides make a big fuss about it telling everyone its poison.
But yeah I believe theres a kind of placebo effect if you go looking for sides you'll find them.

Reaction score
I don't take your post personal. I've been lurking on this site on and off for a few months, and i know i'm not alone in side effects. I don't hate propecia, using this site you see some with good success, but for me i feel totally out of whack when taking it and my nipples were tender...probably what it feels like for breastfeeding mothers, not to mention a decrease in libido.

I've ordered Dr lees spironolactone creame and have already started nizoral, may as well try and keep what i have left as it is better to have some up there than none.

I'm not a big hat wearer, i look like a chump