Curious108's Story - (21, Unsure) UPDATED: 31 August 2010

Curious108

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Curious108's Story - (21, Unsure) 8 June - finasteride NEEDED?

Whats a guy gotta do to get someones opinion on here?

Curious108

Established Member
Reaction score

Well I have a doctors appointment tomorrow, hopefully I'll get some answers there.

Curious108

Established Member
Reaction score

Curious108 said:
Well I have a doctors appointment tomorrow, hopefully I'll get some answers there.

..Apparently not.

First of all he told me if I was going bald, there's nothing that can be done.

Then he had an immensely brief look at my hair, said there were no bald patches and said I probably have T.E.

So, no help there and no answers here.

Woop.

thebump98

Reaction score

Well i dunno what to tell ya ..I feel ya bud.. , I'm about to start my routine , but i dunno if i should go see a doctor first and or get blood work done..
[even tho like u said , u never get answers anyways , so it's kind of pointless.. i am not a fan of doctors at all.. ]

i know my hair as def. thinned out a lot over the past year/year and a half..
i don't need someone to tell me that but weather it's mbp or something else would be nice to know...

jimjams

Reaction score

Curious, what is the latest update?

I would say by now you should be on Propecia, hopefully. Reading through your thread it appears you were just delaying it because you were scared of the sides... don't believe all the scare storys, half of it is in their heads.

nizoral - alone, will not cure male pattern baldness.

Curious108

Established Member
Reaction score

Been a while since I've been on here, over a year it would seem and I've tried a lot of stuff which I'll update.

As noted on an earlier page, I did try nizoral and seemed to noticed shedding which I attributed to it. I'm not sure if it was a factor or not, my doctor convinced me it wasn't and until last week I've stayed on it throughout the last year and more (or however long it's been).

For that period of time I've never noticed a halt in shedding, and have tried a lot of treatments. I first tried Xandrox 15% for a few months (2 or 3?) but lost faith when I read reviews online that it wasnt really scientifically backed along with the fact it didnt have any effect on my shedding, which continued.

I realise this isn't long enough to judge a treatment, so don't take this as me condemning it, it's just what I've been through.

From there I tried Revivogen for nearly 3 months (almost finished one box of it) and spironolactone cream (1 month) and seen no halt in shedding so I gave up in favour of proscar rather than wasting time on treatments there wasnt as much science in favour of.

So I tried Proscar, 1.25mg a day (5mg quartered) and by the end of a week was having slight testicular 'discomfort' and difficulty maintaining an erection. I cut down to 1mg a day and the same problems continued. I then came off it for a period of time to see if my bodily functions would return to normal, which they did.

From here I tried 0.5mg a day and saw no side effects. However I was getting this 0.5mg by cutting 5mg proscar into 10 small pieces. It isn't actually that difficult but I wasn't all that confident how much I was really getting. I took proscar in this way for 1 month and 20 days, until (after some reading) I decided to go for 1mg (5mg cut into 5ths) every other day, which I have been doing for the past 4 days (so I've had 2 pills in those days) and no side effects yet that I can see.

So in summary, I've had finasteride in my system for 8 weeks. My shedding has not halted since starting finasteride, in fact I think perhaps it may have increased (hard to say), but my scalp has definitely got more itchy around the crown and frontal area.

As for my hair itself, it's just progressively got worse, as you'd expect from the constant shedding.

I've been taking a lot of pictures all of which are on my phone, which I need a cable for. I plan to order that tonight and hopefully get you guys some pics hopefully by the end of the week.

I have clear temple recession now and the frontal area is thinner, as is the crown. Thankfully this is not really noticible when my hair is natural or styled.

8 weeks into finasteride, obviously too early to tell if it's working or will work for me, but the constant shedding isn't lifting my hopes. Aside from that, I'm planning on moving from nizoral to T-Gel.

I'll update in due course.

Curious108

Established Member
Reaction score

Also, under what circumstances should I consider adding rogaine to my regimen?

Should I give finasteride it's 6 months first?

ivangennaro

Established Member
Reaction score
Dude I'm saying this for the 100th times but on a different topic but yes, it's normal to see some scalp while your hair is wet, spiked (messed) and lit by a strong flash from above. Even Cristiano Ronaldo does, LOL. Don't make yourself depressed by taking pictures of your wet hair with flash.

I think hairline should be your only problem. Rogaine is essential to the hairline but if I were you, I would jump on Rogaine when my thinning becomes very visible and bald patches start to show up. You're a NW2 which is not a big deal. My dad's been a NW2.5 for about 25 years. He says after becoming NW2.5, he stopped shedding. Lot's of people are like that. Maybe this hairline is your 'mature hairline'. You can't know that for sure. If I were you, I'd wait for a few years to see if things get worse and meanwhile maintain my hair with finasteride.

Curious108

Established Member
Reaction score
Those pictures are a year or two old now, so it's obviously gotten worse, although I wouldn't like to say how much. I'll take some pictures and let you guys decide for yourselves.

I guess you may be right about looking at my hair right, as when it's dry no one notices anything, perhaps I should be thankful for that.

Promising to hear about your dads situation. I'd count myself extremely lucky if I had a similar fate.

Would starting Rogaine when there are bald patches not be a bit late? Isn't it better at maintaining? I could be wrong, that's just what I believed about most hair loss meds.

ivangennaro

Established Member
Reaction score
Rogaine is a life long commitment. And a pain in the *** to apply everyday, everynight. When you give it up, all regrowth will be gone. It's your choice. Of course you'll get some regrowth. If you see that strength to use it regularly, then start. But as I said before, I think you should stick with finasteride for a few years and if when you think things start to get really worse; then you should jump onto Rogaine.

And as I said before. Nobody sees your hair as they seem in those photos. You know, with flash, wet and from above. %95 of the people would appear bald in photos under those circumstances. Don't be too downhearted by photos. If you're keen on photographing your hair do it under natural sunlight without flash. But having a hand mirror and getting against a bigger mirror and viewing your hair is the best and the most realistic option, LOL , I do that :)

Curious108

Established Member
Reaction score
Should get pictures in the next few days.

I've also noticed I'm thinning in the sideburn/above ear area and at the nape of my neck. Fantastic.

I don't know if that means I DON't have male pattern baldness, or if it's part of it, or if it's diffuse thinning. Literally clueless.