Dutasteride

fro

Established Member
Reaction score
hey, Cassin. I guess what I should be asking is, how do you avoid the hairline recession that all propecia responders switching to avodart get after a little while on avodart. Everyone who has been successful on propecia and then switched to avodart seems to be unhappy with their results. Why is that? There must be a strategy that someone has tried that cen help one avoid this fronatl shedding issue. A lot of the people on hairlosssite seem to be happy with their response, some are very upset with how they have responded, but those that are upset can be described as having been positive responders to propecia. Maybe by combining the two (finasteride and dutasteride) you can somehow avoid the shed?Just an idea.

G

dust

Hey Bryan,
My name is Gary and am a resident in the United Kingdom, I have been witnessing hairloss for about a year now and am beginning to notice alot of thinning but am still able to get away with it! but do not know much concerning hairloss treatments (am not overly intelligent!) I was very taken back by your studys which gave me an added insight, however living in the uk am not sure how to obtain the drug dustaride(spelling)! If you could mayb help me find how and treatments best for me that would be great, thanks very much Gary
My email address is gazzayelland@aol.com

Deaner

Reaction score
I wanna see a comparison to 1mg finasteride in the dutasteride trials, not just 5mg. I've heard that finasteride isn't really dosage related, and using 1mg is pretty much as effective as 5. Anybody know where we can find this kinda information?

Bismarck

Reaction score
Deaner said:
I wanna see a comparison to 1mg finasteride in the dutasteride trials, not just 5mg. I've heard that finasteride isn't really dosage related, and using 1mg is pretty much as effective as 5. Anybody know where we can find this kinda information?

If finasteride isn't dose dependent, why are 5 mg used to treat BPH (benigne prostate hyperblast :p ) and not 1mg ?

Cassin

Reaction score
Bismarck said:
Deaner said:

If finasteride isn't dose dependent, why are 5 mg used to treat BPH (benigne prostate hyperblast :p ) and not 1mg ?

2 different things. Hair and BPH.

Deaner is correct in the regards it is basically a non-dose dependent drug when it comes to hair.

Green Soap

Established Member
Reaction score
Wait a minute.

I thought minoxidil and finasteride grew hair back and then slowed down and maintained it.

You guys are telling me it grows your hair back and then in a couple of years taps out completely?

Eventually you are back to square one and it's all falling out again? Even while on the drugs?

:(

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
It's not that your body becomes immune to these treatments just that the underlying causes of hair loss continue to develop as we age and so their effectiveness is reduced.

bluenun

Reaction score
I was thinking of starting finasteride but as I have mild acne along with thinning hair I thought dutasteride maybe better as it effects both type 1 & 2 alpha reductase isoenzymes.

Would it be better for me to use dutasteride?

HairlossCA

Reaction score
OK, so I've been reading alot of threads recently about Dutasteride and it sounds like a very effective way to attack both types of DHT levels. I am currently taking 1.25mg of Finasteride daily but would certainly welcome a more effective replacement such as dutasteride. With all things considered, this leads to my question:

If dutasteride is REALLY that effective, why isn't it a no-brainer to replace Propecia/Proscar with dutasteride? Is it b/c it is more expensive or that the transition may cause massive frontal shedding? Or is it perhaps there are potentially more severe adverse effects with long term usage?

JJ Gittes

Established Member
Reaction score
fro said:
how do you avoid the hairline recession that all propecia responders switching to avodart get after a little while on avodart. Everyone who has been successful on propecia and then switched to avodart seems to be unhappy with their results.

This is really an overstatement gleaned from reading too many posts on hairloss forums. Not everybody encounters further hairline recession when switching from propecia to avodart, nor is "everyone" who uses avodart unhappy with the results.

I used Propecia for 3.5 years and switched to dutasteride four months ago. It hasn't killed my hairline (which, admittedly, was not really receding); I haven't had any killer sheds; no side effects; and thus far I'm pretty pleased with the drug. No miracles yet, but my hair definitely seems thicker and more robust.

Buffboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Regarding Dutasteride dosages:

0.5mg Dutasteride inhibits ~ 92% serum DHT and 55% scalp DHT
2.5mg Dutasteride inhibits ~ 95% serum DHT and 82% scalp DHT

This basically means, that you will achieve significantly better results by taking five capsules a day than only one. Because it's the scalp DHT you have to reduce.

So what I'm saying is that I think taking 2.5 mg Dutasteride a day is being VERY close to a cure against hairloss for MOST people.

But as seen below you will still supress scalp DHT much better using 0.5 mg Dutasteride a day than taking 1 mg Finasteride.

1.0 mg Finasteride inhibits ~ 70% serum DHT and 38% scalp DHT

I am currently taking 0.5 mg Dutasteride a day, but would definitely go for the 2.5 mg dose if I could aford it. But I can't, and doubt there is many who can! This dosage would cost around 2.798 Euros a year ($3.442), which is around 233 Euros a month ($286).

Finally, I don't think you should be so reluctant to try Dutasteride as IT IS FDA aproven - just not for hairloss. But I think the side effect rate is very exaggerated. I haven't felt a thing - and most of the guys in here haven't.

And if you should be so unlucky to have side effects, then simply stop taking the pills and the side effects will subside.

BTW, sorry for my imperfect English (I'm a Danish guy).

WiseJoeyD

Reaction score
I've been on Propecia for almost a year and have seen vertex region remain virtally unchanged (though I stll do the crazy dance to avoid any bright lights..you know the one...

Me: "er..do you mind if I move AWAY from the light?!"
God: .....yes!

And fringe region has recessed. Not sure but we're defintely in the norwood scale now where once I wasn't!

I was hoping to move onto Duasteride since it seems pretty aggressive in me and family (grandfather, on mothers side, went au naturel at 19...so I suppose I've managed to overcome that to a certain extent (20.4 now)

Could someone elaborate on the claims, exaggerated or otherwise, of people losing front hair when they switch to duasteride?

I'm ready to get it and begin taking it (at once a day, or less, it'll be the same price as Propecia sort of) but want to know about this, or any other "quirks"!

PS Any particularly good places for the UK to purchase it?

WiseJoeyD

Reaction score
While taking the usual (0.5mg) dose is better than Propecia, would there be ways o, for example, taking 4 or 5 in a go and waiting a few days (presuming this is utter rubbish).

Or, bearing in mind I don't want to be shelling out loads of money for more and more packets (because I'm eating 5 a day!), is it still going to be fair enough sticking to 1 a day? 55% isn't to be sniffed at!

PS: I always thought zinc was supposed to RAISE testosterone levels or at least make up a constituent part of it or some other androgenic hormone.....though loking around it seems this isn't the case.

marsbtchsx

Established Member
Reaction score
i have a question that must have been answered already somewhere but oh well....how much is dutasteride?

WiseJoeyD

Reaction score
I too was wondeirng about any other places to get dutasteride.
I've seen mention of that merliopharmacy.ch site and "instoredrugs" (incorrect name Iknow). What is the cheapest you can get "Offical" dutasteride for?

WiseJoeyD

Reaction score
Thanks for the info....though is there any UK ones out there? $124 work out at almost £70....this tempts me enormously to go with generic!!

I wasjust wondeirng if ALL generic drugs coem from Inida or such countries that aren't restrained by copyright/licensing laws?

I just dont want to go from taking official, though sort of expensive/not as efficient propecia, to taking ill-made, if-made-proper-is-more efective dutasteride.

I'd be tempted to take both drugs at the same time (have 3 months left of a 6 month prescription left) so that if they are duds, it won't afffect anything, whereas if they are fine, er, I'll have wasted 3 months Propecia money!! hmmmm......any suggestions?!