Curious108's Story - (21, Unsure) UPDATED: 31 August 2010

die_hard

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Curious108's Story - 21, Unsure.

Curious108 said:
Just read this, on Propecia's own site:

There is not sufficient evidence that PROPECIA works for receding hairlines at the temples.

Is there much point in me taking this stuff then, if this is the case?

Yes, it will prevent it from getting worse

fromchicago

Established Member
Reaction score

hairline hair is different than the rest of the head's imo. it dies faster, so finistride won't be AS effective. It'll still work to some degree, but the faster you get on it the better. finasteride mostly helps hairs that haven't completely died, just miniaturized. hairline hairs don't have large miniaturization windows like the rest of the head.

Curious108

Established Member
Reaction score

I see.

Well on that note, what UK sites are best (preferably ones some of you have used) and I'll make an order :agree:

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: Curious108's Story - (21, Unsure)

I know your pain, frustration and paranoia in not knowing whether your losing your hair or not. Am 23, and have been losing ground in my temples since i was 18. My temples look the same as yours, maybe worse. You could just have a mature hairline however in which case dont worry about it as it is apart of growing up. Start worrying if your hairline progresses past a norwood 3 however, as this definetelly male pattern baldness. The best thing i remember using for this problem is minoxil 5% solution, however i quit due to sides. My hairloss question has been answered however since i have begun losing it on the crown, so now i know im balding, my current regimen seems to be working however (crown only).

Hammer87

Established Member
Reaction score

Petchsky said:
Not particulary. They just put that on their to cover their backs.

Believe it or not, propecia has a positive effect on muscle building, and is banned for balding footballers by FIFA, because it adds a competitive advantage. The Brazilian footballer Romario was banned for it.

Propecia isn't banned because it adds anything positive to a sportsman. It's banned because finasteride masks other drugs. Effectively, if it wasn't banned a player could take certain illegal steroids, and by taking it with finasteride aswell would only test positive for finasteride...then simply say 'Oh it's just for my hair'.

That's my understanding of it from reading the Stan Lazaridis case anyway.

Hammer87

Established Member
Reaction score

die_hard said:
Curious108 said:
Has anyone got any more advice for me on this?

Should I look into starting treatment now, or can I afford to wait for more obvious signs?

Your signs are as obvious as they should be. You hairloss is the exact same as mine. In a year or two you'll feel some thinning around the crown area and the peice in the front will start to break apart and grow thin as well. I posted my pics in the "die hard hairline" thread. check them out and you'll see it's time to start the treatment now. You'll likely regrow a bit of hair, but the goal is to maintain. Recieting hairlines look great, but thin hair does not.

-DH

However, not everyones hairloss is the same. I know a few guys who developed a similar hairline to the one shown in the first post and have kept it ever since. Just because yours developed past his doesn't mean his will.

As for the crown thinning, a lot of guys go completely bald at the front before the crown starts to thin (if it ever does, mine hasn't), look at Alan Shearer for example. So I wouldn't say for certain his would either.

Mitchem

Established Member
Reaction score

Curious108 said:
I see.

Well on that note, what UK sites are best (preferably ones some of you have used) and I'll make an order :agree:

Im in the same boat as you mate. I waited and waited and my hair just got worse.

Im going with just Proscar(cut into 1/5) and nizoral for now myself.

Proscar from here http://www.unitedpharmacies.com/Hair_page_1_c_3.html
Think it's 3rd page in at the top.

Im from the uk and get the nizoral from boots for around £8, and it's boots own brand.

Btw are you getting a itchy flakey scalp?

Hammer87

Established Member
Reaction score

Mitchem said:
Curious108 said:
I see.

Im in the same boat as you mate. I waited and waited and my hair just got worse.

Im from the uk and get the nizoral from boots for around £8, and it's boots own brand.

Boots? Do you need a prescription or can you just buy it in store? Also, what does the bottle look like?

Mitchem

Established Member
Reaction score

Hammer87 said:
Mitchem said:
Curious108 said:
I see.

Boots? Do you need a prescription or can you just buy it in store? Also, what does the bottle look like?

Hammer as in west ham?

Nizoral from Boots is about £9 but they have their own brand for about £7. The key ingredient is ketoconazole.
No perscription needed. I got the boots own brand it's in a red box. Just ask at counter they will no what you mean mate.

Hammer87

Established Member
Reaction score

lol yeh as in West Ham. Cheers mate, is that the 2% stuff or 1% stuff?

Curious108

Established Member
Reaction score

Mitchem said:
Curious108 said:
I see.

I do get an itchy flakey scalp, yeah. I've had that for years though, even before I noticed this happening.

I was given nizoral for that from the doctor ages ago.

This may sound silly, but one of my concerns about the pills was the ordering and delivering of it. I want to keep it private that I'm doing this so I was wondering how it was packaged? I want to avoid someone at home recieving the package before me and asking lots of questions as to why I'm on hair treatment. No one at home notices the recede that I have.

Mitchem

Established Member
Reaction score

Curious108 said:
Mitchem said:
Curious108 said:
I see.

I do get an itchy flakey scalp, yeah. I've had that for years though, even before I noticed this happening.

I was given nizoral for that from the doctor ages ago.

This may sound silly, but one of my concerns about the pills was the ordering and delivering of it. I want to keep it private that I'm doing this so I was wondering how it was packaged? I want to avoid someone at home recieving the package before me and asking lots of questions as to why I'm on hair treatment. No one at home notices the recede that I have.

I know where you are coming from, I did'nt want my family to know either.

It comes as a small white parcel, with nothing on the package. So you have nothing to worry about. Anything else just ask mate.

Curious108

Established Member
Reaction score

Been looking on that site and a few UK based ones.

I had no idea it cost so much.

Mitchem

Established Member
Reaction score

Curious108 said:
Been looking on that site and a few UK based ones.

I had no idea it cost so much.

£40-50 for 6months(when cut into 1/5) aint to bad and it's alot Cheaper than Propcia.

Curious108

Established Member
Reaction score

What is the difference between propecia and proscar btw?

Does proscar not have more harmful possible side effects?

Mitchem

Established Member
Reaction score

Curious108 said:

Proscar and Propcia are the same - both contain Finasteride.

Propcia has 1mg Proscar 5mg. So you cut the proscar into 1/5 and you get more for you money. I think boots do the Propcia for £90 every 3months, you can get a years supply of Proscar for that.

Curious108

Established Member
Reaction score

Mitchem said:
Curious108 said:

Propcia has 1mg Proscar 5mg. So you cut the proscar into 1/5 and you get more for you money. I think boots do the Propcia for £90 every 3months, you can get a years supply of Proscar for that.

Is it not hard to cut it up into the right amounts?

Doesn't it crumble?

Mitchem

Established Member
Reaction score

Curious108 said:
Mitchem said:
Curious108 said:

Is it not hard to cut it up into the right amounts?

Doesn't it crumble?

No it's quite easy, and they don't crumble. I think you can actully buy a pill cutter(which I keep meaning to buy) from the same place you buy the proscar from. If not when I find out where to buy it, I will let you know.

Curious108

Established Member
Reaction score

Oh I see, good news.

What do you use to cut it?

Last question there, probably. lol