Are some people cursed?

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
let's face it, this is a shitty time to be looking for a job. tons of qualified, experienced people have been laid off, and are all competing for a limited number of jobs.

i'm thankful everyday to have a decent job that i enjoy (office stuff, but good people). i went about 2 months without a job and it got more and more stressful everyday. i think if i got laid off i would walk into a temp agency tomorrow, just to be working. i did before i got this job, and they were going to give me a $14/hour job at Citigroup (funny they just laid off 50k workers) because I know my way decently around an Excel spreadsheet

yeah temp jobs don't pay well, and there are ridiculous rules - like if i was going to be late i was supposed to call the temp agency, who would call the place i worked etc. (bullshit). but that looks better on the resume than McDonald's and if you go all out who knows what connections you might make or where you could end up.

but yeah - i wouldn't necessarily blame yourself - there are tons of very educated, qualified people living at home with no jobs right now.

Hammer87

Established Member
Reaction score
BB12, I know how it feels. - I have a law degree and a post graduate qualification, yet can't even get a law job offering an awful salary.

The problem is, in this climate and the fact that universities are cherning out degrees to every man and his dog has significantly lowered the value of a degree from what it was 30 years ago. A graduate rarely walks into a $40k a year job anymore straight from college.

I accept this, which is why if my job hunt leads no where within the next month I'm going to be taking any sort of work I can - Then prove myself once within the company.

If you don't accept this, you'll end up like my mother's cousin, 40 years old, lives with his parents, no job. Any job that comes along 'f*** that, I have a degree for f*** sake!'. Because everyone has a degree now, experience is what counts.

elvis123

Established Member
Reaction score
getting a high paid job right out of college or university nowadays require connections and who you know...

experience is good but it will take some time to work up the ranks

BlahBlah12

Established Member
Reaction score
Hammer87 said:
If you don't accept this, you'll end up like my mother's cousin, 40 years old, lives with his parents, no job. Any job that comes along 'f*ck that, I have a degree for f*ck sake!'. Because everyone has a degree now, experience is what counts.
:freaked: :freaked:
thats my biggest fear

and yea college degrees today are like high school diplomas. hell, even MBA's and advanced degrees are now becoming irrelevant.
Its always about who you know, not what you know. Especially in todays market, managers are more inclined to hire those who get vouched for by current workers. its easier, less expensive, and more reliable. theres are the harsh facts in reality.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
So many people believe in karma. I understand the need to feel like there is some comprehendable order to the universe, that rewards the good and punishes the bad. In my experience, anything resembling karma was just coincidence. Assholes get away with so much and still manage to reap rewards unfamiliar to me. They are getting away with murder while good, decent people are getting screwed. It's random (like this post), chaotic and always will be. I don't believe that everything happens for a reason. Reason is a man made construct that is not a law of the universe that can be superimposed onto the mystery. Reality can not be controlled, defined or accurately predicted. It is what it is...but one thing it isn't is fair.

s.a.f

Reaction score
I agree 100% there is no higher force and no big plan things just happen, its random chance. We make our own choices and take whatever consequences arise. I've seen too many examples in my life to believe anything else.

Having said that I still cant go out into the world and behave like a complete bastard I just have too much conscience.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
My problem with karma is that it allows people not to feel sympathy or compassion for anyone who has suffered loss or a run of bad luck, because according to karma...they must have done something to deserve it. When the truth is that bad things happen to good people and visa versa.

s.a.f

Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
My problem with karma is that it allows people not to feel sympathy or compassion for anyone who has suffered loss or a run of bad luck, because according to karma...they must have done something to deserve it.
Hmm, I dont know about that I think generally people usually do have sympathy.

uncomfortable man said:
When the truth is that bad things happen to good people and visa versa.
This is definitly true. :agree:

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Yes, for the most part people are sympathetic (not so much for something like hairloss, but I think that comes from a lack of understanding), but in those cases where someone gets what they deserve, it's chalked up to karma instead of chance. People just want life to make sense, but well...

s.a.f

Reaction score
Yep, the karma theory is like religion just thought up to explain the things we cant really explain.

Petchsky

Reaction score
People like nice easy explanations, or things that are logical, as opposed to the absolute randomness that actually exists.

barcafan

Reaction score
Petchsky said:
People like nice easy explanations, or things that are logical, as opposed to the absolute randomness that actually exists.

While others feel that it's easier to rationalize their flaws or misfortunes as being completely random and out of their control.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
barcafan said:
Petchsky said:

While others feel that it's easier to rationalize their flaws or misfortunes as being completely random and out of their control.
It is. Tell me, is it my fault that I was born with the male pattern baldness gene or anyone else born with some sort of defect? They are not responsible for that and to suggest otherwise is completely unfair and ludicrious. You can say that they must have done something wrong in a past life, but what good does that do since nobody knows for sure?

BlahBlah12

Established Member
Reaction score
barcafan said:
Petchsky said:

Misfortune is the opposite of fortune which defined means "The chance happening of fortunate or adverse events"
So you are contradicting yourself when u say people rationalize misfortune as being random, because that's exactly what it is.

Flaws do not imply misfortune. Flawed people can have good fortune and the opposite is true as well.

Smooth

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Petchsky said:
Well its all matter of perspective , what you define as "absolute randomness" might just be "gods will" or "karma".... everyone is entitled to belive whatever they want.. just as i cant prove to you that god exists, you cant really prove that everything in life is random, moreover, no one can prove anything, or in Socrates worlds "there is no truth except that there is no truth" .. :/

barcafan

Reaction score
BlahBlah12 said:
barcafan said:
Petchsky said:

Misfortune is the opposite of fortune which defined means "The chance happening of fortunate or adverse events"
So you are contradicting yourself when u say people rationalize misfortune as being random, because that's exactly what it is.

Flaws do not imply misfortune. Flawed people can have good fortune and the opposite is true as well.

Semantics bro, which leads me to believe you have no real argument.

barcafan

Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
barcafan said:
Petchsky said:

It is. Tell me, is it my fault that I was born with the male pattern baldness gene or anyone else born with some sort of defect? They are not responsible for that and to suggest otherwise is completely unfair and ludicrious. You can say that they must have done something wrong in a past life, but what good does that do since nobody knows for sure?

That's the whole point, nobody knows. I'm not saying that karma is 'correct' or even REAL, but i don't think life is as black and white as you guys claim. You might say that male pattern baldness has marred your life but another might say that it changed their perspective on life and made them stronger (Or if they're a religious person, it was 'god's' will ---Which i personally dont like hearing all that much ;))

Petchsky

Reaction score
Smooth said:
"there is no truth except that there is no truth" .. :/

True, but not really :hairy:

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Smooth said:
Petchsky said:
Well its all matter of perspective , what you define as "absolute randomness" might just be "gods will" or "karma".... everyone is entitled to belive whatever they want.. just as i cant prove to you that god exists, you cant really prove that everything in life is random, moreover, no one can prove anything, or in Socrates worlds "there is no truth except that there is no truth" .. :/
I would expect as much from reading your quote, but Socrates only supports my point. The more you know, the stupider you become or the wisest man admits he knows nothing are just a couple more sayings that infer the mysterious nature of life and it's lack of order. For barcafan, the very nature of karma is black and white, as much as cause and effect (same thing). I can't really deny the immediate nature of cause and effect, like you punch a brick wall, your hand is gonna hurt or if you go on a two week crack binge and don't return your boss's calls, then chances are you are going to get fired. I'm not dismissing personal responsibility, but there are things that are beyond our control. It gets more complicated the more you think about it.