bob's story - (25 years old and diffuse)

bobs

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I am 24 years old, turning 25 this summer. These last 5-6 months have been really emotionally difficult. It all started
last summer. I always kept long and wavy hair so I assume that hairloss was going on behind the scenes so to speak without me noticing it and not expecting it because very few in my family have male pattern baldness. My father (the only one very close to me genetically with early-male pattern baldness) hair started falling out when he was 30 and he was nw4-5 four years later, now at fifty he is nw6. Anyway last summer was crap, I got a very demanding job and stressed out completely with it, having nervous breakdowns and all kinds of crap, really shitty anyway. It wasn't just a job but my first after college and I had a lot of things going through my mind, moving to a new apartment, breaking up with a g/f and well, all this took the better out of me.
Towards the end of the summer I went to my hairdresser and asked for some conditioner and she gave me what she claimed to be something very strong. I must say that I was never happy with my hair even before hairloss. It was all over the place and impossible to style. I had to use like a handfull of gel to get it down, most of the part I just had it curled up and didn't bother too much with it, now I just wanted to straighten it a bit and make it softer. Anyway, I had my hair cut and used this conditioner everyday for a long time ( I found out I was supposed to use it just once in a while much later ) Well I dont know how much this played in but like a month after summer I panicked when I looked in the mirror, my hair was diffuse all over the front and I could see scalp under very very very thin hair. I asked my parents about it and they said I imagined it all, I aksed my hairdresser the next time and she said she didn't see anything. I went to a dermatologist in december, horrible experience. She looked at my hair for two seconds and said it was male pattern baldness and asked if I wanted Propecia. I told her about the summer-stress and the conditioner and she had my blood tested which showed nothing at all. I wouldn't trust that doctor for a second, she was old, very old, and very rude too; She sighed when I asked her questions and crap. Well I decided to wait and thought that if it was Telogen Effluvium it should just grow back. Well it didnt get much better, In fact I think it got worse. And well if I was stressed in summer I have been even more stressed now because of this crap. I buzzed my hair twice and it looks okay since I am diffusing but I have a weird shape (assymetrical bump at the back, like 0,5cm, im like wtf?) and it's a embarrasing to have it buzzed, I would obviously rather have hair.

I have been thinking about finasteride but have been afraid of two things; the frontal-loss issue and side-effects. the hair at the back of my head is still thick and that is where it is supposed to work best. Anyway I have some finasteride at home now, my uncle is a doctor and he can get me some for very cheap (proscar) and I got some Nizoral ready so my plan is this:

I will wait until after summer, if things get worse I will jump on them two and use them for a year before deciding on minoxidil.
If things get better I will work very hard with just getting on with my life.

I really hope for new treaments. When you think about it what is out now is not really great. And I believe that within 2-3 years something will come out, either osh101, early hm (I wouldnt use it until at least after 2-3 years with it being out, used and documented). Or some other stuff.

What bothers me far more than loosing hair is being so obsessed with it. I feel its like I lost my youth and all. I wouldnt care if I lost my hair at 35 or 40, that would be almost expected but this is too early.

Anyway, thought I just tell you my story, if I start on finasteride/nizoral as I probably will I will keep you updated on how it goes.

k3nn7i

Established Member
Reaction score
My dad also start to lose his hair at a much later age. probably 35-37. and here I am, having a hairloss too, but at a much earlier age of 21.

well, do update your thread here

barcafan

Reaction score
use the Propecia+nizoral for at least a year before deciding if its doing you any good. I still consider you in decent shape because your father didnt lose it very early.... My dad lost all of his hair at 24 and i started at 16, im guessing even with treatment i wont have anything less than a 2.5 @ 30 years.

bobs

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply guys.

Yes if I get on finasteride+nizoral, which I probably will, I will keep it up for atleast a year and if I have no sides from finasteride I will probably keep it up for five years or until something better comes out.

bobs

Established Member
Reaction score
Well,

I got on finasteride 1.25mg/day on sunday. Couldn't wait, felt I was loosing more and more and it felt stupid waiting. I have had some ball-ache but I will wait it out and see what happens, read that it is pretty common at first but then goes away.
I'm also on 1% nizoral.

Well, I'm just praying it goes well for I'm tired of this crap and its a relief to actually do something about it.

G

He got Proscar from his uncle.

@Bobs: I am at your age and for me Finpecia stopped the temple recession after a few months, but the thinning all over the head continues. So, yes, finasteride is also good for temple recession.

Good Luck, mate!

chain

Reaction score
Do you know whether I can substitute Nizoral for another shampoo, which also has 2% Ketokonazole?

bobs

Established Member
Reaction score
Chain,
Some countries have other schampos with ket.
Check with your pharmacy.

Taug, cheers, keep it up.

bobs

Established Member
Reaction score
3 week update:

Side effects: The ball-ache goes up and down. Libido increased in the beginning but has gone to normal now. The ball-ache is not over yet, but I am not overly worried, even if it bothers me.

Shedding: Too early to say really but I feel it has started, I have more hair lying around and funny things is that they are all shorter and lighter than my 'normal' hair, which I take as a good sign.

I'm dedicated to keep finasteride going for atleast 14-15 months before I decide if it is working for me or not.

I also think I will buzz my hair down to 9mm. Did this twice this year, looks OK when it is that short, my hair grows rather fast so after two, three weeks I should buzz it again. Anyway, will post pictures later after summer.

And I'm really eager both for icx and neosh results to come up and to be honest, more so for the neosh than icx.

WorldofWarcraft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
bobs said:
3 week update:

Side effects: The ball-ache goes up and down. Libido increased in the beginning but has gone to normal now. The ball-ache is not over yet, but I am not overly worried, even if it bothers me.

Shedding: Too early to say really but I feel it has started, I have more hair lying around and funny things is that they are all shorter and lighter than my 'normal' hair, which I take as a good sign.

I'm dedicated to keep finasteride going for atleast 14-15 months before I decide if it is working for me or not.

I also think I will buzz my hair down to 9mm. Did this twice this year, looks OK when it is that short, my hair grows rather fast so after two, three weeks I should buzz it again. Anyway, will post pictures later after summer.

And I'm really eager both for icx and neosh results to come up and to be honest, more so for the neosh than icx.

It feels good swallowing that pill. Its like, "yes I am actually able to fight this somehow."

kalbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: bob's story

bobs said:
Well, I am 24 years old, turning 25 this summer. These last 5-6 months have been really emotionally difficult. It all started
last summer. I always kept long and wavy hair so I assume that hairloss was going on behind the scenes so to speak without me noticing it and not expecting it because very few in my family have male pattern baldness. My father (the only one very close to me genetically with early-male pattern baldness) hair started falling out when he was 30 and he was nw4-5 four years later, now at fifty he is nw6. Anyway last summer was crap, I got a very demanding job and stressed out completely with it, having nervous breakdowns and all kinds of crap, really shitty anyway. It wasn't just a job but my first after college and I had a lot of things going through my mind, moving to a new apartment, breaking up with a g/f and well, all this took the better out of me.
Towards the end of the summer I went to my hairdresser and asked for some conditioner and she gave me what she claimed to be something very strong. I must say that I was never happy with my hair even before hairloss. It was all over the place and impossible to style. I had to use like a handfull of gel to get it down, most of the part I just had it curled up and didn't bother too much with it, now I just wanted to straighten it a bit and make it softer. Anyway, I had my hair cut and used this conditioner everyday for a long time ( I found out I was supposed to use it just once in a while much later ) Well I dont know how much this played in but like a month after summer I panicked when I looked in the mirror, my hair was diffuse all over the front and I could see scalp under very very very thin hair. I asked my parents about it and they said I imagined it all, I aksed my hairdresser the next time and she said she didn't see anything. I went to a dermatologist in december, horrible experience. She looked at my hair for two seconds and said it was male pattern baldness and asked if I wanted Propecia. I told her about the summer-stress and the conditioner and she had my blood tested which showed nothing at all. I wouldn't trust that doctor for a second, she was old, very old, and very rude too; She sighed when I asked her questions and crap. Well I decided to wait and thought that if it was Telogen Effluvium it should just grow back. Well it didnt get much better, In fact I think it got worse. And well if I was stressed in summer I have been even more stressed now because of this crap. I buzzed my hair twice and it looks okay since I am diffusing but I have a weird shape (assymetrical bump at the back, like 0,5cm, im like wtf?) and it's a embarrasing to have it buzzed, I would obviously rather have hair.

I think the large amount of gel played a role in it too. When I was in my early teens, the messy out-of-bed look wasn't really in and the neat, flat, gel infested hair was what most people in my age group had. Unfortunately, I too had unmanageable hair (it was really thick) so I had to resort to using pounds of gel and a hairdryer to keep the hair down. Well, it wasn't long until I started noticing lots of hair falling out and seeing my scalp under certain lighting conditions. When I was approaching 17, it was becoming really hard to hide the thinning when it was covered in gel, so I decided to buzz my head and never grow my hair again.

Well after buzzing the head and eliminating the use of gel, I noticed the hair loss stopped almost completely. I was still losing hair, but it wasn't until I was 24/25 when it started to really get out of hand (I was a nw2.5 with frontal thinning).

The gel wasn't the main cause for going bald, but I believe it accelerated the hair loss quite a bit.

bobs

Established Member
Reaction score
chain,

Neosh101 is a new product being tested for alopecia
check out http://www.neosil.com for ph2a results. It might be on the market in between 2-5 years or never if side effects are bad or its not effective enough. However, trials so far show that it is effective + no side effects so things are looking good. Besides neosil is a bit of a hot topic imho,
people taking notice of the trials are are great dermatologists or medical professionals (Eugene Bauer + Vera Price).

ICX is hair multiplication
check out http://www.intercytex.com

chain

Reaction score
Thanks man!!

"I have been thinking about finasteride but have been afraid of two things; the frontal-loss issue.."

Does it mean that finasteride causes frontal loss?
Is it permanent or it gets back to normal after some period on the drug?

chain

Reaction score
Bobs,

Having in mind that hair transplant costs a little fortune( at least in Europe) I believe that HM will be much more expensive.
Do you have more info about Neosil?

bobs

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Chain,

Well, from what I have read on these forums some people have exprienced frontal-loss while on finasteride or dutasteride. I can't speak for them but it has happened. The question is how much fault finasteride or dutasteride had to do with it, would it have happened otherwise too? Frontal hair is a b**ch, it seems to be much more sensitive to Testosteron and DHT than other hair. However, as reassurance, there has been a study made that showed finasteride to be effective on frontal hair, so there you go.

I would say a good thumbrule is to try and decide what kind of genetics you are dealing with and what kind of pattern your hairloss got, if your father went from nw1 to nw4 in a year then you could insert as much dutasteride, finasteride and other stuff as you want and you would still loose some.

About Neosil,
There is plenty of information about neosh101, most interesting is that it doesn't walk the traditional route to promote hair-growth or keep what you got (minoxidil or finasteride), it doesn't work with DHT but through other ways, like BMP, I don't know enough about it to describe it but it seems effective.

It has been tested for years, it was first owned by some company called Osteoscreen and they were using it to do other stuff, grow bones or something, and found out it can promote hair growth. It passed phase1 tests and they were heading for phase2 when it was licensed to Neosil, that is back in 2005. 2007 Neosil announced positive ph2a results and since then things have been going fast.

the highlights:
*) They got some more money (10m$) from some investor company.
*) They got another ph2 (ph2c) trial going and a ph2b trial going.
So that will sum it up to 3 ph2 trials all in all after these two.

My guess is; around end of 2007/beginning of 2008 they will either start with ph3 trials/drop the product/release it in Europe.

Chain, don't get a hair transplant unless you really know what you are doing or got a good surgeon.

person

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hi bobs (A.N Wilson?), Firstly what people are saying finasteride caused frontal hair loss because that has really worried me now. Secondly this neosil product just looks like a weaker minoxidil and what's the point in that? It doesn't even block dht big deal.

bobs

Established Member
Reaction score
Person,
Read around a bit, you will find more information than I got.

About neosil being weaker than minoxidil, what makes you think that?
And blocking DHT is great for preventing hair-loss, for regrowing hair it's not that strong.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
if you want your hair, quit complaining about the cost. lol