Can hair loss ruin modeling career?

Smooth

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Title says it all..... your thoughts please. (examples for either "yes" or "no" are more then welcome! :devil: )

Gene_Fighter

Established Member
Reaction score
Certainly, yeah. Think of it: have you seen any models lately with large foreheads and receding hairlines, or large bald-spots on their crowns? The totally shaved look can work for some models, though.

However I think most models are so self-conscious of their looks that they will notice their hairloss coming from a mile away, so they will fight against it, or it won't be a surprise, at least.

rcom440

Reaction score
Smooth said:
Title says it all..... your thoughts please. (examples for either "yes" or "no" are more then welcome! :devil: )

No. there are a lot of guys who are super models who have shaved heads!!!!

Smooth

Experienced Member
Reaction score
rcom440 said:
Smooth said:

Lets talk about NW6 / Nw7, give me an example please.

toocoolforhair

Established Member
Reaction score
I've seen male fashion models with buzzcuts, but their hairlines have always been Norwood 1. The only ones I've seen completely bald are all dark-skinned. I've never seen an obviously balding fashion model. Hair loss will kill a modelling career unless you are already famous like Fredrik Ljungberg.

Hair loss reduces your physical attractiveness so it is no surprise that it can ruin a modelling career. Models have to look perfect. Hair loss is an imperfection.

toocoolforhair

Established Member
Reaction score
Unless you want to be a male model I wouldn't be too worried. You can still look great with hair loss, just not perfect.

ali777

Reaction score
Well... Modeling is a very strange career.

I know for a fact I'm not photogenic, even if I did look decent in the flesh, I still wouldn't make it... There are couple girls in my facebook friends list, who for me are below average but they look great in photos....

Then there is the whole issue of size zero. Most of the female models are ugly in real life. I went to uni with a top model, she was almost 6ft, nice shoulders and posture, very slim, and she looked good on the catwalk... However, I never thought she was good looking, she was too slim...

Oh, once I went to a party organised by a modeling agency, I used to have a model friend. Again, most of the girls and the guys there were nothing more than the girls and boys next door. Most of the girls were 15-18yo, slim, with no tits. (I got too drunk and I ended up embarrassing myself :sobbing:)

You see what I'm trying to do here??? I'm trying to discredit the models :whistle:

To come back to the subject.... The answer is probably NO, because the standards of modeling are not real.

Obsidian

Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere they actually force male models before they start modeling to shave their head, the reason being is if they can pull off a great look with hair than they should be able to without hair.

karl_h

Established Member
Reaction score
I think hair loss can make it tough to be a model. Most of the models that you see in advertisements don't have hair loss, so if you are a model that is losing your hair it would be hard to compete with the models that have great hair.

There might be a few models that are able to continue modeling even though they are losing their hair but I think that would be a small number.

Nashville Hairline

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I went through this months issue of Esquire magazine and all I could find was this receded guy modelling for Dunhill:

jude%20law%20dunhill%20advert%202.jpg

Hahah

and also a black dude modelling for johnlewis.com that is buzzed to a zero. Hard to tell if he's genuinely balding or a NW1 "going sly".

But yes, most of the models have full heads of hair - most of them are late teens or early twenties too. No facial hair either, for the most part. Androdgynous.

Smooth

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If i didnt know it was Jude Law id say he looks atleast 45 there....

rcom440

Reaction score
Smooth said:
rcom440 said:
Smooth said:

Lets talk about NW6 / Nw7, give me an example please.

NW6 / NW7 ? I was talking more of NW3-NW5. Most models are in the age group 18-34 so NW6-NW7 is out of the question unless they are much older.

cuebald

Reaction score
You've never seen a 20 year old NW6?

Reaction score
It depends on what you're modelling, although it will hurt your modelling career if you're a conventional model.

Jude Law looks good there, his hairloss is obviously worse than ever, but in a land where everyone is beautiful in the same way, the man who is different is king.

He also looks no where near 45! 35 yes.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
You guys act like Jude Law is over because of temple recession. He still has enough hair to get away with whatever. I would kill to have JL's hair, jeez! He is nowhere near NW5. :shakehead: Hairloss ruined my modeling career BTW. Sometimes that world likes to embrace oddities for a second so why not throw some handsome nw5's in the mix? :dunno:

karl_h

Established Member
Reaction score
I have not seen too many 20 year old men with a Norwood 6. I have seen men with a Norwood 6 on a more regular basis instead of maybe once in a while from the early thirties on.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
By saying yes, you are admitting social prejudice against bald people, just so you know.